Anybody out there fishing a 196-8' or a BR80 or a lami 228?

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Anybody out there fishing these light line 8' rods for tuna? I've got all 3 but never find myself taking them with me. My lemon lami 228 has more glass in it, then the others but I'm not to keen on the thought of fishing 15/20lb on an 8'... is there anyone out there that doesn't leave home without theirs?
Does anybody else fish a lemon lami 228??? Cheers

(I know I know... just fish them)👍🏼

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
I fish 20lb on nothing but an 8' rod?
Use to fish my 220 a lot, then the 800xl. 196 is a great 20lb rod.
I don't fish any glass rods anymore though. The 220 (8'-6") will come out when the chovies return though. That and my kid uses it when he goes.
I love my sabre 220 and sabre 222!! Gosh how I love those 2 rods! Even tho I fish them both heavy the 220 with 50lb braid with 25/30 top shot and that chocolate sabre 222 is all 30lb mono👌🏼

Last edited:
Reactions: Dbado1 and jonrx7
Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Just like fly-fishing, those long light rods and light lines are a lot of fun on a private boat. On a sportboat with a couple of dozen other, heavier lines in the water, I lost too many fish and stopped bringing them on those trips. Time and place, like everything in life.
Never thought about it like that as far as comparing it to fly fishing!
I fished a Calstar 196-8 with a Newell G220 or Trinidad 14 for albacore if they were being difficult. 15# smoke izorline. It is a fun combo.
i figured they were made for that chovie pitch. On that one run albi bite. Big bonito are a blast on them. But that's when I know they are around!

Last edited:
Reactions: jonrx7
Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
222? Never heard of that one. 196 15# and a # 8 hook for pinner chovies! BFT on the 9 or yt at white rock 😎 ya I’m old
Yea I've got a chocolate sabre labled 222 10-30lb 8.6' it was first built as a heavy spinner by sabre and is easily a 30lb rod all day long. My neighbor called Leon way way way back in the day and asked them to build him one conventional... well it took a year to get to him and by that time his first child was born and the rod sat in his garage ever since.... it was gifted to me this year and I've been head over heals with this rod ever since! It's just heavier chocolate 220. WAY more glass then the standard 220 has. And is Sweeeeeeet straight out the factory condition
IMG_5716.JPG

IMG_5717.JPG

IMG_5718.JPG

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
I've been half looking for a 196-8 chocolate Sabre. I have a 220-8 and a 270-8 that I'm rewrapping.
I love the old glass.
Your 220 & 270 are both chocolate?? Nice

Do you happen to know the exact era? Or time frame the chocolates were produced. I love me hat old glass as well gottt WAYYYYYY to much of to do people! Just picked up a beautiful chocolate factory 670XH 7' 30-80! Man o man I can't wait to fight a proper battle on it!

Reactions: Noah & Scoot
Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I use a 220 sabre grafast quite a bit for bass at the islands, I'll be taking it when I go tomorrow. I have a chocolate 220 also but I like the grafast better, a little lighter. I also have a grafast 196-8 but don't use it much. Great bass rods, I'd use something else for tuna though, be good for albacore if they weren't extinct here.

Reactions: SMYLEE
Upvote 0

fishboy93

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 25, 2012
West Coast
Name
Ryan
Boat
It floats
What's the largest tug of war you have waged and won on that? I'm guessing live bait? 15lb or 20lb I do love my BR's. I've got a tanked out surfmast 100 on it! I just haven't put it to the teat.

i fish it with 25lb. Have multiple 60-80lb bft on it over the past few years. Great small bait finesse rod. My Roddy BR80 is one of the darker glass runs with a soft tip and a little more back bone than most others I’ve see

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I have a custom wrapped Calstar 196 8' and a matching Calstar 220 8.5' that I picked up at a yard sale recently. I also have a Sabre 220 spinner wrapped by Yo's. I have 9' Seeker 196 but I'm pretty sure it has a butt extension. All of them seem very light and I have never fished any of them. Maybe if the albacore and anchovies ever come back I can fish them.

Reactions: spize909 and SMYLEE
Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
i fish it with 25lb. Have multiple 60-80lb bft on it over the past few years. Great small bait finesse rod. My Roddy BR80 is one of the darker glass runs with a soft tip and a little more back bone than most others I’ve see
Yes that hunter glass is great stuff but that particular one of mine is the thinner lighter one. My blonde BR80 is we're it's at! But really you push it to 25lb NICE. And with 60-80lb BF to show! is hesitate to even bring that rod out targeting tuna that size! Talk about a battle!.. Not to many people like that dark hunter glass. Well nobody on here anyways been trying to sell one for ALONG TIME.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
I have a custom wrapped Calstar 196 8' and a matching Calstar 220 8.5' that I picked up at a yard sale recently. I also have a Sabre 220 spinner wrapped by Yo's. I have 9' Seeker 196 but I'm pretty sure it has a butt extension. All of them seem very light and I have never fished any of them. Maybe if the albacore and anchovies ever come back I can fish them.
Nice matching set there! Great find. Gosh I love my honey sabre 220! That rod goes every time with a lexa 400👌🏼! I know you've seen and built a lot of those older sabres that 196 and squider combo used to be the jam! On all the boats!

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
  • Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    ...seeing this rod bent like that tells me it can't handle 25 lb. test.Probably why the fish won.

fish won because the (fresh) izorline first string 75-foot topshot broke in a weak spot away from knots or any abrasion I could feel

I was pretty precise setting the 7.5# drag with a peak/hold digital scale...

but you be the judge on the bendo - Seeing is Believing - that's a deckhand pulling on it in the pic (at the top of his pull just before he reeled down on the tuna), he was helping me out as the fish was kicking my old ass on that light rig running around the boat and maneuvering around 30 other anglers

I can attest THAT ROD GETS BIT when the others aren't ... most likely because I can cast it better (farther/lighter) than a similar Calstar/Avet conventional rig in my quiver...

Last edited:
    Reactions: spize909
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Well I just picked up my first old glass calstar 195!!! I can't wait to fish bones on this. What a bad ass little rod I just found. Price was to good to pass up. Here is a light line rod I'll fish any day! Sweet stick

Anyone else got one?????

Upvote 0

geebee

My Member is Well-Known
  • Nov 12, 2016
    San Diego
    Name
    Gee Bee
    Boat
    Partial to AZTEC - aspiring to INTREPID
    pic?

Upvote 0