anyone ever fish pyramid lake, nevada

Discussion in 'USA Other' started by Steel Leader, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Steel Leader

Steel Leader Liquid Therapy

Name:
    marcus
    Boat:
    27' seastar flybridge diesel
    I'm going to reno to see my mom for christmas and I'm thinking about going to pyramid lake. The cutthroats they catch there look awesome! what do you get them with? what gear should I bring? I figure my abu ambassadur 6500 with a decent graphite stick hould do the trick. I'm bringing a little inflatable with a 5hp so I will be mobile. I was going to go to stampede res. but I recently learned the water level is super low and fishing sucks. so if you got cutthroat storys, let's hear em!

2. steveyee

steveyee Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    it fits in the garage
    go to fishsniffer.com and go to the message board and click on trout. lotsa info

3. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    My family owned a fifteen hundred acre cattle ranch on the Carson River for eighteen years. I used to fish pyramid quite a bit. In my opinion I would never go out on that body of water in a small raft. A number of people die on that lake every year doing exactly what you are thinking about doing.
    Pyramid is absolutely famous for its winds that come up fast and unexpectedly. Even if you think you are safe close to shore, you aren't. I know people who have died there...............
    Having said that, shore fishermen usually outfish guys in boats. All you need is a pair of warm neoprene waders. I did real well there with a light seven foot spinning rod with 6-8 lb line. put on a small 1/8 oz sliding sinker and a barrel swivel. On the other end of the barrel swivel tie two different lengths of leader; one about 16 inches, and the other one about 24-30 inches. Go to the Reno Fly Shop and get an assortment of wooly buggers that they specifically use out there. I did real well with a pink on the short dropper, and black and purple on the long one.
    Many spots you will fish are sandy bottom. I would get a map and fish around " the Nets" area. These fish want to hit these bugs moving real slow on the bottom. You want to emulate the strip strip motion of the fly fishermen. To do that you cast out, get the slack out of your line and point your rod low to the water right at where the line enters the water. Then ( this is the key part) crank your reel about one turn and pause. Then turn it one and a half turns and pause ( never more than one and a half). Because the bottom is so clean there the only thing that should cause any sense of resistance is a fish. If that happens; any feeling of resistance set the hook hard! We used to catch a lot of nice fish this way. Concentrate on watching the fly fishermen strip their line in on their retrieve and match that. The other thing is that those fish are famous for following your wooly buggers right to your rod tip before the hit. Many times they hit just as you are lifting your line out of the water. Have fun. You will also need a pair of real warm fingerless gloves. Dress warm or you'll be sorry!

4. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    In the course of a day you will also find that by fishing the way I have mentioned, you will cover at least twice the water than the fly fishermen and won't be worn out. One little flick of the wrist and your cast is done. The fly guys get their asses kicked with all their false casting their heavy shooting heads into the teeth of thirty mile an hour winds.

5. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Bill's got it covered. Check current regs as "The Nets" is now closed off for fishing. Peak time for the Cuts from shore is March to May. The fly guys fish from ladders they place out in the water so they can get their casts as close as possible to the drop off. Often, best bite is grey light and dusk, but there are plenty of day where guys will whack 40 to 50 and they're biting all day.

6. Josh D

Josh D Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18' Century
    4 of us had an 60+ fish day using mostly 1/2 oz. hair jigs fished vertically, bouncing them hard off the bottom seemed to get the fish fired up into a frenzy. Got some on large stick baits as well.
    If I remember correctly you have to get a permit from the indians since it's on a reservation?
    Wild Place!

7. Steel Leader

Name:
    marcus
    Boat:
    Great info guys! I'll leave the boat at home and get waders instead, less stuff to pack along, which is OK by me.

8. Rebound

Rebound Newbie

Name:
    Gary Johnson
    Boat:
    2901 seaswirl Striper " Anger Management"
    I was there three different years for two and three days of fishing.First of all COLD.Dress for sub zero cold.It was 10 below zero for two days.I'll tell ya man, I couldn't wait to leave.The other trips, as I recall there was days this one year that it had to be in the mid 50's.Hell ,I dont even like 32 degrees.Ice builds up on your eyelets .Also we had a guide on his boat for a day.Trolling all the time.Super nice people at the store.We used flys, whooly buggers and spinning with spoons.My friend caught and released one that was in the 25 to 30 lb. class.Beutiful fish.I caught alot of fish that where 18" to 24".Popcorn Beach area was where we fished alot.Good Luck.

9. Rebound

Rebound Newbie

Name:
    Gary Johnson
    Boat:
    2901 seaswirl Striper " Anger Management"
    Oh Ya!!! Leave the raft at home.Dont do it.Listen to Bill.

10. Steel Leader

Name:
    marcus
    Boat:
    I'm glad I posted this, I was going to just go and post pics when I get back:rofl:
    You guys may have saved my life!!

I'm looking on the cabellas website for waders, I was told I should get the boot foot so I have more room in the feet than stocking foot. is 5mm neoprene ok? My neprene wetsuit for surfing get's me wet, do the neo waders keep you dry?

The most useful post here will be copied and pasted to a info packet and taken with me on the trip, thanks in advance!

