Anybody running the Cummins QSC 8.3, 550 hp diesel or know anyone who is?

Fish Slapper

I would love to be your Captain for a day!
Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
www.markyoungbloodsportfishing.com
Name
Mark
Boat
30 Ft "Pacific Addiction". 26.5 ft Alumaweld Columbia "Turbos Palace"
I am in the stages of new boat planning and would prefer to go with a fast diesel for longevity and fuel consumption if at all possible but I cannot give up allot of speed. I like what I see for specs on this engine but having trouble finding anyone with direct experience in a 34 ft boat. I am hoping to go with a single for cost and weight but the boat I am looking at has never been built with this engine so I cannot get actual numbers .

Upvote 0

samohr

Swabbie
Dec 3, 2006
Wa
Name
Name
Boat
Boat
Boatdiesel is where you want to look for specific info on this motor. I have no direct experience with that engine, but 550 hp from an 8 liter is a little high strung, keep the hp/ displacememt ratio under 60 if you want a long lived diesel. I would think 480 would be plenty for that size hull assuming reasonable weight and speed requirements.

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Boatdiesel is where you want to look for specific info on this motor. I have no direct experience with that engine, but 550 hp from an 8 liter is a little high strung, keep the hp/ displacememt ratio under 60 if you want a long lived diesel. I would think 480 would be plenty for that size hull assuming reasonable weight and speed requirements.

Good advice from Stacy. That 550 hp is probably the max. So you shouldn't run it that high continuously. Only temporary (i.e. bad bar crossing).

Ditto on Boatdiesel. It's the best $25 you'll ever spend, if you are new to diesels.

You need to provide a little more information, than "34 ft boat." 450 - 500 hp will do very different things in a flat bottom Chesapeake, vs a downeast, vs what you have now, etc. Boatdiesel has a prop calculator in which you enter the boat length, the hull form, and the hp. It gives you prop size & speed based on the different factors. That will start to get you in the ballpark regarding your question of speed vs hull & hp.

You might want to talk to a builder of something similar....like Fibercraft. They build a 36 ft charter; I think they also have the 37 ft Delta mold. https://www.facebook.com/Fibercraft-Boats-1113753318669650/

I guess this is the Fibercraft website: http://coastalpassagemaker.com/36-flybridge

Some pics of Fibercraft charters in Ak: http://alaskasbestlodge.com/photo-gallery-sportsmans-cove-lodge/boats/

That Fibercraft 36 is pushed easier than the Delta 37. That's kinda why I suggest talking to Fibercraft.

Here's a Delta 37: http://alaskaboatbrokers.com/listings_detail.php?id=188

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/bod/5593803778.html

This boat used to be in Newport; I fished on it once. Maybe you should just buy this one.

Good luck, Mark (the other)

Last edited:
Reactions: POPEYE-SCOTT
Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
I have a Cummins QSB 5.9L 480hp. Tier 2 compliant. Common rail tech makes it surprisingly quiet. WOT 3,400 rpm. 47 mph..

Extremely happy with motor and efficiency. I have 70 hours on package now. Hamilton HJ274 jet drive package in 26 aluminum RIB.

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

Fish Slapper

Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
Thanks for the info guys, I saw those Deltas I am building a boat I can still trailer with a 11.6 beam, PNW style hull with a pretty steep entry, full walk around...kind of like a mini Delta...want to cruise at 25- 27kts is my goal...definitely do not want to run the engine hard all the time for sure.

Reactions: dragonballs
Upvote 0

Fish Slapper

Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
Mark, I'm not the guy for 'how is this specific diesel', but if you need some help doing the legwork on engineering, design, prop calculations, etc, let me know. We can identify the actual horsepower needs of the boat and find a motor that has the right duty cycle to meet the power needs.

E

what specific information would you need for this?

Upvote 0

Spokaloo

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 30, 2008
Spokane, Wa
www.stagboatworks.com
Name
Eric
Boat
I build my own
Two things are the most important. The actual hull, so I can get an idea of what coefficient to use for the equations, and an exact weight study. That's the hard part.

You need to identify every little thing in the boat, from fuel tankage to fishing tackle so we can identify her true, all up weight. From there we make a range of loaded and unloaded, and work that through the equations to see what horsepower we need for what speed, what cruise you want to target, and the amount of hp required.

Easy peasy.

E

Upvote 0

Fish Slapper

Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
Two things are the most important. The actual hull, so I can get an idea of what coefficient to use for the equations, and an exact weight study. That's the hard part.

You need to identify every little thing in the boat, from fuel tankage to fishing tackle so we can identify her true, all up weight. From there we make a range of loaded and unloaded, and work that through the equations to see what horsepower we need for what speed, what cruise you want to target, and the amount of hp required.

