hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Whichever I am invited onto
My wife and I have been pseudo looking for a new ride (sucks missing opportunities...) and we really have been drawn to the Wellcraft 290 Coastal as it seems to have the right combination of seating/fishing/creature comforts/moderately trailerable features we're looking for. So, I was wondering if anybody locally is running one? I saw a 270 Coastal in Westport a couple weeks ago, but didn't get a chance to check it out.

And, if anybody knows of one sitting in a barn somewhere, let me know as well ;)

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
They sell them in fife I see them at that big showroom alot of times.

They're a similar boat to a trophy or striper. Similar layout similar quality.

• Haha
Reactions: Genie Aye
Upvote 0

RatherBfishN

Gone Coastal
Jul 10, 2012
Bellingham, WA
Name
Phil
Boat
Wellcraft 252 Coastal
I have a smaller one, 252 Coastal, had it in Westport couple weeks ago
290 does look nice
Overall I think it's a solid make, biggest drawback with mine is built in storage is lacking, seems set up more for day cruise than packing full of gear like I do around here.
Feel free to ask away

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I had a 2800 Coastal about 20 years ago. My only complaint was that it had gas engines and only carried 400 gallons, as I recall. But even that was enough to get me most anywhere I wanted to go (and back). I bought that boat with the hope that my wife would spend more time on board since it had a flushing toilet, standup shower, and 110v for her curling iron. Turned out that there were still some amenities she wanted -- air conditioning and a real, full sized galley. So, I upgraded a couple more times, adding stabilizers to the list. She still doesn't like to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cohoho

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD

Far superior than a Bayliner or Trophy, they are good riding boats. Depends upon model but they ride like Benjamins Pursuit! Slice through the stuff with zero pounding the hell out of you.

The gas versus diesel argument is really a personal choice. In boats under 33ft diesels aren’t that much of a savings. Cost of repairs, part etc…. A couple gas 350’s will be way cheaper for the average guy that uses the boat and isn’t a mechanic. Get into bigger boats then hands down Diesel’s win time and time again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Helluva a boat Eric....you win the Lotto :cheers:? Maybe someday for me as well.....maybe...goodluck with the search...

Upvote 0

hawksfan75

Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat

When you say similar quality, what are you referring to, specifically? I’ve spent nearly zero time researching quality of build etc… so genuinely curious.

Wellcraft doesn’t make the Coastal series anymore, so the new ones may be a bit more “production” quality perhaps?

Upvote 0

DaKanati

Captain
Mar 17, 2009
belfair,washington
Name
Josh
Boat
272 Sailfish "ManCave"
My buddy had that exact boat. I think it was an 05 or 06 with twin yami 250's. It is a huge boat on the trailer and alot to tow. I towed his once and at traffic lights there were literally cars looking up at the boat going over Them! As far as the ride goes it is ok, but my buddy always bitched about it after riding on my grady. 10.5 ft beam make it really roomy in the cabin area but the back deck is kinda short for how big the boat is. Last part that kinda sucked was the canvas around the hard top leaked due to poor design. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice boat and I felt it was put together well but it's more of a luxury boat than a fishing boat I'm my opinion.

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Upvote 0

tinmaniac

Almost A Member
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Name
Bob
Boat
Sled
Friend of mine has a 05 Wellcraft Coastal,the freeboard is LOW!His wife broke a rib slipping with n the deck while clipping in the downriver release.My Arima has way more freeboard and is much safer in that regard.I wouldn't go in the Straight or the ocean to fish in that boat.

Upvote 0

cain8885

Almost A Member
Jan 4, 2005
Seattle
Name
Brian
Boat
wellcraft 290 coastal
Do you have specific questions? i have an 08 290.

biggest grievances i have had is that the bilge access is terrible. Systems access is just generally hard but probably unavoidable when you cram so much stuff in a small boat. For example removing the heat exchanger on the generator is really difficult, the ac unit(which i never use) is really crammed in an odd spot.

several people have had fish box lids get soft. I had mine recored at csr.

it is definitely biased towards creature comforts vs pure fishing. The side walk arounda are much smaller than the 29 stripers but this means the helm area is larger.

Upvote 0

PNW Drifter

Almost A Member
  • Feb 11, 2017
    West Seattle
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Grady White Seafarer 228 - “Shortbus”
    Nice boats, Friend has a 03' Coastal 27' he may sell. Very plush for the family. His is setup to fish 4 down riggers and has new triple axel Trailer. He's in Des Moines.

Who ever call it similar to a trophy in quality is mistaken in my opinion. They are very nicely appointed with quality details. Maybe more like a Pursuit or Grady. His has tons of freeboard. Twin Yamaha 225's.

Last edited:

hawksfan75

Sep 7, 2011
    Kent, WA USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Do you have specific questions? i have an 08 290.

biggest grievances i have had is that the bilge access is terrible. Systems access is just generally hard but probably unavoidable when you cram so much stuff in a small boat. For example removing the heat exchanger on the generator is really difficult, the ac unit(which i never use) is really crammed in an odd spot.

several people have had fish box lids get soft. I had mine recored at csr.

it is definitely biased towards creature comforts vs pure fishing. The side walk arounda are much smaller than the 29 stripers but this means the helm area is larger.
    My questions are around how it handles PNW conditions. Confused seas, strong following swell, on the drift etc…

I’m also curious about gunnel height (I think that’s the term for the night from the cockpit floor to top of the gunnel?)

Also curious about the live well. Is it functional as a bait tank for Westport’s dainty snowflake anchovies?

I also see a lot of them with 225s. Why not 300s? Are they that economical?

