Anybody throwing iron with the JX?

Mar 6, 2008
Oceanside, Ca.
Name
Ben
Boat
Any overnighter cattleboat!
Usually throw surface iron with a star drag - next trip out I'm going to try my JX on a 800h Calstar for throwing Salas surface jigs. Anybody using the JX for surface iron - how does it work out?

Upvote 0

HTA

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 18, 2005
Anaheim
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
I throw iron with the JX, HX and HXJ. Never had a problem tossing the surface iron with any of the reels.

Upvote 0

Derfsondeck

DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 28, 2006
Ventura
Name
Fred
Boat
Poopshoot
I say stick to the star drag.Tried my JX for surface iron didnt like it.Great yo-yo reel though.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
I use my JX with BT690J with a 100 yd mono topshot to throw surface irons. That low gear really came in handy when when I nailed a 38lb Yellowtail at Cedros a couple of years ago.

No Cal Lou

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
Not the best choice for surface iron but will work......
I try to stick to star drag reels for that application
Trinidad,tourium,saltist etc......

Upvote 0

prater

Almost A Member
Oct 16, 2007
lake havasu city, AZ
Name
michael
Boat
luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
Been practicing with my JX 6:1 with 65 pound magic braid and 30# top shot here in Lake Havasu, while waiting for surface action to really get going off SD. Getting a good 50 yards on casts using Salas DX, and I suck at casting. After an hour of practice backlashes much less of a problem than I thought they'd be. Previously thinking about getting Penn Fathom 25-which I still might do- but don't see legitimate reason giving those distances.

Upvote 0

Epp

Feb 19, 2011
Santee, CA
Name
Eric
Boat
none
all the time i love my jx and jx raptor for iron i use a 10 ft rod it throws a mile

i got 65lbs spectra with a short top shot of 40 around 40-50 yds of mono. works good for me

Upvote 0

OIF VET

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2010
North OC
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
The jx can work good for tossing iron as long as you are using a longer jig stick. Just keep in mind that when you are throwing your jig not to muscle anything. Avets can get away from you and backlash to hell if you don't pay attention. So keep your thumb ready to go and you should be fine.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2008
Oceanside, Ca.
Name
Ben
Boat
Any overnighter cattleboat!
I'm hopefully going to give it a try this week - figure to leave about 100 yd topshot of 40 lb. Appears enough guys are doing it that says it works. I'll have my trusty Newells though in case the backlash monster strikes!

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
I'm hopefully going to give it a try this week - figure to leave about 100 yd topshot of 40 lb. Appears enough guys are doing it that says it works. I'll have my trusty Newells though in case the backlash monster strikes!

If you read my link, I use a short 10-20 foot leader & with the right knot, you wont have any issues with the knot flying through the guides...

Upvote 0

Yank n Crank

Captain
Oct 30, 2007
Yorba Linda
Name
Scott
Boat
27', Seaway, Yank n Crank
Takes a little time to get used to it. But a Jx casts light jigs very well for me on a T100. But I'm a really old fucker that can't deal with knots flying through my guides every cast. So for me it's 150 yards of mono over spectra backing. It works for me, no issues.

Upvote 0

gspot

Crazy for Cabo
Jun 21, 2007
Orange County
Name
George
Boat
24' Starcraft Bluewater 240 CC, 17' Boston Whaler

If you don't have the MC version, mag your reel. There's a tutorial on this site that shows how to mag your reel. I have pictures and a "how to" somewhere. If I can find them, I'll send to you. The magnets really work well and you don't have to worry about backlash.

Upvote 0

SoCalRedNeck

MOJO fish catcher
Feb 18, 2008
Puyallup
Name
Daren
Boat
Skunk pussy
Im throwin a calstar 100j 20-50 10 footer and a jx 4.6.1 probably 6,741 feet!!!! But like brian said avet has a tendency to get a little wild if you try to muscle your casts you wont be using the rod the rest of the day so let rod do the work.

Upvote 0

bluefinbob

Jun 30, 2010
Garden Grove,CA
I use my jx for throwing the iron. I have 2 off them. Both 2 speed one is a mag cast. I love the non mag cast the free spool is fantastic. If you are a good iron thrower the non mag cast is better a lot more distance than the mc. I also throw bigger surface irond on my lx.

Upvote 0