Anyone fish the new Teramar line-up yet?

Discussion in 'The Bass Fishing Club' started by Reel_Newbie, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Reel_Newbie

Reel_Newbie Roll With It..

Name:
    Cesar
    Boat:
    Dauntless 18
    If you've fished the new WC Teramar series with the split grip and up-locking reel seat, please provide opinions on the action/actions. It's been a while since I've purchased a factory rod, and these are at the top of the list followed closely by the Abu Volatile.

Thanks.

2. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    they're nice, feels like the old termars minus the handle section. I got the crankbait rod 8ft mh and im happy with it

3. lovefofish

lovefofish Peanut Gallery

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    15' whaler
    Turners got some in so I checked em out. First one I picked up 2' of the tip snapped like a twig. It was probably a faulty wrap on a guide but scared the shit out of me

4. get some

get some So Cal Editor BD Writer

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Robalo 226 Cayman
    You should talk to Evan Salvay, he was fishing with some of the prototypes last year.

5. martian

martian Newbie

Name:
    Jays
    Boat:
    boatless
    I may be wrong, but I thought the old and new were made from the same blanks. Anyways, the EVA/split grips and up-locking reel seat all feel good to me.

6. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    I have an old one, and just picked up a new split grip model. Same blanks, minus the fact that the new 8 footer is actually 7'11", but I think that due to the fact that new ones don't have the traditional rubber buttcap that extends it a little. This also makes the overall handle/butt grip about 1" shorter than the old ones. hardly noticable, but you can see it when it's side by side with the old cork grip model.

7. Reel_Newbie

Name:
    Cesar
    Boat:
    Dauntless 18
    I understand that the blanks are still TC4, but I was under the impression that the actions have changed. I've owned the earlier model Teramars, so if these are alike in action, that answers my question.

8. JFK

JFK Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    14' Livingston skiff
    I think they may have changed the actions on the models not designed for swimbaits. The old one I have is an 8' WC MH. The new one I have is an 7'11" WC MH and they are the same. should have clarified that....the crankbait models, etc are probably not the same action as a swimbait stick, I would think.

9. Reel_Newbie

Name:
    Cesar
    Boat:
    Dauntless 18
    Thanks James!

10. pcantonius

pcantonius Patrick

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    yours
    Which one is the crankbait model? I have 7"11" mh .5-1 ounce lure rating and its pretty sweet.

11. Genensd

Genensd Newbie

Name:
    Gene
    Boat:
    21 parker
    Not the same blanks at all actually they are very close to the terez action minus the colors. They no longer have a fast action at all they are slow action and bend well down the blanks. They are lighter then the previous models as the reduction of materials.
    The guides are aluminum oxide instead of alchonites. guys use to use the 7'6" heavy for throwing freshwater swimbaits cant do that any longer with these rods the line ratings are much higher because they are more parabolic closer to a jigging style rod then our traditional west coast style bait and jig rods.

12. Reel_Newbie

Name:
    Cesar
    Boat:
    Dauntless 18
    Bottom of the grip will be etched with it's "technique specific" badge.

13. Killer Instinct

Killer Instinct BigTuna - Cesar

Name:
    Cesar Chavez
    Boat:
    KILLER INSTINCT
    I got the new 9' MH and it's awesome already put some 5/6/7 lbers on it already. The action is great! Loads up awesome, paired with the 300EJ its a super light outfit. I liked it so much I went out and purchased another one. so now I have 2 on 300EJ's I fish one with 50lb powerpro and the other with 65lb powerpro I can cast anything from 3/4oz to 2oz farther than my phenix rods, I think because of the MH action opposed to the H or XH action from my phenix rods. They are definetly my new favs.

Cesar

14. LordIsGod

LordIsGod John 3:16

Name:
    Randy P.
    Boat:
    yak
    I have the spinnerbait model. 8' 1-2 oz. awesome!! faster taper than swimbaitmodel.
    fast tip and lots of backbone. i think i like this one over the swimbait models cuz its closer to
    the phenix actions that im used to. on my revo premier this is ultra lightweight outfit.
    use it for reebs spinerbaits and up to 5" bighamners/mc with 1oz max jig head.
    a must try no kidding!

15. McCallPenn6

McCallPenn6 Newbie

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    PM Halfday
    Hey killer instinct how do you like the 9 foot teramar for fishing the larger swimbaits like the sledgehammers or mc viejos baits?

16. WAR

WAR @WARBAITS

Name:
    AA
    Boat:
    KEY WEST BR196 / HOBIE PA14
    I've fished the Prototype Teramar line up and a few factory rods. Nice stuff.
    7'11"H was my fav. 9' was a bit over kill for my style of fishing.

Abu Volatile rods I like a lot. Decker made a great line up. Stiff, meat sticks. 80H, 80MH and 79M are nice. Calico rods, big fish rods.

Phenix Swimbait Classic
    I mainly fish this stuff. 711 and 79. Found a sale here:
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Phenix_Ultra_Swimbait_Classic_Casting_Rods/descpage-PMSC.html

Afran

17. McCallPenn6

McCallPenn6 Newbie

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    PM Halfday
    I'm definitely going to have to take a look at those volatile rods. They look like sweet sticks.
    Thanks for the info Afran.

18. AWC360

AWC360 Newbie

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    SUP
    They are the same blanks as the previous models, only difference is the EVA Handle + split grip (-1 inch in butt length). There are more actions available now, 2 7'4" models, 7 7'11" models, and t a 9' version. Among the 7'11" rods are a Crankbait(TMCC711MH) rod and a Spinnerbait (TMCSB711MH). The 9' can be overkill for private boaters, but an awesome rod if you're fishing cattle boats and need to get baits out farther than your neighbors. For an all-around kelp rod, I would pick up a 7'11' Heavy. Remember, Shimano has life-time warranties on all their rods.

19. simmo13

simmo13 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Simmo
    Boat:
    2007 17' Baja bayrunner
    Like my teramars, LOVE the volatiles. Just got my second 8'MH volatile. Decker did great on these.

20. Baja Belk

Baja Belk Long, grandiloquent fish stories. Sorry.

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande "Only Big Ones"

I don't think this is accurate. I spoke with a couple reps at the Shimano booth and they confirmed the blanks and guides are the same, just a different reel seat and grip. The available actions are Extra Fast, Fast, Moderate Fast

I picked up a 7'11" MH Fast to pair with my Lexa 300 (gonna be a sweet setup). Unfortunately as I was about to put the reel on (plastic still on the rod) I noticed that something is inside the blank and is rolling back and forth like a marble. My $170 rod sounds like a rain stick. I called Shimano and they said that would be replaceable under warranty, but the problem is that whatever is inside will get stuck in the taper toward the tip and will stop rolling. I am worried that I am gonna drive all the way up to Irvine and won't be able to reproduce the problem for the warranty team. The guy on the phone said "hey it's a lifetime warranty, so use it and if it breaks bring it in".

Patience is not my thing so I am gonna use it until I happen to be passing through Orange County. Gonna be real annoying when I'm casting though....