Anyone know what happened with the commercial over-harvest of crab from last season?

blindpig

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
Curious if anyone ever got fined or if the commercials will have a smaller quota this year or??? I'm assuming we just get fk'd per usual but I was hoping otherwise and hadn't heard of anything coming of it. Considering the reports coming in I wonder if this doesn't have a bit to do with the poor fishing in addition to the native carpet bomb before our opener.

Socket985

Jun 6, 2008
Buckley Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
21 ft ThunderJet OB/OS
Curious if anyone ever got fined or if the commercials will have a smaller quota this year or??? I'm assuming we just get fk'd per usual but I was hoping otherwise and hadn't heard of anything coming of it. Considering the reports coming in I wonder if this doesn't have a bit to do with the poor fishing in addition to the native carpet bomb before our opener.

We got an extra allotment and any charges were swept under the rug, as they all hope we'll forget about it. There will be a reminder to save a resource, we get 5 keepers now, that will be changed to 4 and two pots per person, might go to 1. as you know this is all not true and I'm being sarcastic because eventual our over harvest and pressure they've never seen before, will mean at some point we need to take less, to make up for there unpunished over harvest that goes on and on and on.

Reactions: blindpig

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
University Place Washington
Name
Larry
Boat
20 foot Grady-White, Pipe Dream
Are you asking in general? Or do you have a specific management area in mind?

Crunchy

Feb 27, 2010
Puyallup
Name
Raphael
Boat
18 ft Hewescraft Sportsman
Yes I know. Absolutely nothing!! God forbid one of us get caught with one or two extra fish. We get hammered. I saw this WDFW show where they took a guys boat and rods because he had too many squid.

blindpig

Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
Are you asking in general? Or do you have a specific management area in mind?
I guess it would be in general as I never heard where the overharvest occurred. They harvested 140000 pounds over their quota last year. Was wondering if anything was done about it as it seemed to just get swept under the rug. Maybe I just didnt see it if anything WAS done to the buyers. Whether they knew or not, (not buying the idea that they didnt considering the evidence posted) the commercial quota should be diminished this year but I won't be surprised if it isn't.

blindpig

Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
And I just realized I posted in wrong section...sry all.

cuttslayer

Oct 13, 2017
Des Moines WA
Name
Chris Nason
Boat
SeaEra
My understanding is the overharvest was dispersed between the entire sound. The southern tribes were adamant about getting their share. This led to a premature opener in A11 that has been closed for 2 years and IMO needed 1 more. The tribal harvest of 37,000 lbs. Dictated what rec. Fisheries were "owed"

So there were no penalties just an opportunity to further harvest a rebounding population. Will be lucky to harvest for a few years after the damage has been done.

Reactions: YellowJet

YellowJet

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2018
Oak Harbor
Name
Tim
Boat
19’ Thunderjet
Yes I know. Absolutely nothing!! God forbid one of us get caught with one or two extra fish. We get hammered. I saw this WDFW show where they took a guys boat and rods because he had too many squid.
Ha. Saw that episode of North Woods Law. That guy deserved to go to jail. He was a multiple offender, with no license, hiding a pile of rockfish, pretending to not speak any English, fishing in the middle of the night, under the cover of squid fishing. But point taken.

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
Name
Larry
Boat
I guess it would be in general as I never heard where the overharvest occurred. They harvested 140000 pounds over their quota last year. Was wondering if anything was done about it as it seemed to just get swept under the rug. Maybe I just didnt see it if anything WAS done to the buyers. Whether they knew or not, (not buying the idea that they didnt considering the evidence posted) the commercial quota should be diminished this year but I won't be surprised if it isn't.
First, the goal is to have an agreed upon total quota for each of the distinct management areas (MA). Achieving that goal has been problematic in some MAs with MA 13 probably the most egregious in recent years. For 2020 WDFW preferred to not have a State rec or tribal commercial season in MA 11. The Puyallup tribe forced the State's hand by providing notice that it was going to turn loose its commercial crabbers. Subsequent negotiations yielded an agreement for a somewhat reduced total quota in MA 11 of 75,000 pounds which, split 50/50 leaving the State with 37,500 pounds and the challenge of establishing a season in MA 11 to stay under that harvest quota and also complement the season in MA 10 which still has a pay-back obligation due to overharvest in 2018 and 2019. It was not a pretty process.