11. steveyee

steveyee Newbie

Name:
    steve
    Boat:
    it fits in the garage
    also, go to crosbylodge.com for more info and weather report

12. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Any other application or use and I'd say go with breathable dry waders. You could still get away with breathable dry and layering up underneath them with polar fleece. You could never go wrong with Simms G3 waders, but they'll set you back $400. It's a get what you pay for and they are essentially a lifetime wader. A guiding buddy who fishes 150 days a year just had an 8 year old pair of G3s rebuilt by Simms, for free. My buddy also recommends another brand that goes for about 1/2 the Simms but are on the same level of quality and U.S. made like the Simms. I can check with him if you're interested.

Now with that commercial over, you'd do fine in a pair of 3.5mm neoprene waders and they're the cheapest solution at around $50. Obviously, 5mm would be better. Unlike wetsuits, the waders will be dry. However, you will sweat in the neoprene, so it's not like you're truly dry. This sweat factor is why the overwhelming majority of flyfisherman who fish trout in streams, do so in breathable dry waders. Also, unlike a surfing wetsuit or dive suit, you shouldn't pee in them to warm yourself up.:rofl:

Boot foot vs stocking foot, it's all a preference and depends on what you're using them for. If you ever plan to float tube in them, then you need the stocking foot. If you ever plan to take up fly fishing, the stocking foot gives you more options with wading boots and soles to address varying stream bottoms. If you duck hunt, I understand the preference there is for boot foot due to the mud seeping down into wading boots.

Being this is your first outing and an abbreviated one at that, I'd start off with a pair of 3.5mm stocking foot waders and some wading boots. Get yourself a decent pair of wading boots. I like the Korkers which I got for my wife as they have interchangeable soles for varying stream bottoms. I also like my Columbias which are comfortable, easy to get into and will last forever. Plan on spending around $100 to $125 for a good pair of boots that will last you forever.

You are now on the precipice of a slippery slope towards a new form of fishing that will do a good job at emptying your wallet. Enjoy as new is always fun.

13. Josh D

Josh D Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    18' Century
    Great Info Steve!
    Another cheap option to Wading Boots (should you decide on stocking foot waders) is Dive Boots. They are very versatile & comfortable, not the ultimate grip but 90% of the time just fine. I've had the same pair over 5 years.

14. Steel Leader

Name:
    marcus
    Boat:
    So the boots touch the ground or they go inside the wader? I'm confused from lack of colorful pictures:imdumb:

Honestly the amount I will be doing this kind of thing, I don't see me using waders that much unless you use them a lot for duck hunting, I'm paying for my dog to do all the dirty work so I was under the impression I wouldn't have to, am I wrong? 50 bucks sounds just right but I guess I would spend 100 bucks if I was convinced it was worth it. so boots, waders, and thermals, do any of you guys have recommendations on thermal underwear, or atleast a place in reno/sparks that I can get all this stuff. I remember a place called GART but that's it, thanks for the help guys!

15. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    The boots "touch the ground" or they go on the outside of the stocking foot waders.

If you duck hunk, then I understand the preference is for boot foot where the boot is incorporated into the wader.

Where to get? In Reno check out Sierra Trading Post. If they have them (usually do) they'll be cheap. Otherwise, Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno would be a good choice.

Forget thermals. Get polar fleece pants. Very cheap at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  16. Steel Leader

Name:
    marcus
    Boat:
    Good stuff, thanks steve! also bill,josh,everyone, good stuff, i'm just going to print this thread and take it on the trip with me.

17. bufo1313

bufo1313 Newbie

Name:
    Doc
    Boat:
    16 ft Smokercraft
    The fish are in close enough to shore right now so you can do reasonably well if you put the time in. Neoprenes or regualr bootfoot waders will be fine. It may be cold, but we have not been having very cold weather so far, meaning that the water is not frigid like late january. Morning temps have finally dropped down into the 20s but afternoons are in the mid 40s to low 50s. Most of the shore anglers are doing best where the deeper water is near shore, not at the flyfisher's favorite spots at the nets. The nets area is open until spawning time this spring. Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno will have a selection of reasonably priced waders and anything else you might want to try out there. They have a good selection of cheap spoons in the 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz size that the fish hit well, so you are not limited to flies. Be sure to read the regs. There are size limits if you want to keep any and the hooks must be barbless. No bait is allowed. The lake is on a reservation so no Nevada license but the tribe requires a fishing permit that can be purchased each day or as an annual permit. If you want to wait to buy flies and spoons until you are out at the lake, there are two places to buy the terminal tackle and get fishing updates. The first is a store on the left soon after you enter the reservation, called the Pyramid Lake store. The other is in the little town of Sutcliffe and is called Crosby's. They have the website someone referred you to. Both places will also sell you the daily permit.
    Welcome to northern Nevada and good luck at Pyramid.

18. Steel Leader

Name:
    marcus
    Boat:
    Ok, wealth of knowledge guys!

next question, Camping.

Where do I go to park the camper and is close enough to walk to the fishing grounds at 5:30 in the morning (thinking of it makes my nuts shiver), or is there such a place?

19. BiggestT

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    You need a permit to camp or park, but you can literally camp right on the beach if your vehicle can make it.

20. bufo1313

bufo1313 Newbie

Name:
    Doc
    Boat:
    16 ft Smokercraft
    You can camp anywhere around the lake that you can get your camper to on the west side. No more camping on the east side. You will need a camping permit, also. Lots of people camp on the beach at Sutcliffe, Pelican point, Seperator, Warrior Point, etc., so plenty of spots.