Anyone have issues with their tern?

Accurate Fishing Reels
Jan 12, 2013
Highland
Name
Brandon
Boat
anything that floats!
I bought a tern 400 from a shop on Ebay, drop shipped from accurate. This was a few months ago, finally went out last weekend and the tern wouldn't go into free spool. Took it directly to accurate Monday morning and Al took a look at it and said something must have come loose. I checked it out and it seemed fine. Went on another trip this weekend and I no more that rigged it up and the same thing happened again. So Monday I'm off to Corona again..... not having a lot of confidence in the tern.

Anyone having issues?

Upvote 0

PezGallo21

Advertiser
Advertiser
Jul 2, 2014
Name
Will
Boat
Golden Domer 21' Angler
I bought a tern 400 from a shop on Ebay, drop shipped from accurate. This was a few months ago, finally went out last weekend and the tern wouldn't go into free spool. Took it directly to accurate Monday morning and Al took a look at it and said something must have come loose. I checked it out and it seemed fine. Went on another trip this weekend and I no more that rigged it up and the same thing happened again. So Monday I'm off to Corona again..... not having a lot of confidence in the tern.

Anyone having issues?

I am sorry you are having issues. Shoot me a PM and I will get you taken care of.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
ACCURATE has good customer service and great damage control .

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2013
Highland
Name
Brandon
Boat
anything that floats!
Ok, to close out this thread...took the reel off the pole and it completely seized. Drove it to accurate and Matt took very good care of me. The tern may be hit and miss but accurate service is indeed top notch!!

Reactions: finsane and One_Leg
Upvote 0

knot keely

Aug 9, 2014
The Bight
Name
Dan
Boat
Anderson 22 - Slingshot
Ok, to close out this thread...took the reel off the pole and it completely seized. Drove it to accurate and Matt took very good care of me. The tern may be hit and miss but accurate service is indeed top notch!!

Did they tell you what the problem was, and what they did to fix it??

Upvote 0

TheJollyRoger

aaaaaarrrrgggg
Jun 7, 2019
Newport
Name
Jon
Boat
None
I just got a Tern 400 in the mail today. Does anyone else find the reel not smooth?
I have the 500. Mine is smooth just not buttery smooth. At first it’s was easy to feel all the gears working together as I turned the handle, but after I took it out on an overnight and fished it the whole day I had no worries. It’s not smooth like a Trinidad, but it’s a hell of a work horse. If it’s sounds/feels crunchy or unevenly smooth as you turn the handle, I suggest sending it in for service, or contacting the site you bought it from.

Reactions: CT_1134
Upvote 0

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
Smooth is not always the best thing. Brass gears vs stainless gears.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Break in period is ok.
Break down isn't ok.

They will make it right if there is a problem.

Upvote 0

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
Stainless gears do not feel as smooth right out of the box like brass does. Over time they will get smoother. Much stronger than brass and more reliable. There is a difference in feel though between feeling the gears meshing and grinding. Give it time. Maybe when just sitting around grab the reel and just crank the handle, little drag pressure obviously.

Reactions: One_Leg and CT_1134
Upvote 0
Sep 16, 2007
glendora ca.
Name
steve huth
Boat
mike's-bill's good to have friends

Anyone having issues?
I used my 500 Down in bay of LA throwing Halco lured all day for large grouper and never had a single problem all day. Landed 6 up to 15lb. Fished 65lb spectra with 3’ of 80lb top shot. Cast great and lots of stopping power.

Upvote 0