Anyone ever fish 🎣 White Sea Bass ?

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
Long Beach, Ca.
Name
Don Burnett
Boat Name
N/A
I used to fish out of Long Beach back in the days on a lot of boats.
I was lucky and fished on several of the six pack boats like the Dreamer, Tonnage, Old #7, etc.
My question ? Has anyone ever used those Gitzem jig heads ?
I used to fish 1/4-3/8-1/2 ounce heads most of the time because we fished up close to the Island with little current … I’d double hook pin a squid on the jig then pin another squid on the hook point … you could cast two squid 🦑🦑farther … you don’t want to be fishing WSB on the bottom , but up off the bottom …
Any tips on how you like to fish for WSB and do you like/use those Gitzem jig heads ?
This outta wake up a few WSB couch spuds … the seasons a coming … I love fishing White Seabass …

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahkhuang
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat Name
One that floats
I used to fish out of Long Beach back in the days on a lot of boats.
I was lucky and fished on several of the six pack boats like the Dreamer, Tonnage, Old #7, etc.
My question ? Has anyone ever used those Gitzem jig heads ?
I used to fish 1/4-3/8-1/2 ounce heads most of the time because we fished up close to the Island with little current … I’d double hook pin a squid on the jig then pin another squid on the hook point … you could cast two squid 🦑🦑farther … you don’t want to be fishing WSB on the bottom , but up off the bottom …
Any tips on how you like to fish for WSB and do you like/use those Gitzem jig heads ?
the last couple of trips I did , we setup on A Squid nest , so we used A Dropper loop
and had the Hook 4 Foot up from the weight .

Upvote 0

Encinoman

Jan 4, 2013
Encino/California/us
Name
Adam cox
Boat Name
None
The gitzem heads are great. We almost always have a leadhead or bucktail either fished in hand or left in the rod holder like the dropper loops.

For shallow water seabass, any 8-9 foot 30 lb stick with braid to a medium length 30-50lb fluoro leader is great. A 1/2 oz leadhead usually fits the bill here, though we have had times where a 1/8 oz slider was simply a better option based on conditions.

Deeper on the bait grounds for both seabass and yellows, I’ve really started to like the bucktail over the standard leadhead. Same gitzem heads with enough bucktail to add a bit of bulk. If there’s no current, a 1 oz leadhead fished in hand with works great. If the current is ripping, I like to fish one or two 1.5-2oz bucktails off the stern in the rod holders. I think they get bit a bit better when actively fished, but when conditions line up right, having one in the rod holder 10-20 feet off the bottom is a great way to cover different depths.

Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    For Islands fish the lead head and double squid is deadly. For local fish I pin a mackerel on a glow iron and fish it in the kelp. Wait for a good current to push it down and dead stick it just above the stringers. Otherwise a big (12”+) mackerel on a dropper loop just off the bottom does well.

Upvote 0

lowprofile

• Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    That fish is on my bucket list. Hear they are hard to catch....
    They’re not really hard they just aren’t talked about as much and usually when you hear of a bite going on you’re a week or two late to the party.
    There’s been some big ones spotted in the local kelps and the island fish are chewing. If more people fished during winter more fish would be caught

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    I hear you. Made this catch on March 12th many years ago on the backside east of Catalina. 3 fish limits for three guys. Limit goes to one fish March 15th so we went looking before that happened and found a biting school of good ones in 25 feet of water...

Never know unless you go...

114_1469C.jpg

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    I have had great success fishing squid nests with these Ahi Assault diamond jigs. Would be my first choice to put in the water. I upgrade the trebles and put an assist hook up top but very effective for killing biscuits...

IMG_4486.jpg

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat Name
    N/A
    That fish is on my bucket list. Hear they are hard to catch....
    I’ve caught well over 50++ WSB over the years …
    Listen to what these guys above are telling you …
    As far as table fare … nothing better … I prefer WSB to wahoo …
    Actually WSB is not a bass per-say, but a croaker …
    In my opinion they have an IQ of maybe 10…
    The bigger models make a good run then you’ve got this big log to reel in.
    I’ve never caught a WSB over 40#’s … most being in that 20-30# range.
    Years back my friend begged me to go on a 3/4 day boat up to Whites Point … you know a perch fishing day … he hooks this 62 pounder on 20# and after an hour+- he boats it … then gets beat out on the balance scale for the jackpot by another WSB … now that’s a 🎣 story…

Upvote 0

Encinoman

Jan 4, 2013
    Encino/California/us
    Name
    Adam cox
    Boat Name
    None
    One thing to keep in mind is that most “seabass special” leadheads with the 5/0-8/0 mustad ultra points, can and will straighten out when fishing heavy gear. Not so much of an issue when fishing in the mud, but when you need to pull hard around structure, a glow slider and a 5/0-8/0 aki twist is a much safer bet.

There’s quite a bit of historical information available using the search bar, especially from @Rubberhook2

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat Name
    N/A
    I have had great success fishing squid nests with these Ahi Assault diamond jigs. Would be my first choice to put in the water. I upgrade the trebles and put an assist hook up top but very effective for killing biscuits...

View attachment 1456381
    Thanks for the tip … when fishing on the six pack boats I’d always drop a big white jig down with a pinned squid 🦑 a few feet off of the bottom.

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat Name
    N/A
    I hear you. Made this catch on March 12th many years ago on the backside east of Catalina. 3 fish limits for three guys. Limit goes to one fish March 15th so we went looking before that happened and found a biting school of good ones in 25 feet of water...

