Anyone ever used a zwing on one of the LR boats?

afraser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I was buying something else and came across the zwing, again, and thought it might be useful for trolling lures at depth for bluefin. Don't need a downrigger arm or anything, just drop it over the side (with some padding), and send lures or trollable baits down. We've used shower curtain rings attached to release clips or rubber bands so you send lures down and up without having to lift the zwing up. Has anyone used one for trolling for tuna? Seems we are usually just riding around when searching for bluefin with no trolling rigs out. Maybe this would help?

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
DTX 20 Minnow runs deep. Easier to fish, too.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I use them from time to time on my boat (when I see abundant deep fish that aren't coming up for anything and they aren't on the move). But I have trolling valves and don't mind SLOW (ie, <2 knots) trolling. Theoretically, they can be set to match the speed, but I am skeptical that they could be made to work at anything close to 8 knots, let alone 10. They bite in and pull really hard, and the faster you go the harder they pull.

afraser

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
They clearly work for wahoo on the east coast so I could see that working, but I’d like to try it on the bft that don’t want to come up. What color was attracting the makos? I’ll try the other color.