PNW Drifter
    PNW Drifter
    The 27' tops out at something like 45 mph with 225's so it's not lacking on power. Can't comment on the livewell, window is cool but not sure how handy it is.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

cain8885

Almost A Member
    Jan 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    wellcraft 290 coastal
    I've attached a couple of pics of the gunnel height on port and stern as well as a picture of the bait tank. Drifting the boat does really well, it is wide and doesn't have a steep deadrise (I think its 18 degrees). Its never gonna be something like a contender or a go fast center console into a head sea but it doesn't have much of an issue in everything we've been in. That said, we've never gone out in the open ocean, but I've run a variety of smaller boats (arima, 22 center console wellcraft, whalers, others) offshore of San Diego fishing the coronados and near banks and have no doubt this 29 is gonna work a lot better than any of those.

The boat is not light. We have it geared up for salmon, lots of tools, etc. We had it hauled at edmonds about two weeks ago and with probably a half tank of fuel the travellift said 10400#. The boat holds 220 gallons of fuel so full up were probably over 11000.

I personally wouldn't want less power than I have now with the twin 250s. Economy wise i can get about 1.2mpg (not nmpg) running about 4100 RPM. I've seen some people report much better economy over 1.5mpg but never really understood how they manage that. the boat does like to be trimmed down so im sure I can squeeze some out if I trim it up or maybe lift the motors, but I feel like id sacrifice ride.

Similarly i cant really speak to bait survival as the only live bait I used was Sardines down in san diego which are infinitely more hardy than anchovies.

IMG_4691.png

IMG_4690.png

IMG_4689.png

Reactions: hawksfan75
    Upvote 0

cain8885

Almost A Member
    Jan 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    wellcraft 290 coastal
    Probably even more freeboard if you measure from water level to top of gunnel/transom, since it has a self-bailing cockpit (or at least my 2800 did).
    Oh yeah, quite a bit more if you measure that way. It is definitely self bailing.

Was mainly in response to the previous comment about freeboard so low his wife broke a rib clipping in the down rigger. Not really sure how that would happen because the freeboard level? Can say, have never broken a rib on my boat clipping into the down rigger.

Reactions: MYNomad
    MYNomad
    MYNomad
    Yea, I didn't understand the broker rib either. But, I look at freeboard as a safety thing, with self-bailing cockpit being equally (perhaps more) important. Mine had a tuna door, so even if the cockpit was full, it would drain quickly.
    Upvote 0
    hawksfan75
    hawksfan75
    Yeah, that's why I clarified to gunnel height. Some ppl use "Freeboard" to mean interior height.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Oh yeah, quite a bit more if you measure that way. It is definitely self bailing.

Was mainly in response to the previous comment about freeboard so low his wife broke a rib clipping in the down rigger. Not really sure how that would happen because the freeboard level? Can say, have never broken a rib on my boat clipping into the down rigger.
    That has plenty of depth… I owned a couple of Grady’s and a Defiance and none of them had that good of freeboard inside… Some like it low, but I like a little more depth to lean on…

Reactions: FishPimpII
    Upvote 0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Seattle
    Name
    Kelly Wyman
    Boat
    Wellcraft 270 Coastal
    I own the 03 270 Coastal discussed in the prior post. For the size you wont find another boat out there that competes. Are they the smoothest ride in the heavy chop, no. Will she handle any conditions you throw her way either in the islands or Westport and get you back to port safely, absolutely. I have twin 225 4 stroke Yams and with a fully loaded boat...I mean fully loaded with gear, 188g of fuel 27g fresh water tank, 42g gallon Kodiak live well full she gets up on plain with ease. I might have gone a little over board and added custom SeaDeck, Diesel heater, 4 Scotty mounts, some glass hull reinforcements(wasn't needed), fusion stereo system, new lower units, dry exhaust, etc...but I'm a little OCD. Love the boat. She's fantastic for fishing, cruiser, and overnighters. Tons of head room..6' 4" in the cabing...the live well is gigantic. You'll definitely need a triple axle trailer and at least a 3/4 ton...she's heavy. She'll hit 49MPH with a lighter load. Good luck finding one in descent shape on the West Coast.

IMG_4565.jpg
    IMG_4555.jpg
    59296220077__2500C21B-E234-4EA6-9FEC-0FF498A059DD.JPG
    IMG_0639.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

cain8885

Almost A Member
    Jan 4, 2005
    Seattle
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    wellcraft 290 coastal
    I own the 03 270 Coastal discussed in the prior post. For the size you wont find another boat out there that competes. Are they the smoothest ride in the heavy chop, no. Will she handle any conditions you throw her way either in the islands or Westport and get you back to port safely, absolutely. I have twin 225 4 stroke Yams and with a fully loaded boat...I mean fully loaded with gear, 188g of fuel 27g fresh water tank, 42g gallon Kodiak live well full she gets up on plain with ease. I might have gone a little over board and added custom SeaDeck, Diesel heater, 4 Scotty mounts, some glass hull reinforcements(wasn't needed), fusion stereo system, new lower units, dry exhaust, etc...but I'm a little OCD. Love the boat. She's fantastic for fishing, cruiser, and overnighters. You'll definitely need a triple axle trailer and at least a 3/4 ton...she's heavy. She'll hit 49MPH with a lighter load. Good luck finding one in descent shape on the West Coast.

View attachment 1322291View attachment 1322292
    Diesel heater is a great add. I put one on my 290 under the passenger helm seat. We salmon fish in winter with the canvas up and heat blowing and its quite comfortable.

Reactions: PNW Drifter
    Upvote 0