Anybody Know What's Up With The Charterboat "Rampage"

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by WaveDancer, Jan 16, 2018.

1. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Anybody have any idea what's going on with Randy and his charter boat, the Rampage?

I ask because the boat is gone and there have been U-Haul trucks and trailers loading up stuff from the office in Westport over the last week or so.

The website still functions but I am assuming Randy is moving, selling out or retiring, but with the boat being MIA from it's slip in the WP Marina, it makes me think it's gone for at least the near future if not for good.

WD.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. DaKanati

DaKanati Captain

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    272 Sailfish "ManCave"
    I heard he sold

3. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    A casualty from last year?

4. veteransfishing

veteransfishing Get in the groove and RELAX!!!

Name:
    Danny Gabriel
    Boat:
    Slippery Finn/Lisa M
    Talk with him last week at West Marine. He is retiring and moving to Costa Rica, He sold his boat to a buyer in Cali

Genie Aye likes this.
  5. effigy

effigy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Which one? Too many....
    It's been (or was) for sale for a good 5 - 6 years.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  6. WaveDancer

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    I wonder who's going to end up in his old marina slip, it's in a pretty good location.

WD.

7. Salmonmoocher

Salmonmoocher "Holding My Own Rod"

Name:
    Billy Bob
    Boat:
    27' Grady White "Main Break Too", 17' Seaswirl CC "Salmonmoocher"
    I occasionally wonder down said Pier to visit with others. That Float 666 should be avoided at all costs. Keeping Afloat in a Dying Sportfishery is Impossible. Hope his life in Costa Rica is nice.

8. Walker Inc.

Walker Inc. I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Patrick Walker
    Boat:
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Randy isn’t going anywhere. Rumor I heard in the streets is that he possibly transitioning to running a commercial tuna boat for a dude we all know.......
    Randy while not known for the best customer service skills is an excellent fisherman who knows the tuna game well. I hope the commercial deal works out, he’s an asset out there for sure!

WaveDancer likes this.
  9. WaveDancer

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Randy and the Rampage was my first live bait Albacore experience on the water back in 2006 if I remember right and he certainly can be described as what I like to call "gruff".

He is for sure a killer tuna captain and I learned a ton from him and the crew on my trip and know many others that have had very good trips with him as well, just not Mr. Personality when things aren't going well or clients keep making the same mistakes over and over or refuse to chase fish around the boat.

If he moves on to just doing the commercial thing you have suggested I wish him nothing but the best.

WD.

10. gabe0308

gabe0308 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
    I have wondered if the “Gruff” thing is just part of being a captain taking clients out tuna fishing. I have gone out twice in the last two years with a well know 6 pack charter out of Westport. Both times it was with different captains and similar experience each time. Seems like the focus is just on filling the boat ASAP and getting back to the dock which I do understand a bit as the faster you fill the boat the sooner you are back to the dock and done for the day. But if I am paying $2400 for the day and cracker off the first 6 fish and then get all six live baits tangled up that is my deal. We have a group of guys that fish tuna once a year and by all means are newbs to that type of fishing. On the flip side I can see the captains views and it would be hard not to get frustrated.

bigdood likes this.
  11. Elkfins

Elkfins Ungrateful Prick

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Gruff huh... all this PC Correctness makes me laugh. Never fished with him but the stories I've heard from multiple people, both customers and deck hands lead me to believe he can be a complete asshole when things don't go his way. Having said that, they've also said the guy can find fish.

WaterOps likes this.
  12. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    Agreed. Gruff is just code word for dick. I went on a WP charter with a group from work a few times and the captain was always a dick. Treating everyone like they're idiots while at the same time appearing to hate his job.

There are many reasons I don't patronize the big charters but this is one of the biggest reasons. That and the horrendous way they treat the fish, namely the natives that have to go back.

13. Walker Inc.

Walker Inc. I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Patrick Walker
    Boat:
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Here’s a different angle. You and your buddies come out and fuck up. Cracker of the first 6 fish because you thumbed the spool like you were told not to. You then don’t pay attention to where your bait is, you drown it because you are not feeding it line, then a piece of fucking shit blue shark grabs it, swims thru all the other baits, knits a sweater and takes everybody out of the game. The school sounds. Your right, it’s your deal. The next 8 hours goes by with out another bite or a mark or a jumper. Then it’s the “captains” and “company’s” fault you didn’t catch anything and fucked up the only opportunity of the day. Im usually gruff and very un-sympathetic in that situation too, which is probably one of the many reasons I don’t charter anymore........

cohotr, TonyG, Chasin' Tail and 6 others like this.
  14. jasper hickman

jasper hickman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jasper
    Boat:
    26' sea master, RED BEARD
    I took a crew from work on the Rampage with Capt Randy for a 3 day trip.

We leave the dock around 7pm and steam west for 2 1/2 hours then suddenly he reverses course and heads back to Westport. The deck hands tie the boat off and Randy hops off and of course we’re kinda laughing cuz we know something has gone totally sideways, one guy pipes up “ hey capt. what did we forget”. Randy reply’s “none of your fucking business” and storms off.

Randy gets back a min later and we are off to steam through the night. To me it looked like he was carrying a sat phone but that is just a guess.

Next day we boated 278 tuna, one of the best days of my life. I bet Randy didn’t say 10 words to the customers all trip besides “I really can’t believe you guys drank all that beer”.

I would say he’s not for the snowflakes out there but for a crew of elevator mechanics he was perfect.

15. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Well of course you didn't mind. You guys are used to a lot of ups and downs in your week! :D

NWGuy, Benj2853, BugeaterInWa and 4 others like this.
  16. gabe0308

gabe0308 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    SAANAUK' (SEASPORT 24XL), Tlingit Princess (20' Wooldridge Sport Offshore)
    I agree with the most of what you say BUT I would never ever blame “captains” or “company’s” for not catching fish! It is fishing not catching! I have fished more than enough to know some days you are on the fish and some you are not and it can change day by day. If I went and didn’t catch a damn thing and I knew the deckhand and captain busted there ass I would have nothing bad to say. There is a bit of a learning curve to tuna fishing even if you have been salmon fishing your whole life. When the captain asks first thing his many people have been tuna fishing before and everyone says never...or half say never they have to have an idea what is in store for them. Both times I have gone we have plugged the boat and been in before 3 pm so people eventually figured it out... Don’t get me wrong as I fully understand where the captain is coming from but each year I have had people say they were not interested in going due to the attitudes of the captains. Maybe they are just soft. :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  17. kdubinwa

kdubinwa Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    25' North River OS
    I was "introduced" to tuna fishing by Randy on a 3 day charter for 10 with 8 guys I didn't know. Randy has his own program, he tells you what to do and he expects everyone to follow it. He get's in your face when you don't, but his intent is to maximize the opportunity for all guests. I caught 24 fish my first day because I listened carefully and frankly, he scared the living shit out of me. Other's didn't fare as well and bitched the whole trip.

I like him,

Walker Inc. likes this.
  18. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Ignore the captain 75% of the time LOL(except safety meeting)..... trust you deck hand then tip heavy........:cheers:

Cohoho, Fireball, oldschool 1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Hunter Dan

Hunter Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    MUGWUMP
    Randy is great. Not gruff enough by my book. Anyone ever fish with Art on the Sugarfoot? Crusty old salt might do him justice.....

20. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    With all due respect, this sounds like the man you describe.

Cohoho likes this.