Fishnski

Fish, ski, repeat
May 12, 2009
Seattle
Name
Jeff
Boat
Sold
.... the new Shimano Tekota reels ( ex: 600A or 600LCA)
Saw them at the new West Marine in Seattle (Ballard) .
Think I prefer the old style myself

Whattaya think?

jskfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 2, 2006
Federal Way, WA
Name
John Kapica
Boat
Pursuit 315OS
I bought a new style 500 last year and like the shape of the old round style better but the function is as good and probably a little better. Have not fished it too much yet but the drags seem a little better as well.

Rougarou

One More Pass?
Jul 6, 2012
Coon Bay, WA
www.rougarourods.com
Name
Eric
Boat
Looking
Good stuff from the few that I have done. They made improvements to the side plate to make the ARB more accessible and also have placed seals on the front and back side to improve resistance to water intrusion. Drags are now carbon fiber.

It is a bit more fiddly to service. I like the addition of the side plate to seal off the spool. Handle seems nicer...we'll see how it holds up over time.

Line counter still sucks (maybe more so) both the mechanism itself and window. Still has plastic idle gears.

I'd buy it.

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
I believe all modern level wind reels have plastic idler gears. This is done so that in case you get your finger stuck in the level wind when a fish is running, the plastic will break instead of your finger. IMHO the new Tektas are superior to the originals but you're right: The counter sill sucks big time.

Sf_Montauk_17

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 20, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Steven Ng
Boat
1977 Boston Whaler Montauk 17
Sorry I have not fished them yet, BUT I will say the new toriums are super! And cost friendly!

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
I have several new and old style. I went with the new style recently because...

1) Now in lefty version...not for me personally but need a couple on my boat.

2) 6.3 ratio so they crank fast. Super fast for bringing in gear!

3) Smaller profile. (at least 600’s)

And as Redzwulf stated. Gears are better sealed from the spool. (older ones always seem to get a lot of salt crust, redzwulf knows more)

What I don’t like:
1) Crank feels much more offset to centerline, i prefer crank centerlined to the spool as much as possible (rare to find reels this way anymore)

2) Crank handle itself is the modern power style, not the longer style with the small knob.

2) Smaller profile means it’s harder to access the line on the spool. (a la bird’s nest)... I often buy bigger reels just so my stupid fat fingers can access the line.

This said, i like the old style, but there’s enough in the new style to warrant upgrading as warranted.

Reactions: Rougarou