Anybody want to build a aluminum offshore kick ass fishing boat?

wideboard

Sep 2, 2008
SF bay area
Name
John
Boat Name
25 Farallon
Hey all, I own a fabrication and powder coating shop in Northern California East Bay area. I’ve always wanted to build a bitchin’ aluminum enclosed cabin boat. I’m sure you’ve seen some different kits that are out there most of them come out of Canada and have great lines etc. etc. Something similar to what Ravenark puts out. They have a 25 foot model is a pretty common design that’s easily available. I’m in the middle of rebuilding my Farallon 25 which is a great boat don’t get me wrong but I always dream about building a nice aluminum one.

let me know what your thoughts might be. If we could turn it into something and make a few dollars that would be great too! Obviously there’s a lot of hoops to jump through to do that but you never know who you meet on this website!

John s.

0EB4CCE4-A803-4FF6-93E0-24D3757BC71A.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

beardog629

Mar 1, 2010
vista
Name
Kelly
Boat Name
Blackman 23
hey John, my dream would be to build an aluminum catamaran 26 to 30 feet with twin inboard diesels, 240 Yanmars with direct drives, or surface drives would be my choice, forward slant house like you show there,

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Florida
Name
Good
Boat Name
2021 Allied WildCat 30
The welding is only part of it. Most aluminum boats don’t fail because of bad welding. It’s the other stuff.

But, it sure is a blast working with folks who know what they’re doing and getting to do all sorts of purpose built shit!

Upvote 0

wideboard

Sep 2, 2008
SF bay area
Name
John
Boat Name
25 Farallon
I’ve been around the marine industory my whole life. I’ve met a lot of people on the way that knows the other components that go into boats whether it’s inboards/outboards or race boats etc. I was more trying to find somebody that wanted to partner up and build two boats at the same time that would also be able to facilitate rigging the boat with their knowledge or people they know. I think it’s a good opportunity for like-minded individual‘s. Especially if somebody’s got some connections with being able to a manufacturer for resale….Even in a shitty economy! Imagine a couple of these bad boys cruising out to Cortez.

F4D103BC-1126-4FAE-A309-2746562870E4.png

Reactions: repo805 and 7emptsT
Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat Name
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Lottsa builders lottsa choices.

Big hurdles to overcome. Biggest is a young talented Welder that can drop dimes in any position, upside down overhead. Equipment, experience, ability, focus and drive.

It ain't easy. Mistakes will be made. The first one if not five will have defects in the construction. Money and time Will not be your friend. Many have tried and your competition have already invented the Wheel.

One and done for me. Jim Clack has the ability but lacks the resources and focus to get it done. Wish you well on your search for the Holy Grail.

Upvote 0

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Kzaam
    Boat Name
    Jasmine
    Not sure if your design shows this but I had one day on the water in a 26’ or 28’ northwest style tin boat with a narrow and rectangular baitwell right up against the transom/stern wall. Every time the boat rocked back and forth the baitwell would slosh back and forth pretty bad and if you were anywhere near the stern corners at all you’d get totally soaked. That got really old the 3rd, 4th, 5th time it happened, especially later on in the evening when it was starting to become cool. This was a very popular, and one of the leading boat manufacturers for the NW, too. Good luck with your project ideas!!!

Upvote 0

wideboard

Sep 2, 2008
    SF bay area
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    25 Farallon
    Nice! That’s what I’m talking about just got to figure out how to get all the monies together I have the facility. I’m tired of fabricating nice stuff for other people! I want my own my stuff! And not for $150,000

Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
    Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat Name
    Trophy 2509
    Loving your concept, desires, and dreams!!

Reminds me of this 24’ aluminum pilothouse bare hull I saw available for sale by a smaller local company named Atec Marine, had interest in potentially purchasing it just a couple years back for my next boat project.

Loved the slanted front windows, enclosed bow, tall bow rails, full width outboard bracket essentially an extension of the hull, self-bailing deck, and also just liked the lines of the boat in general.
    (Was basically like a mini version of a 6-pack style aluminum charter boat - typical of what you see here around the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska, and similar in appearance to an Alumaweld / North River / Boulton / Hewescraft / Etc.)

However, after doing the math and calculating what it would cost me to finish out the boat to my liking, in addition to the cost of the bare hull itself….I just couldn’t ever get it all to pencil out into any sort of affordable range that made sense for me and what I was looking to use it for (private non-charter halibut fishing in the summer months around the Cook Inlet, AK area).

It was available for sale for quite a long time, which gave me hope that the price would eventually drop…..but I’m guessing it eventually sold as it disappeared from the internet.

Will certainly be following along with this thread to see how things develop for you and your unique concept…..

-Jeramy

E279D3CD-59A8-4869-9408-E1A052461D3C.jpeg

B90E290D-0B34-4F2F-8962-375A165EEB4D.jpeg

Upvote 0

Sobie2

Jan 7, 2008
    Juneau
    Name
    Nate
    Boat Name
    22 Aluminum Landingcraft
    Hey KneppNasty,

The short version of the ATEC story on that boat was it was ordered by ADF&G and it had some issues that were not to spec on the contract. I recall one issue was that the outboard transom bracket was too short and the cowling got smashed up when tilted. There were a few other issues. So that particular ATEC had some issues and ADF&G refused upon delivery. However, ATEC boats are really good simple boats that are fairly custom.

