Anyone building their own boat?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by 78sharpshooter, Aug 13, 2008.

1. 78sharpshooter

78sharpshooter Newbie

Name:
    AC
    Boat:
    1988 Sea Ox 230 W/A bluewater
    I was bored the other night and found some boatbuilding websites and immediately knew that one day I will build my own boat, likely a 19' center console with the stitch and glue method and a closed transom/outboard bracket. If anyone is currently making a boat I would love to come check out the process to learn as much as possible prior to my first build.

2. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    I built a Glen L stitch and glue, small center console boat about 10 years ago and it was cake. We took our knowledge and built another one a couple of years later. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. There is a video that is available through Glen-L showing you the process. I probably watched it 20 times before I actually started the boat. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them.
    You can save a lot of money by buying the plans and buying your supplies (marine grade resin and glass) locally. I got mine at Diversified Materials Corp in La Mesa. Saved a ton of money!

3. 78sharpshooter

78sharpshooter Newbie

Name:
    AC
    Boat:
    1988 Sea Ox 230 W/A bluewater
  4. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    That looks like a great boat to build! You will be amazed how fast the stitch and glue boats come together. What takes the time is the finishing. You will have a lot of fun.

My friend Bob Aronson, the owner of AA marine in Vista of Highway 78 also built a stitch and glue boat very similar to that design, before he bought AA Marine. He could answer your questions also. His boat came out beautiful and he helped me a lot before I got started. Stop by sometime when he is there and he will answer any questions you might have. Tell him Dwayne sent you. Good luck and have fun!

5. kerncat

kerncat Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Opos
    Boat:
    Gone to a new keeper
    I saw the end result of Dwayne's "stitch and glue" boat and it was terrific..What a great way to enjoy all the hobby or sport..I also watched him land a bigeye on the old Titanic (I think a 16 foot aluminum) way off shore and knew right then he wasn't ready for sharp objects...Just kidding Dwayne..that little home built was great.

"Opos"

6. Assalt Weapon

Assalt Weapon Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2240SX
    The 19ft that you linked has a 8ft beam...Might want to make it 8ft 6",,,if possible,,,

If you do decide to do this,,,keep us posted.

7. fishnazzi

fishnazzi Mostly just LURKING anymore...........

Name:
    Troy
    Boat:
    Which one.............
    Glen l marine has a boat building forom on it check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    Thanks Bob!! The "Little Woody" was quite a step up in ride quality compared to the Bayrunner. I still have yet to catch a bigeye in it but I sure have put the "wood" to the billfish in it!

We were just talking about that epic time frame with the bigeye back in the '80's. That one in the bayrunner was the first I finally boated after being spooled a couple of times before. I think when that era was over I had boated 21 bigeye here locally with about 15 going over 100 lbs, the largest being the 143 lber I caught with Matt Green and Dave Mayer one Saturday in September, 1986 just south of South Island! Maybe they will be back again! See Ya, Admiral!

9. swizler

swizler Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    27 custom
    I built a glen L boat out of aluminum about 15 years ago and they supplied full size templates.

10. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    If you havn't already done so check out this site

Bateau2 - Builder Forums :: Index

There are some great plans and some very knowledgable and helpful people there.