Anyone have concerns on Grays Harbor Bar crossing on Thursday, gonna be interesting?

Roll the Bones

Dr. Fong
Jul 15, 2008
Operating Room
Name
Dr. Fong
Boat
Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
Weather and tide look really shitty for a reasonably early start, looks like to me before 4:00 AM (shit that's early) or after 7:30 AM (shit that's late) on the later. Dare I say restriction?

bducky

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 31, 2017
elma
Name
bob
Boat
20 ft duckworth
the tide is screwed but weather from the NOAA site says 5 15 N.W. winds, wind waves 2 ft. or less, west swell 5 ft. Timing of tides sucks, tidal exchange sucks, hopefully quota holds 'till next week when exchange rates are reasonable.

• Wow
Reactions: Genie Aye

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
Weather and tide look really shitty for a reasonably early start, looks like to me before 4:00 AM (shit that's early) or after 7:30 AM (shit that's late) on the later. Dare I say restriction?
we won't know till we go! it sure is forecasted to be sporty. doesn't seem to matter is halibut season is in august or may seems to find the winds

Reactions: Genie Aye

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
You wouldn’t ask this question if you were still a prick...

Emzbuddy

I miss sports
Mar 13, 2008
Bothell, WA
Name
Doug
Boat
Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out, Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
Decisions. Decisions.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Not sure about the tides but what the fuck are you doing to that poor elephant in your avatar???

jonnyboy852

Jul 3, 2009
Seattle
Name
Jon
Boat
282 Sailfish GW
Forecast just changed a little...
NW wind 10 to 20 kt becoming W 5 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 6 ft at 8 seconds. A slight chance of rain in the morning. A slight chance of showers in the afternoon.

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
I don’t know about all you kids, but fishing should be fun, and tomorrow in my boat doesn’t look like ‘epic’ or anything like it. Pulled the plug for a better day. Be safe out there guys!

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
We did an early like really early run to Olympia from Westport to an emergency vet for our old Lab. Obstruction in her stomach...damn labs will eat anything. It was raining hard this morning. Bunch of boats on the highway headed toward Westport. On the way back from Oly we met 3 or 4 boats headed the other way so they must of bagged it. Not much wind now at the place...3 or 4 mph.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
How’s the dog? Had that happen to my current idiot. Vet wanted >$4k on a Sunday. I told them I’d donate $4k to an orphanage before spending it on her. Heck, a new one would be $1,200. Put her down. Vet about fell over. Then negotiated it to under $2,700 and included spaying her while they were in there. 😂.

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
How’s the dog? Had that happen to my current idiot. Vet wanted >$4k on a Sunday. I told them I’d donate $4k to an orphanage before spending it on her. Heck, a new one would be $1,200. Put her down. Vet about fell over. Then negotiated it to under $2,700 and included spaying her while they were in there. 😂.
We don't know yet. She's 12 1/2 and very arthritic. They're holding her, giving fluids et cetera to see if she clears out otherwise we'll have to take her elsewhere and probably surgery. Plus because of the problem she aspirated while trying to vomit so has pneumonia......damn dog anyway but they're family.

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
So as I'm sort of new to westport and rough bar crossings... On days like yesterday and you plan on fishing north...do most of you just run across the opening on the inside then turn out to cross the bar on the north side of the entrance?

There were waves breaking in the middle where I usually would cross...but I figured WTF...send it. And so I sent it. But once through the snotty stuff I needed to go north to drop my pots off.

That's when I noticed the highway of boats running the bar on the north side.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
So as I'm sort of new to westport and rough bar crossings... On days like yesterday and you plan on fishing north...do most of you just run across the opening on the inside then turn out to cross the bar on the north side of the entrance?

There were waves breaking in the middle where I usually would cross...but I figured WTF...send it. And so I sent it. But once through the snotty stuff I needed to go north to drop my pots off.

That's when I noticed the highway of boats running the bar on the north side.
In my experience, when it's rough, the north side is typically rougher because you get waves coming from 2 or 3 directions. Typically on snotty days like yesterday I will try to cross a bit south of the green cans then turn north after I'm out a ways.