Anyone fishing an edgewater?

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by BNaks, Aug 6, 2011.

1. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    Hello BDers,
    I was wondering if anyone fishes on an edgewater cc out here. I'm doing a lot of research on these boats and wanted to hear some first hand local experience. I've seen posts from Jimmy where he fished on a friends' 188cc. I'm looking more toward a 170, 175, or 185. I think someone fishes a 170 out north. Anyway, any info appreciated. Local or not. Lol

2. Dropper Loop

Dropper Loop Hana hou!

Name:
    Uncle B
    Boat:
    24 Funai
    I think in that size range it is comparable to newer style Boston whaler. Not talking montauk whalers but more like outrage hull but smaller. Sorry no first hand experience but have done some research on it. Unsinkable hull and the edgewater guy used to work for whaler too. In that size range more of a hybrid boat then offshore, so gonna be more stable but not going cut the wave like your hawk. The 20+ footer EW boats more suitable for offshore with more of deep v hull design but still stable. Not a racing hull for sure.

3. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Brandon, PM sent...

4. keverly

keverly Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    20 foot BW outrage
    Hey Brandon are you considering selling your current boat?

5. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Brandon,
    I talked to my friend Les, he's more than willing to answer your questions....My daytime cel# 779-9801 6AM to 2:30PM

6. BNaks

BNaks Newbie

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Baby Hawk
    This is pretty much what I got from my research too. I just haven't fished a newer outrage. Just been on the older one and the older montauks. I think the ew has a sharper entry than the bw to cut waves a little better. I know the ride won't be anything like my boat.

I am seriously considering it even though everyone I know thinks it's a BAD move...

Hey Jimmy, had a busy weekend. I'll be in touch this week...

7. keverly

keverly Newbie

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    20 foot BW outrage
    I don't want to suggest you sell your boat but if you do decide to please let me know. My number is 808-854-4484 or pm me. Thanks

8. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    I have a Boston Whaler 190 Outrage, It rode alright with the center console. Was to a$$ heavy and a very wet boat! If you got the bow weighted down with +200lbs of ice/fish it rode a lot nicer. It's has since been heavily modified with a 2 foot extension, cab, twin motor (which are lighter then the previous single motor) and now is a fish killer. People asking me questions about the boat every time I take it out which is getting old but that's because for Kauai it's considered the perfect size and competing against a force, alii kai or glass pro of similar size you would be surprised by the ride. But how it came from the "factory" was by no mean's a competition.

Anyways I looked at Edgewater's before I bought my Whaler back in 2008. Very nice boats but not really set up for fishing in Hawaii. Could very easily be adapted with some simple bow weights and some rain gear or some kind of enclosure. Also keep in mind 8' beam's are really a lot more stable then 7'.

Bottom line is does it suit your needs in a boat? The hardest part is being brutally honest with yourself or you will most likely regret it in the long run.

9. munsen13

munsen13 Newbie

Name:
    IA
    Boat:
    17' Montauk
    Agree with JB on "A$$ Heavy" part of the BW. Usually stock a fish bag with ice and a cooler with ice on the front on mine to spread the weight on it. I'm sure even moving the center console up would make a difference on my boat at least.

10. eyym

eyym Newbie

Name:
    E Matsunaga
    Edgewaters are supposed to be self bailing, and we've not had problems.

It is a wet boat, which is why we stuck some strataglass on the bimini.

sorry can't help you with comparing to a BW, haven't been in one.