Anyone know what happened on the American Angler?

Dexter Outdoors

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Looks like they had to cut their calstar 12day short . I saw the boat yesterday at the landing and said to myself "what are they doing there"

Saw this just posted on there site , maybe a medical emergency?

"You may have noticed the absence of fish reports during the Calstar 12 day that was to return tomorrow, but due to circumstances beyond our control the boat had to cut the trip short. The American Angler wants to thank everyone on board from the bottom of our heart for your patience and understanding – to John H, Chris S, Toki, Allen V, Nacho, Bill, Al M, John F (who is finally headed home and on the mend), Eric, Alan M, Kam (onboard medic), Bryce, David H, Gale, Tony, Ray (onboard Dr.) and Raymond, Talky, Wes, Michael, Bob D, Glenn and Rodney. And thank you Glenn Kuromi, Calstar rep, for playing out the trip with generous giveaways and tremendous moral support.
The boat is in top notch condition and ready to rock for Thursday morning’s 14 day Accurate trip. We’ll have a 6am sign in to depart by 7am and look forward to seeing all.
Happy New Year and our wishes to you for a healthy and prosperous 2015,
American Angler"

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Well, I hope it wasn't a medical problem and if it was I hope there was a quick and full recovery, and that the privacy of the person involved will be protected. On the other hand, if it was mutiny (just to suggest a hypothetical possibility much more interesting than mechanical failure, etc., not that I have heard anything specific) it would be fun to hear the details. Inquiring minds want to know!

Upvote 0

Mike Barrera

Feb 25, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Mike B
Boat
None
Well, I hope it wasn't a medical problem and if it was I hope there was a quick and full recovery, and that the privacy of the person involved will be protected. On the other hand, if it was mutiny (just to suggest a hypothetical possibility much more interesting than mechanical failure, etc., not that I have heard anything specific) it would be fun to hear the details. Inquiring minds want to know!

Upvote 0

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
Jan 28, 2009
SoCal and Victoria, BC
Name
Jeff
Boat
63 Nordhavn
Sensitive topics should be avoided on public forums. This is how rumors ,and inacurrate info and here say is spread , and the privacy of person(s) involved be protected. Let's talk fishing!

Rumors are spread when somebody asks a question and people dodge the question or try to change the subject. Lack of information generates rumors and more conversation.

If they had a mechanical problem or a medical issue (both happen), they should just say so and that's the end of it. The gearbox problem sounds reasonable and no one will hold it against them if that's the case (once it fixed). Trying to change the subject will mean pages of theories and rumors and crap. I say go the easy route.

One man's opinion.

JD

Upvote 0

fishdad1956

Jul 30, 2013
valencia
Name
al
Boat
meal money
I was on the Calstar trip , the third day out we lost a gearbox and had too return to San Diego for safety of the passengers and crew. I want to thank the crew Brad, Andy, Justin and David and Captain Ray.Don't let me forget Mark and Doc in the galley , they kept us fed and happy on the slow ride home.
I want to say thank' s too Sam and Lori who met us at the dock and made it right with all the passengers on the trip , I know I'll be back on the Angler soon .
Hope I did not leave and crew out , if I did I am sorry .
Al M.

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat
reel lady
Thanks Al for posting, glad the boat and everyone made it back OK.

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
What does "made it right with all the passengers" mean? ...

It means nobody is complaining here on Bloodydecks LOL
AA is definitely a family operation, customers are part of that family too. There are reasons you never here bad internet gossip about that boat and crew.
I hope you have a great 8-day, my wife and I sure had a good one last fall.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
It means nobody is complaining here on Bloodydecks LOL
AA is definitely a family operation, customers are part of that family too. There are reasons you never here bad internet gossip about that boat and crew.
I hope you have a great 8-day, my wife and I sure had a good one last fall.
X2

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
What does "made it right with all the passengers" mean? I'm not being a wise ass but really want to know how passengers are treated in such a circumstance. What generally happens when such a thing happens? Many businesses have terms of service one must agree to which exclude any refunds etc for natural disaster, war or terrorist acts which means you're SOL if anything bad happens. I understand we accept certain risks of travel. I imagine different boat operators respond in different ways when "S" happens. Can members respond with how they have been treated in the event of a trip cut short. Kudos to Sam, Lori and Brian for their honorable response to this unusual event. I'm booking my eight day trip on the AA today. Cheers...
If the need to know is important call and ask them they have a good rep for being honest good luck on your 8 day

Upvote 0