Anyone have experience with in-hull transducers like the Airmar R599

McCann

Nov 17, 2021
Oregon
Name
Aaron McCann
Boat Name
Ocean Yachts 42' SS
I need to upgrade my museum quality electronics, on a 1981 42' Ocean SS. I'm leaning towards Garmin, thoughts? In-hull vs thru-hull and go!

Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Larkspur
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Parker 2820
    Get ready for the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge replies brother. Lots of good systems to be had out there. I love my Garmin system as it's my first real offshore system and I know how it works. If you are considering the airmar 599 you are not screwing around.

Reactions: McCann
    Upvote 0

McCann

Nov 17, 2021
    Oregon
    Name
    Aaron McCann
    Boat Name
    Ocean Yachts 42' SS
    Get ready for the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge replies brother. Lots of good systems to be had out there. I love my Garmin system as it's my first real offshore system and I know how it works. If you are considering the airmar 599 you are not screwing around.
    bwahahaha right! They have less expensive models that may be sufficient? Or like Capt. Ralph said the current ones maybe just fine for my application? Ford!

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat Name
    Parker 2320
    I’ve had very good luck with my Garmin products.

I’ve never had a in-hull but you won’t get water temps with that style of ducer.

Thru hulls and transom mounts will give you water temps.

I have the TM185HW and B175M.

My transom mount works just as good as my thru hull but I mounted it aggressively.

Both are good ducers but my TM185HW gives a better picture in the upper water column.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

vipertom1970

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    Simrad NSS EVO3s or NSS EVO3(little slower but 1/2 the price) and B275LHW if you slip your boat

Upvote 0

vipertom1970

Tuna Sniper
    Oct 26, 2015
    Inland Empire
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    2018 Parker 2320 SL
    I hate their new naming convention. Its stupid. I thought you meant multiple EVO3. I find nothing in the EVO3S that is worth the price over a EVO3. The slightly faster CPU is the only difference.
    yep, not worth the double in price for couple seconds slower.

Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Larkspur
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Parker 2820
    Brother I'm no expert but I do know that the 3KW Airmar 599 + - $3,000 is for deep water. In fact I'm in the process of ordering one as we speak for swordfish. They are used mainly on the gulf and east coast for swordfish at depth and deep water fish...golden tiles etc. For fishing west coast style a 1KW chirp transducer such as the B175 (1KW) or B75 (600W) would probably fill the bill depending on the species you will be targeting. There are many variations in cone angle, low, high, wide, and combinations for varying depths. Some are better for some things than others.

Upvote 0

McCann

Nov 17, 2021
    Oregon
    Name
    Aaron McCann
    Boat Name
    Ocean Yachts 42' SS
    Brother I'm no expert but I do know that the 3KW Airmar 599 + - $3,000 is for deep water. In fact I'm in the process of ordering one as we speak for swordfish. They are used mainly on the gulf and east coast for swordfish at depth and deep water fish...golden tiles etc. For fishing west coast style a 1KW chirp transducer such as the B175 (1KW) or B75 (600W) would probably fill the bill depending on the species you will be targeting. There are many variations in cone angle, low, high, wide, and combinations for varying depths. Some are better for some things than others.
    Thanks for the reply, most of the fishing I will be doing is in the first 100, there are some exceptions, like halibut. Mostly salmon and rock fish in the PNW, until the tuna get here.

Upvote 0

openclass

Slam
  • May 28, 2009
    Larkspur
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Parker 2820
    If you are mainly fishing the first couple of hundred feet your best bet is probably going to be the B175H or B175HW. They are excellent chirp transducers that will give satisfying image returns. They would need a GSD26 (Garmin) to fire it if your chirp MFD couldn't.

Upvote 0