Easy peasy.

E

I will see what I can get...only 2 of these boats exist right now and they are both in Alaska as charters.....not sure builder has these exact details but I will ask. For the hull do you need the name or style? not sure exactly what you mean by "actual hull"..I think its based on a Fiberform but not 100 % sure

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    I know you stated your reason for wanting a single, but you might really consider 2 smaller engines. I had a single screw and the manuverability is not great, especially in reverse.

As for speed, efficiency, and HP, my current boat has twin Yanmar 260 HP (520 hp), I have 20" 4 blade props, the boat weights around 15k, 30 feet with 11'3" beam. Top speed is right at 40 kts, I cruise 2900 rpm' about 25-27 knots. I am told you can run them at 3400 rpm's which would pick up quite a bit of speed. I have not calculated actual fuel economy, but my average tuna trip takes about 70 gallons. That's around 40 miles offshore, trolling and return.

I am sure Eric will help you, but it seems like 550 hp would give you what you want.

Reactions: POPEYE-SCOTT
    Upvote 0

Spokaloo

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 30, 2008
    Spokane, Wa
    www.stagboatworks.com
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    I build my own
    I need to know the LOA, beam, waterline length, waterline beam, and have a look at the running surface to get the coefficient correct, as it makes a big difference mathematically (multiplier of between 170 and 240). If the name of the manufacturer can get me to the information, rad, that works. Otherwise we have to estimate from the details and photos.

E

Upvote 0

Walker Inc.

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jun 24, 2013
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Name
    Patrick Walker
    Boat
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Pretty sure Little Hoquiam has a 30' uniflite mold as well.
    If it is little hoquiam, then there are 3 in existence as Howard has one personally, the other 2 live at eagle charters in Elfin cove, and Highliner lodge in pelican. Nice boats, ran one at Highliner for half a season with twin 250 suzukis. Bow steer in a following sea is a legitimate concern!

Upvote 0

blackelk

Wishing I was Tuna fishing
    Sep 11, 2010
    Montesano, Wa
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
    If it is little hoquiam, then there are 3 in existence as Howard has one personally, the other 2 live at eagle charters in Elfin cove, and Highliner lodge in pelican. Nice boats, ran one at Highliner for half a season with twin 250 suzukis. Bow steer in a following sea is a legitimate concern!

A co worker bought a mold in the early 80's to build a boat and he put a single cat engine in it. I ran into him last year and asked him if he still had the mold and he told me he gave it to Howard Moe so he might have it laying around but not building them. If you see his boat around it looks like a Uniflite but no emblems. last i saw his boat it was sitting in Hoquiam down towards the little hoquiam boat shop but maybe 3 blocks short and couple blocks toward the river.

20160629_153622.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Fish Slapper

Jul 30, 2008
    Tacoma,Wa
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Damn guys you are like a bunch of "school girls" ...if you must know its actually an old Bayliner mold that has been modified by a boat builder north of Mt Vernon to make a bad ass offshore 6 pack tuna killing machine for me.... it is supposed to be a 30 kt cruise boat at 2.5 mpg with top speed of 45 kts, steep entry and wide beam will allow for running 30 kts in almost any kind of 10 ft combined seas with a southerly wind and carrying a payload of 8 persons in air ride seats each equipped with a 10 " lcd tv and personal 6 pack cooler..while carrying 125 tuna in a refer system and a 250 gallon bait tank...plus living quarters for the chef.

Upvote 0

DaKanati

Captain
    Mar 17, 2009
    belfair,washington
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    272 Sailfish "ManCave"
    Damn guys you are like a bunch of "school girls" ...if you must know its actually an old Bayliner mold that has been modified by a boat builder north of Mt Vernon to make a bad ass offshore 6 pack tuna killing machine for me.... it is supposed to be a 30 kt cruise boat at 2.5 mpg with top speed of 45 kts, steep entry and wide beam will allow for running 30 kts in almost any kind of 10 ft combined seas with a southerly wind and carrying a payload of 8 persons in air ride seats each equipped with a 10 " lcd tv and personal 6 pack cooler..while carrying 125 tuna in a refer system and a 250 gallon bait tank...plus living quarters for the chef.

Oh, isn't that the new Bamf platform? Or was it xtero or xerox or something?

Upvote 0

silver slayer

I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this
    May 12, 2009
    kitsap county
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    25' starcraft expedition
    Dam mark u sure u want to try a new boat builder again. Hope it will atleast hold together at the seams. Good luck with the new ride can't wait to see it

Reactions: Elkfins
    Upvote 0