Sobie2

Reactions: KneppNasty
    Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat Name
    Trophy 2509
    Hey KneppNasty,

The short version of the ATEC story on that boat was it was ordered by ADF&G and it had some issues that were not to spec on the contract. I recall one issue was that the outboard transom bracket was too short and the cowling got smashed up when tilted. There were a few other issues. So that particular ATEC had some issues and ADF&G refused upon delivery. However, ATEC boats are really good simple boats that are fairly custom.

Sobie2

Woooowwwww, so cool to actually find out what the deal was with that particular vessel!

I had always figured that there was no way that ATEC went ahead and built a boat to that point of completion without having some sort of buyer or purchase order in place to begin with….and that something had to have gone sideways with the deal/build at one point for it to be sitting there on ATEC’s front lawn for a couple years.
    That explanation totally makes sense!

I have seen the totally custom looking blue and white ATEC made charter boat launching next to me at Deep Creek many times and it looks like a very nice, very well made, very capable vessel. Honestly nothing like that boat intended for ADF&G. (Maybe that’s what intrigued me about it to begin with?! Seemed like the perfect mixture of features typically seen on aluminum boats in the 30’+ range, but still a 24’ boat easy to trailer and good on fuel burn without a ton of horsepower required.)

Would love to hear any more info/details/flaws you might be able to recall about that ATEC boat originally intended for ADF&G!

Thanks much,
    Jeramy

Upvote 0

Sobie2

Jan 7, 2008
    Juneau
    Name
    Nate
    Boat Name
    22 Aluminum Landingcraft
    I was working at ADF&G at the time, and the procurement department was in the same building. I knew the folks who ordered the boat. I think after that fiasco they went and had a Bayweld built. Unfortunately I don't recall what other issues they had but there was a list. It again was all about the nuances of not meeting the specs of the contract which were clearly spelled out in the original request for bids. So ATEC replied to the RFP and was awarded a contract so a boat was ordered and maybe 50% of the money was paid and then when the boat showed up and folks weren't happy the procurement office refused to "accept" the boat.

That does not mean the boat is garbage, it just didn't meet the requirements outlined by the ADF&G contract.. It may very well be a great boat for running the Yukon or something and you can adjust the tilt limit on an outboard... oh yea maybe the tilt thing was so bad that the motor didn't even tilt far enough so the skeg/prop was still below the bottom of the hull for beaching purposes.

Sobie2

Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Sep 10, 2017
    Seal Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeramy
    Boat Name
    Trophy 2509
    I was working at ADF&G at the time, and the procurement department was in the same building. I knew the folks who ordered the boat. I think after that fiasco they went and had a Bayweld built. Unfortunately I don't recall what other issues they had but there was a list. It again was all about the nuances of not meeting the specs of the contract which were clearly spelled out in the original request for bids. So ATEC replied to the RFP and was awarded a contract so a boat was ordered and maybe 50% of the money was paid and then when the boat showed up and folks weren't happy the procurement office refused to "accept" the boat.

That does not mean the boat is garbage, it just didn't meet the requirements outlined by the ADF&G contract.. It may very well be a great boat for running the Yukon or something and you can adjust the tilt limit on an outboard... oh yea maybe the tilt thing was so bad that the motor didn't even tilt far enough so the skeg/prop was still below the bottom of the hull for beaching purposes.

Sobie2

Pretty darn rad to find out all of this inside/background info about that particular hull and what all went down back then….thanks for taking the time to include even more details, simply for my own curiosity and interest!

Pretty crazy to think that a boat builder would bid on a contract with specific requirements (knowing it is for a government agency, mind you), and then just go and build something different that didn’t meet those specs and automatically assume that it would be accepted!

Can’t really blame ADF&G for going with a Bayweld after that experience. Bayweld seems to be THEE top notch operation for building custom aluminum fishing & work vessels around the peninsula area. (My buddy just purchased a Bayweld Cat second hand for his charter business and that thing is freakin SWEET.)

I, myself, seem to find value in certain vessels that may require some repairs or upgrades or tweaking or alteration of some sort that would scare off most buyers, but ultimately brings the total cost down into the “absolutely killer deal” range if you happen to possess the skills and resources to undertake such a project yourself. (Hence my initial interest in that unfinished ATEC boat that was available for sale for quite some time.)

Reading your description of the issue regarding the swimstep/bracket depth and the outboards not being able to tilt up far enough for the props & skegs to clear the bottom of the hull, and I immediately think - “oh man, add a couple jack-plates and that should take care of that problem AOK!”
    (Obviously that would be unacceptable if you had ordered a brand new boat to be custom built to certain specs and it failed to do so….I would be pissed!)

Always wondered where that ATEC boat ended up heading off to once it sold, how much $$ it ended up selling for, and how it all ended up turning out once the buyer got it finished up!

Upvote 0

chamackO

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2003
    SoCal and NorCal
    Name
    Alex
    Boat Name
    none
    Hey all, I own a fabrication and powder coating shop in Northern California East Bay area. I’ve always wanted to build a bitchin’ aluminum enclosed cabin boat. I’m sure you’ve seen some different kits that are out there most of them come out of Canada and have great lines etc. etc. Something similar to what Ravenark puts out. They have a 25 foot model is a pretty common design that’s easily available. I’m in the middle of rebuilding my Farallon 25 which is a great boat don’t get me wrong but I always dream about building a nice aluminum one.

let me know what your thoughts might be. If we could turn it into something and make a few dollars that would be great too! Obviously there’s a lot of hoops to jump through to do that but you never know who you meet on this website!

John s.

View attachment 1408107

Check your PM

Upvote 0