Anybody running Gibbs breakaway flashers?

hawksfan75

More questions than answers
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
Picked up a handful of extra breakaway kits from the sportsman show thinking they would fit my Qcoves but the pins are different.
Anybody want them? Trade for Qcove sets?

or tips for how to retrofit them?

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
For retro or just to use them, Trevor Jackson , Obsession...he does retrofit on all types of flashers.

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
I don't like the feeling when a regular flasher breaks free of the water at the surface and it makes the fish feel gone. Breakaways are sweet. Got a stash of QCoves.
Yup! I keep my QCOVES under lock and key! Anyone that loses one has to scrub the hull with his tongue while we're trolling. You know.....MOTIVATION.

Reactions: Genie Aye

hawksfan75

More questions than answers
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
FWIW, the gibbs rigs and the QCove ones are nearly identical. Except for the pin that plugs into the flasher. The Gibbs one is smaller than the QCove. Going to run some electrical tape around it and call it good, lol.

liltrouble

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 9, 2012
ShillCreek, WA USA
Name
Shari
Boat
Mr. Buttercup
I turned a bunch of flashers into breakaways. It is quite easy. Take 24 inches of 80-100# mono, you need one large quick change plastic clevis, 2 double crimps, 2 single crimps, 1 large bead and 2 swivels.

Crimp your bottom swivel (i use corkscrew) at one end with a double sleeve.

Thread the plastic clevis with the open end away from your first crimp.

Crimp the single crimp 5-6 inches up from you first double sleeve crimp.

Crimp the next single sleeve 12 inches up from the first single crimp.

Run the bead over the line and then run the line through the top ring of the top swivel.

Crimp you barrel swivel (large enough swivel so it won't pull through the eye) to the end of the line.

Cut of the bottom swivel from the flasher. Very carefully trim the clevis so it will break away and can be slipped over the terminal end ring.

Attachments

Reactions: bigdood

Walker Inc.

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
I turned a bunch of flashers into breakaways. It is quite easy. Take 24 inches of 80-100# mono, you need one large quick change plastic clevis, 2 double crimps, 2 single crimps, 1 large bead and 2 swivels.

Crimp your bottom swivel (i use corkscrew) at one end with a double sleeve.

Thread the plastic clevis with the open end away from your first crimp.

Crimp the single crimp 5-6 inches up from you first double sleeve crimp.

Crimp the next single sleeve 12 inches up from the first single crimp.

Run the bead over the line and then run the line through the top ring of the top swivel.

Crimp you barrel swivel (large enough swivel so it won't pull through the eye) to the end of the line.

Cut of the bottom swivel from the flasher. Very carefully trim the clevis so it will break away and can be slipped over the terminal end ring.
Shari-
Where did you source the Clevis piece?

spoon man

Jul 20, 2012
Olympia, wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Alumaweld
So I have been doing the breakaway system that liltrouble is talking about for probably 10+ years now and they work as good or better than the Qcove did in my opinion. The only thing I would say is that the bottom crimp at the tail of the flasher is not needed. You can make any flasher into a breakaway by using this setup. The key is to leave the bottom welded ring on so the clevis has something to connect to. By opening up the clevis to the right width it will pop off when you get a strike. When you get a strike the pressure will pop the clevis then you’ll be fighting the fish. Corey G and Time Zoned have seen them in action and can vouch for how well they work. I’ve caught a shit load of salmon on this setup and have yet to have one fail or not pop off on the strike.
D3345BD7-9CDD-4742-8DC6-353CB0479781.jpeg
DE19D8AF-0D77-49AD-BE12-37EEF50017B9.jpeg
7A1F77E6-480B-44B7-8FCF-E10010B902B9.jpeg

TimeZoned

24’ Hewes Alaskan
Apr 27, 2013
Port Orchard
Name
Jeff
Boat
24’ Hewes Alaskan
So I have been doing the breakaway system that liltrouble is talking about for probably 10+ years now and they work as good or better than the Qcove did in my opinion. The only thing I would say is that the bottom crimp at the tail of the flasher is not needed. You can make any flasher into a breakaway by using this setup. The key is to leave the bottom welded ring on so the clevis has something to connect to. By opening up the clevis to the right width it will pop off when you get a strike. When you get a strike the pressure will pop the clevis then you’ll be fighting the fish. Corey G and Time Zoned have seen them in action and can vouch for how well they work. I’ve caught a shit load of salmon on this setup and have yet to have one fail or not pop off on the strike.
I can attest to how well this system works. I’ve been using these for a couple of years now since @spoon man showed I actually like it better than the qcove as you can put it on any flasher in your arsenal and it’s cheaper. Plus you don’t have to worry about your supply of them. Running low just make some more

Aug 21, 2017
Covington
Name
Bryan
Boat
21NR Seahawk
I used the Simon break always last year… one thing I cant stand is that if u get a short strike it may release the break away… you cant tell!!! …… so you have to bring everything back in to check….. Do these home made ones release as easy as the magnet ones???