Never know unless you go...

View attachment 1456380
    I know the felling well … when their hot you kill them …

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat Name
    N/A
    One thing to keep in mind is that most “seabass special” leadheads with the 5/0-8/0 mustad ultra points, can and will straighten out when fishing heavy gear. Not so much of an issue when fishing in the mud, but when you need to pull hard around structure, a glow slider and a 5/0-8/0 aki twist is a much safer bet.

There’s quite a bit of historical information available using the search bar, especially from @Rubberhook2
    I use the AKI twist hooks I’ve got them from 1/0’s - 8/0’s …
    I used to use those SSW ‘s but they aren’t as tough as the AKI’s
    Nothing better for pinning on a squid 🦑

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    I used to fish leadheads a lot and they can be quite productive. Never had a problem when fished on straight mono because it stretches but as soon as I started using them on kelp cutter rigs (straight spectra to a 3 foot section of 50lb flouro) I started to experience failures with the springy hooks straightening out. I lost a really good seabass on the one below when it buried itself in the kelp. There is no stretch in a kelp cutter rig so the pressure down at the hook increases tremendously.

Someone needs to make a leadhead with an 8/0 Aki twist as shown on the bottom. Those hooks do not straighten out...

IMG_1697.JPG

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    Some good info in this thread from March of last year...

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat Name
    N/A
    I used to fish leadheads a lot and they can be quite productive. Never had a problem when fished on straight mono because it stretches but as soon as I started using them on kelp cutter rigs (straight spectra to a 3 foot section of 50lb flouro) I started to experience failures with the springy hooks straightening out. I lost a really good seabass on the one below when it buried itself in the kelp. There is no stretch in a kelp cutter rig so the pressure down at the hook increases tremendously.

Someone needs to make a leadhead with an 8/0 Aki twist as shown on the bottom. Those hooks do not straighten out...

View attachment 1456401
    I still have several of those glow banana heads … they work fine…
    I wonder what hooks they use on those Gitzem leadheads ?

Upvote 0

LR Houdini

Jun 26, 2020
    Long Beach, Ca.
    Name
    Don Burnett
    Boat Name
    N/A
    the last couple of trips I did , we setup on A Squid nest , so we used A Dropper loop
    and had the Hook 4 Foot up from the weight .
    This year I’ve e got a couple of potential WSB trips 👍👎🤞
    I’ll just have to wait and see if the bites on or not …
    But if I had some hindsight back when I was fishing all of those 4 and 6 pack charters I should of invested in a GPS … 80% of all the WSB I’ve put in the boat came off the back side of Catalina with 10% off the East and West ends … I only had one great trip on the front side east of Avalon on the old Top Gun …

Upvote 0

Bend Session

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    follow these steps.

1. pin a squid on a led head (orange or red)
    2. cast the fresh dead squid
    3. reel in line so squid is off the bottom a couple feet
    4. put rod in holder, check drag, set clicker on.
    5. grab a beer,relax, and wait for bendo!

Shazam!

1520213292545.jpeg

Upvote 0

Rubberhook2

Local Bluefin
    Jan 19, 2007
    San Clemente
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    None
    I have caught them at Catalina, San Clemente Island, Santa Barbara Island and San Nicolas Island. All can have squid and hold seabass at certain times of the year in certain areas.

While the islands do kick out good fish from time to time it is the coast IMO that holds the really big ones...

First pic is my buddy Miles with a good one from Pedestal Rock, backside of Catalina.

The rest are fish caught along the coast using balloons primarily...

IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_2849.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat Name
    24'custom
    I’ve been trying to land an SD kelp WSB for so long. I’ve landed a handful of juveniles. Seems like we’ve got a good population based on juvenile catches, But nothing close to a keeper. And I’ve invited WSB anglers out for free trips for tips style fishing and nobody took the offer. To this day I’d love to catch a
    San Diego - WSB….. maybe one day some day. Until then I’ll keep trying.

Upvote 0

Bend Session

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    I have caught them at Catalina, San Clemente Island, Santa Barbara Island and San Nicolas Island. All can have squid and hold seabass at certain times of the year in certain areas.

While the islands do kick out good fish from time to time it is the coast IMO that holds the really big ones...

First pic is my buddy Miles with a good one from Pedestal Rock, backside of Catalina.

The rest are fish caught along the coast using balloons primarily...

View attachment 1456477View attachment 1456478View attachment 1456479View attachment 1456480
    What is the balloon for? is that just a marker to alert you once you have a bite?

Upvote 0

lowprofile

• Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    What is the balloon for? is that just a marker to alert you once you have a bite?
    To set multiple lines.

Reel it up 10ft off the bottom, attach balloon and let it out 150ft behind the boat. Then put another bait down, reel it up 20ft, attach balloon and let it out 75ft then drop another bait down and reel it up 15ft and fish that one off the tip.

Upvote 0

Bend Session

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat Name
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    To set multiple lines.

Reel it up 10ft off the bottom, attach balloon and let it out 150ft behind the boat. Then put another bait down, reel it up 20ft, attach balloon and let it out 75ft then drop another bait down and reel it up 15ft and fish that one off the tip.
    Thanks.... guess you just wait for the balloon to sink or bob up and down to know when your bite and time to reel in?

Great tip, thanks again.

Upvote 0