Anyone else interested in a run to/beyond the 126 line?

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
90 miles from the dock. 180 round trip, plus hunting time fuel. I carry 250 gallons, so less 10% unusable is 225 gallons. If I keep it under 30 knots, I can stay near 1.2 mpg, burning ~160 gallons plus running and gunning. We’d add 20-30 gallons in a drum or two, just to be safe.

We’ve been doing some science-type reading and think that there isn’t enough oxygen in the water inside the 126° line. Kind of a dead zone for the large albacore schools from 124° 30 - 126°, like we are accustomed too. So, if we get a nice forecast, 6 of may make the run in Feral. Would be nice to have a buddy boat too. Anyone else dumb, errrr, interested in the attempt?

Upvote 0

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I have done the 126 line once out of Westport. Best water ever but no fish were harmed or seen. The 126 looked a lot like the 125 line.
Have you heard any commercial reports from out there?

Reactions: NWGuy and Genie Aye
Upvote 0

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
  • Feb 27, 2012
    The Salt
    Name
    Rod
    Boat
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I did that a couple years back, ran out to the 126 down to the 46 back up the 125 and home, beautiful water, 4 fish

just me and my first mate so no pressure:)

enjoy the ride:)

Upvote 0

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
    Aug 10, 2008
    Lacey WA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
    You gonna be running out in the dark? Not a lot of daylight hours anymore for a 90 mile run @ 25mph. You're burning almost 8 of the 12 hours of daylight just to get out and back.. Maybe look for a overnighter weather window?

Not sure about the o2 levels... but there is certainly a shortage of blue water inside the 126*30

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
    Nov 2, 2017
    Covington, wa
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    I could be talked into it. We did an overnight to the 126 last year and ended with around 60 fish plus hooked a thresher and mystery fish that spooled us. Seemed to do ok on fuel. I carry 260g.

Interesting dead zone theory. I heard grays harbor has o2 issues and the water offshore is really mixed up. You can see it on satellite but also significant temp fluctuations as you head west.

I told myself last weekend was my last trip of the year but this sounds interesting.

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    You gonna be running out in the dark? Not a lot of daylight hours anymore for a 90 mile run @ 25mph. You're burning almost 8 of the 12 hours of daylight just to get out and back.. Maybe look for a overnighter weather window?

Not sure about the o2 levels... but there is certainly a shortage of blue water inside the 126*30

if the weather is such that we can only do 25, we won’t be going. Need to run at least 30 mph to get out and back with enough time to fish. If only there was a tool to help see in the dark... like a Raymarine FLIR :). Just waiting on the POE adapter to connect it up 👍

water temp and clarity are irrelevant if there’s not enough O2 for albacore to make energy to maintain their internal temps 20-30° about water temps...

There are still fish well inside the 126. Walker picked up several to the NW yesterday.

not interested in an overnight. If we can’t get it done in 4 hours of fishing, I don’t want to spend another 20 out there.

And more importantly, I can’t put this girl up for the season knowing that I’ve personally caught more salmon on her than all the tuna killed on her. :(

1BE9B3F6-1E7E-4471-907C-F25143FDB4B6.jpeg

754DC3BF-2821-45AB-AD1D-A6ABECE4860E.jpeg

D66F26AE-DCA8-4E9B-A135-7700CBE095DB.jpeg

Upvote 0

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
    Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
    Not sure about the O2 theory but I'm sure you're more knowledgeable than I about it. My last time out had Pacific Saury all over the place so you'd think there'd be a fair amount O2 to support them. Plus the colder waters in the world support more volumes of fish, in other words cold water holds more O2 than warm. But...maybe we have a dead zone. Sure has been a plume of non-blue water out there this year.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    The bait, salmon, etc are ECTOthermic. Like reptiles, they are the temp of their environment. They don’t need to create heat. Tuna are ENDOthermic. They require lots of energy to make body heat. That means they need lots of food (which is there) AND they need lots of O2 to make that energy. It’s not just about them able to breathe.

Research crews sampling particular areas and depths related to the hypoxic zone found lots of black slime like stuff. Basically, dead matter. Not enough O2 to support particular lifeforms. They projected areas lacking sufficient O2 a while ago and the breaks are correlating quite well with the albacore harvest to the south and the north right now.

would be best to have color and temp breaks line up, but we know we’ve caught plenty in cold and green water, when’s there’s O2.

The 129 line is out of the question 😂. But, we don’t need the numbers those kids target. 40-50 fish would certainly cover our expenses. Or, we suck and are out $1k for a day of fishing... SatFish shows enticing images.

FAD349CF-3034-436B-9691-F0BD0954638D.png

09450AD4-3922-4C63-8FB5-D291800CD2F6.png

Last edited:

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Sashimi… or we starve 😂

Reactions: Charles_Sterlin
    Upvote 0

RazorJack

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2013
    Hansville, WA
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    19' Arima SR
    The overnight boats have spent plenty of time in that water. Was a period they were doing well but there's a reason most of them have been fishing the same inside water as the rest of us the last couple of weeks.

Would be a fun adventure nonetheless. If you go I hope ya slay em.

Reactions: GregE
    Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Laurence's oceanography comments are spot on. The clear blue water has the higher oxygen levels, so tuna like to travel in it. But as you all know, the nearshore upwelled water + plankton bloom has more life in it....more feed. However, that green water has lower oxygen level. That's why the "sweet spot" for day fishers is often that edge, where the green water transitions to blue.

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    Here’s an explanation of the hypoxia issue, a la Seattle Times…

Low oxygen levels along Pacific Northwest coast a 'silent' climate change crisis:

Reactions: hawksfan75
    Upvote 0

Latest posts