Anyone know palm trees?

Discussion in 'Nonsense Anything Boards' started by el Toro, May 26, 2014.

1. el Toro

el Toro I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Why do mine look like shit? They yellow off gradually and then the fronds die. More water, less water? Fertilizer?

image.jpg

2. Slater

Slater cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    sold! / cattle boat
    Im no pro but just went looked at 3 queens & 2 kings in the hot el cajon sun & would say youre onto something as mine are somewhat more green / less yellow besides the dead frawns that need to be pulled..
    My guess is not enough water as mine have been in for almost 10years & never once hit them with fertilizer.
    palm2.jpg

palm1.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  3. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    Check the soil. Usually too much water. Is it wet?

4. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    Hey Nate, I bet you are starting to hate those queens huh? Most people do now, and end up bailing on them.

The Queens were once the hot ticket cheap but cool Palm here in SoCal, but now they are kind of like the old Mexican Fan Palms from long ago..... people start hating them. The attraction for most is that they are a quick growing palm, but that ends up being what most hate not far down the road, as they outgrow most homes, unless it's maybe a two story..... but being that they aren't self pruning means once they are tall, it's a pain in the ass to keep them trimmed as they produce new fronds often.

I'm not saying all this because I don't have any, because I have plenty that I am working to get rid of in the near future....... I have been a palm freak for many years now..... I love certain palms, but have come to hate queens........ it's mostly slow growing palms and bitchen cycads for me now.

Your palms (and some of mine) need some foods and nutrients, here is the answer to your question though in the below link.

http://www.evergreennursery.com/are-you-cursed-with-yellow-queen-palm-fronds

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  5. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Read that thanks. Mine don't start out yellow as new growths, they turn yellow. As new fronds they leaf out green and then slowly turn yellow, then brown and fall over. This happens very slowly over time.

6. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    They don't need water here . They grow like weeds if ignored.

7. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    Remember palms are related to grass more than actual trees.

Less water. Deep and infrequent. Being a water manager for a living, I irrigate palms once every 7-11 day for 100-150 mins using drip emitters (6-1GPH) or 20-30 minutes (2-1GPM)using bubblers. If your palms are in turf, stop watering the palms and reduce the amount of watering to the turf. You should be only watering turf every other day or third day.

Queen palms are gay.

Get some palm fertilizer stakes and pound in the ground next to the emitters. Fertilizer is food. Every crop in the world requires food, not just water. Especially in a drought. Never fertilize when they are in shock, but they don't appear to be in shock or stressed

You have new growth on the palms. You'll be fine. Queen palms just look like shit 90% of the time.

8. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    And I cut everything below a 90' angle.....

9. yakergreg

yakergreg Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Crestliner Angler
    That's the ticket right there.

10. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    Healthy new growth and yellowing older growth is a sign of one of the mobile NPK nutrients being deficient. Most likely nitrogen.

11. cabo jon

cabo jon Carey-On

Name:
    jon
    Boat:
    Carey-On
    ^ Wrong plant.:D

12. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Ok, that helps. Sounds like a combination of some fertilizer needed and some watering changes. Problem is they are in a bed with some shrubs, right next to the lawn. I think it would be hard to give them deep infrequent watering without harming the shrubs. And stop insulting my gay palms. They deserve love too. I didn't plant them. They were here when I bought the house.

13. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Easy fix.

Water heavy once a week and fertilize 2-3 times per year. Vigoro Palm and Ornamental from Home Depot works great.

14. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    According to my friend Mike, who did all the landscape and mainenance for both the Catamaran and the Bahia hotels, the problem may be the salt spray in the air if you live too close to the ocean. He also said that salt in the sandy soil near the beach is a problem if the tree doesn't get enough fresh water. He is also a biologist, certified arborist and palm expert and recommends fertilizing every 3rd, 6th and 9th month of the year with the proper fertilizer...

15. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    If you want to do it right, get yourself a auger with a 4" bit. Drill 1 hole on each side of the palm about 4'-5' deep. Get your self some 4" PVC perforated pipe at Home Depot (thin wall pipe) and put in the whole with a cap in it. Put your bubblers or emitters in the pipe and water once a week. You'll get deep watering and oxygen down deep. Thats the preferred way.

16. lj.fish

lj.fish Fun Shit Maynard!

Name:
    larry
    Boat:
    Julia Lee
    Nothing like a good chainsaw to fix your problem.

la vida likes this.
  17. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    How far from the tree trunk do I put the pipe hole? Seems like that would cut a lot of roots.

18. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator

This is the way to go FOR SURE, but to spend the time and effort on a $100 tree just doesn't make sense. All few of my big $$$ plants have these breather pipes.

Try what I said first. You can also take 5# of that fertilizer and dig a well all the way around the tree about 1' down, put the fertilizer in there recover it.

Queen palms are like weeds. Don't over think it.

When you plant them in the future, Dig the hole an extra foot deep, add DG then topsoil and the plant. Your palms will love it.

19. el Toro

Name:
    Nate
    Boat:
    Artemis
    Donkey boy, I didn't plant them. They have been here for decades. The most cost effective solution is to take care of them. Digging around them isn't going to happen as the ground beneath them is covered in flowers and shrubby stuff that I'd like to keep. Driving a pipe is easier actually.

20. Gil Marlin

Gil Marlin World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    19.655' Aluminum
    I forgot that if there are a lot of plants surrounding the palm they will rob the palm of nutients too... :D