3601.JPG
360.JPG

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Anyone ever try the one with the magnet release... I forgot where I saw it, but seemed like a good idea.....

Edit... didn't read far enough ahead... maybe the magnet ones need a better magnet, but clevis looks the way to go!

Last edited:

Cornfed

CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
@spoon man @liltrouble

Couple questions:
1. Looks like the gap on the clevis has a slight "interference fit" when it is clipped onto the welded ring? The welded ring has to be pushed through the gap in the clevis, correct? If the gap is too large, the mono will just pop out?

2. In order for it to be a full breakaway flasher and have the flasher float to the surface while you're fighting the fish, the top barrel swivel has to be small enough to fit through the ring on the barrel swivel that comes with the flasher. So these setups don't do that, correct? Or @spoon man do you remove the barrel swivel from the top of the flasher and run the leader through the welded ring on the top or add a larger ring to accomplish this?

NICE WORK making a breakaway setup!

spoon man

Jul 20, 2012
Olympia, wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Alumaweld
@Cornfed

Trimming the plastic clevis is one step that you need to make sure you get the correct gap in order for it to stay put under troll. If you trim it too much and the clevis is too easy to take off then it will not stay put. So yes it has a slight interference when you clip it on the welded ring. As to your second question I run the swivel through the welded ring on the front of the flasher, and if it’s a flasher that has a different style swivel up front then I add a bigger split ring so that the swivel on my breakaway rig can pass by while fighting the fish.

Reactions: Corey G

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
@Cornfed

Trimming the plastic clevis is one step that you need to make sure you get the correct gap in order for it to stay put under troll. If you trim it too much and the clevis is too easy to take off then it will not stay put. So yes it has a slight interference when you clip it on the welded ring. As to your second question I run the swivel through the welded ring on the front of the flasher, and if it’s a flasher that has a different style swivel up front then I add a bigger split ring so that the swivel on my breakaway rig can pass by while fighting the fish.
This looks really cool, but have the same question as above about short strikes.
Seemed like with some setups that it takes very little force to pull pin, or break magnet on short Strikes that don’t hook the fish. (Without cramming pin in so tight that it won’t release at all.)
Do you have a system for how to trim/setup the Clovis that reduces that window of coming loose on short strike while still functioning on real hookup or is that just the assumed risk of running the breakaway style flasher?
Thanks!

spoon man

Jul 20, 2012
Olympia, wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Alumaweld
This looks really cool, but have the same question as above about short strikes.
Seemed like with some setups that it takes very little force to pull pin, or break magnet on short Strikes that don’t hook the fish. (Without cramming pin in so tight that it won’t release at all.)
Do you have a system for how to trim/setup the Clovis that reduces that window of coming loose on short strike while still functioning on real hookup or is that just the assumed risk of running the breakaway style flasher?
Thanks!
I have yet to have a issue with short strikes, with the way I have it setup it actually has to be a take and turn by the salmon or a pretty good head shake for it to pop off. It doesn’t take a lot of pressure for it to release but it does take the right pressure to make it release. By that I mean when the fish runs the flasher has the opposite pressure as it did when trolling forward and that’s what make the clip release. Same concept as Qcove but it’s a different way of attaching the rig to the flasher. No more lubing your hole 🤣 so the peg doesn’t get stuck!!! I use finger nail clippers to trim the clevis and I pre fit (test) the trimmed clevis before I make the breakaway rig.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017
Covington
Name
Bryan
Boat
21NR Seahawk
Thanks!
At the end of the season I went back to the standard set-up. I was getting tired of checking it… On your standard set-up you might get a short strike…… then another 5-10 seconds later another fish comes along and nails it!!! fish on!!!! Or maybe your looking away and a fish short strikes it.... With the breakaway flasher after a short strike that releases the magnet the flasher is not working as it should.. and no fish is going to bite it….not sure how much pressure it takes to pull the magnets apart.

Reactions: FishPimpII

Jaymo72

May 22, 2015
Port Orchard
Name
Justin Morgan
Boat
Tiderunner
River Guide Supply Quick Change Spinner Clevis - Snap Black Nylon 25 Pack Amazon product

@Walker Inc. I got mine on amazon. Sportco usually has them as well but when I went they only had the smaller white ones and in my opinion they are too small.

Last edited: