Anyone know what the Excalibur was? Vessel name before it. Taft brothers bought a new boat.

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Heard on Let's Talk Hookup that Joel Ralston is the Captain of the new Excalibur. Anyone know his creds?

fishfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
Heard from HM office that Joel is one of the guys operating it. Office said it depends on the specific trip. Nothing set in stone on who's runnin it on any given day . Oh well...... Bummer !

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
What's Joel's story? Don't know what boat he previously captained or what his reputation is. Anyone that can chime in?

fishfish

Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
Joel had a successful Captains career at the Landings about 10-20 years ago.
He was also the previous owner of the Relentless which historically was quite the fish killer back in the day.

Reactions: onehottip

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
I saw the Excalibur when we were coming back to port on NLA on my 2day, it did stick-out like a sore thumb & was impressive, kinda like the Ocean Odyssey ....
Big, doesnt mean fishy, just means roomy & high out of the water,,,

Reactions: fishstomp

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
I hope you are skinny cause Poseidon has 2ft between the galley and the rail,The Charisma has 4ft+. In a hot bite , its a big problem when you are 250lbs, just saying :D :cheers:
Top Gun 80 is also narrow up the rails. I fished it a few times when they first had t done. Such a bitchen boat, I never could figure out why they designed it so narrow. It definitely makes a difference fishing tuna.

Reactions: wildbunch

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
What's Joel's story? Don't know what boat he previously captained or what his reputation is. Anyone that can chime in?
Fished on the Conquest on a few charters with him running it and then on the Relentless a couple times before he dropped out of sight. Great Captain!

Reactions: fishstomp

Joel Kaplan

Aug 4, 2017
Upland, CA.
Name
Joel Kaplan
Boat
Not a boat owner
All sounds good about the Excalibur and it's total makeover. My question is about the heads and showers. Can anyone please advise if they are way up front at the bow, or located in a better place. And if the showers are for real or are they of that old style, as part of the toilet area. Please advise. Thank you.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none

Never been on the boat, but in the walk through video you can see the heads are at the back of house but outside. They don’t show inside them though.

Joel Kaplan

Aug 4, 2017
Upland, CA.
Name
Joel Kaplan
Boat
Not a boat owner
Big Bluefin Tuna, Caught Aug 20, 2016.jpg
Thank you very much. It looks like they have done an excellent job of a total remodel and makeover. Looks to be a great fishing platform, as well. I guess that I'll soon learn about the showers. I'm going fishing on the Excalibur in August. Thanks again. Tight lines!

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
Hey fellas.

Thinking about jumping on this boat Monday night for a one-day trip. I’ve never really liked fishing boats that are high off the water. Those of you that have fished on this boat... is that an issue? Otherwise looks like a great set up.

Thank you!

Pitchinwedge

Aug 7, 2016
So Cal
Name
Sammie
Boat
None
Not too high off the water at the stern. It's big, comfortable, AND fishy. One of my fave boats. Joel and crew are awesome. Good luck out there!

Edit: To clarify, as with any boat, it obviously gets higher at the bow....

greenscales

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2007
Monrovia
Name
Richard
Boat
Pro Angler 14
Fished both under the old names of Charisma and Encore back when those weird fish with the extended pectorals were around and using a 196-8 & TSM-II w/softer 15lb and pinheads on size 8s - landed up to 30lbs on the rig when nothing else got bit. The height allowed me to actually get a little more distance, line of site on the bait, and put the rod tip straight down to avoid a bow from the wind - so distance to water helped. Just need to wait for the gaff. Not as fun when fishing plastics or wide open bites and you want to bounce fish. I fish hard baits a lot know w/long rods and think the higher platforms allow me to work them better.

Usually great ride - but can snap a little w/the wide beam in the wrong trough angle. Keep in mind The boat is fat and was originally focused on dive over fishing. I want to get back on it soon myself.

Iron Rod

Im your Huckleberry!
Aug 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Michael
Boat
All off them. Usually.
Shit I think that's the Pacific Star . Waited and waited For my fish at Pier point .went home pissed the fuck off with nothing the Pier point Rats got me pretending to be on my trip itwas a WON charter . That crew killed the experience for Me and fuck that WON RED head Dick head .

Iron Rod

Im your Huckleberry!
Aug 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Michael
Boat
All off them. Usually.
Shit I think that's the Pacific Star . Waited and waited For my fish at Pier point .went home pissed the fuck off with nothing the Pier point Rats got me pretending to be on my trip itwas a WON charter . That crew killed the experience for Me and fuck that WON RED head Dick head .
If I'm wrong .My indeed apologies .

Joel Kaplan

Aug 4, 2017
Upland, CA.
Name
Joel Kaplan
Boat
Not a boat owner
I just returned from a 2 1/2 day trip (Aug 20 - 23). Wonderful fishing boat. Very wide beam makes for more space at the stern, especially because maximum load is held to 27. We were a full load of 27 and it never really felt crowded. The distance between the galley wall and the rail is wider than most any boat I have been on. Works great when running up the rail and having to go over/under other anglers. I did not find the height of the boat to negatively impact the fishing experience. The bow is tremendous and for throwing iron it's one of the best. We limited on yellowfin in the range of 15 to 25 # class. Mostly 20 #, so a very good trip. Only 5 bluefin and 5 yellowtail caught, but I can't complain. The crew is excellent at their job and very friendly. One of the best crews I have fished with. Captain Joel is outstanding. He is funny as hell, knows his stuff very well, and continuously engages with the anglers. He is on the deck when the bite is on and joins right in with all of the work. His wife is one of the cooks and her attitude is wonderful. They do a very good job in the galley. The quality of food could be kicked up a couple of ticks. But they do prepare it well and the galley service is great. The galley itself has been completely reupholstered for all booths. Each are very roomy and there is enough seating space that the entire group can be served with only 1 round. The bathrooms are a little skimpy in size but they have been updated with new fixtures and flooring, so it works out well enough. The showers are a bit tight, but they get the job done. The bait tanks are new, they are big, and they are great. Same is true for the bait wells. The tackle bag/box racks are located for easy access and there is plenty of space for everyone's bag/box. The bunks are the widest I have ever seen. There are 6 staterooms that each sleep 2 persons and also have exceptionally wide bunks. Board from the front of the line, throw your tackle bag on the rack, then quickly head down to the bunkroom so you have a better chance at getting a stateroom. The bunkroom loads from the galley, back by the kitchen. There are two stairwells. The one on the starboard (right hand) side accesses the staterooms and bunks, and the stairwell on the port (left hand) side accesses the forward bunks. I hope this helps. I'll definitely fish this boat again, and again... Have a great trip!