Anyone have a video of a Radon going downswell?

Mr Lingcod

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
Very curious if anyone has a video of a Radon going downswell in good size swell. Not flat seas. Anyone?

After a long time of talking with people, observing and being on the ocean, I've come to understand how the design works. In simple terms, the soft front end and big belly for buoyancy equal a fast ride back to harbor, without broaching. But I've never seen it in action.... in seas big enough for it to matter.

Anyone have such a video?

Alexvi

Aug 6, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Name
Alex
Boat
Rock Steady - Davis Rock Harbor #001
No video, but plenty of downhill trips. The last one was coming back from Anacapa in 40+ gusts and 5-8ft swells. Had one person that was hanging on for his life for the fist 20 minutes of the ride, then calmed down and said, "now I get this Radon cult thing." We were literally surfing waves all the way back to the harbor.

wasabi.jpg

Last edited:

starbright55

Dec 4, 2011
San Diego
Name
TH
Boat
17' Avon Searider
It's true - it's been glassy heading over and going into it I can only go 23-24 knots, coming home with it (and standard wind chop on top) and I'm going 30 knots. No video...I'm usually driving.

sbsurfer

Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
Not going downhill but here's one running in Hawaii:

Mr Lingcod

Mar 20, 2017
Santa Barbara
Name
Jesse
Boat
The Last Soviet
Not going downhill but here's one running in Hawaii:
That's pretty great, right there. You can see how the big belly really keeps her form burying the bow. Downswell this gets really magnified. Thanks for posting.