NukeDawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
Headed out to coronados tomorrow. Deciding if its worth bring bait, but would like to slow troll if i can't find bird schools.

Anyone had recent luck on YT with bait at coronados? Any place to make macs in Sd bay?

Last edited:

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
We had 5 our last trip out which was last sunday , we were fishing in 102 to 124 feet of water drifting for halibut, this is a common occurrence fishing this time of year , we've caught over 30 yellows this year drifting for flatties , it nevet hurts to take bait , I never leave without it

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
We had 5 our last trip out which was last sunday , we were fishing in 102 to 124 feet of water drifting for halibut, this is a common occurrence fishing this time of year , we've caught over 30 yellows this year drifting for flatties , it nevet hurts to take bait , I never leave without it
Were you using mackerel? Did you catch them near Sd bay?

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Due west outside the kelp, and the forbidden zones, look for jumping-puddling bait, the meter will be thick. It takes time...

Reactions: NukeDawg

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
meaning you are catching them there now?
No, not right now but the bait barges almost always produce macs. We take a couple cans of catfood, freeze overnight, then drop them into a container with holes drilled in (tie some rope to it) and hang it off a cleat. The motion of the ocean will bounce the catfood into a sweet chum line. Some say to cut up the first mac snd use that for chum.

We sabiki them up by the 2s and 3s and before you know it we have a 24 pack in the bait well.

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
I tried catching mackerel at the San Diego harbor bait barge at about 5 am for nothing.

waynesworld

Apr 24, 2006
Escondido
Name
Wayne
Boat
Sold it -need a ride
Try tipping your sabiki's with squid ,mackerel or gulp worms
Chum ,Chum Chum

Postal719

Jul 7, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
23' Polar Walkaround
You are aware they sell live sardines by the scoop at the bait barge right? One of the only fisheries in the world that have such a luxury. I'd recommend trying that. Seems to work pretty well.

Reactions: SaltH20Angler

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
ask Chad ..He knows how and where....

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
31' Innovator
We spent 2 hours on Monday trying to make macs around the bait barge and ended up with a couple dozen. VERY hard to make right now. Tried the buoys and breakwater as well for not mucho.

Reactions: Larmo and NukeDawg