Now, as to the original question I assume that is for the "over harvest" in 2019/2020 in MA 8-1/8-2 (2E in crabby terms). Pre-season the co-managers agreed to an overall quota leaving tribes and the State with set poundage. After the summer rec season that harvest poundage was deducted from the State quota and then an estimated winter rec harvest was also deducted leaving poundage for the NT commercials. Their season began 1 Oct and that is when the problem occurred.

The NT commercials hit a jackpot with large harvest numbers and several buyers failing to timely report fish tickets as required (next day by 10 AM). By the time the managers realized what was occurring and issued an emergency closure the NT commercials had harvested not only their quota but the rec's winter poundage plus a large poundage which was over the State quota. The tribes then demanded to fish to parity which manifested itself as an increase in the overall quota to include the poundage needed to reopen the rec season in mid-November.

Subsequently the total quota was raised again in 2E supposedly due to a determination that there were sufficient crab available to support additional harvest. Payback to the recs? An extension of the winter season through January in nasty weather and after the tribal and NT commercials had pretty much reduced the harvestable biomass.

So what has occurred in dealing with those buyers? Last I heard WDFW LE is still investigating and those buyers are still operating. Wheels of justice grind slowly.

Sorry this was so long but I felt it was necessary to lay out the stories. Hope it helps.

Reactions: Siv

blindpig

Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher
First, the goal is to have an agreed upon total quota for each of the distinct management areas (MA). Achieving that goal has been problematic in some MAs with MA 13 probably the most egregious in recent years. For 2020 WDFW preferred to not have a State rec or tribal commercial season in MA 11. The Puyallup tribe forced the State's hand by providing notice that it was going to turn loose its commercial crabbers. Subsequent negotiations yielded an agreement for a somewhat reduced total quota in MA 11 of 75,000 pounds which, split 50/50 leaving the State with 37,500 pounds and the challenge of establishing a season in MA 11 to stay under that harvest quota and also complement the season in MA 10 which still has a pay-back obligation due to overharvest in 2018 and 2019. It was not a pretty process.

Now, as to the original question I assume that is for the "over harvest" in 2019/2020 in MA 8-1/8-2 (2E in crabby terms). Pre-season the co-managers agreed to an overall quota leaving tribes and the State with set poundage. After the summer rec season that harvest poundage was deducted from the State quota and then an estimated winter rec harvest was also deducted leaving poundage for the NT commercials. Their season began 1 Oct and that is when the problem occurred.

The NT commercials hit a jackpot with large harvest numbers and several buyers failing to timely report fish tickets as required (next day by 10 AM). By the time the managers realized what was occurring and issued an emergency closure the NT commercials had harvested not only their quota but the rec's winter poundage plus a large poundage which was over the State quota. The tribes then demanded to fish to parity which manifested itself as an increase in the overall quota to include the poundage needed to reopen the rec season in mid-November.

Subsequently the total quota was raised again in 2E supposedly due to a determination that there were sufficient crab available to support additional harvest. Payback to the recs? An extension of the winter season through January in nasty weather and after the tribal and NT commercials had pretty much reduced the harvestable biomass.

So what has occurred in dealing with those buyers? Last I heard WDFW LE is still investigating and those buyers are still operating. Wheels of justice grind slowly.

Sorry this was so long but I felt it was necessary to lay out the stories. Hope it helps.

That's pretty much everything that was laid out after the occurrence so basically nothing is being done other than the possibility of slow justice to the buyers. The crabbers knew they were over and continued to fish. No reason their quota couldnt be reduced for this year and it dang well should be. If it isn't, then as stated above the recreational guys are getting the shaft yet again. No courtesy reach around either!

Pipe Dream

Jun 15, 2009
Name
Larry
Boat
That's pretty much everything that was laid out after the occurrence so basically nothing is being done other than the possibility of slow justice to the buyers. The crabbers knew they were over and continued to fish. No reason their quota couldnt be reduced for this year and it dang well should be. If it isn't, then as stated above the recreational guys are getting the shaft yet again. No courtesy reach around either!
I agree and actually proposed that the 2021 winter season in 2E and 2W open the day after summer season closes and that by doing so the 2020/21 NT commercial quotas effectively be reduced by the increase in rec harvest estimated for that additional 4 weeks. Well, you can see how well that went over........thud.

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport

It does. Thanks

Mr. Doodles

I'm the BIG Dog
Jul 3, 2011
Des Moines WA (Redondo)
Name
Ron
Boat
2002 Trophy "The Doodle Lynn"

And we wonder why our seasons are so F'd up at this rate there will never be improvement what a bunch of crap!

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Just wear your mask and quit being disobedient or we will all have more time outs.

Reactions: Elkfins