anybody here a really good rifle reloader?

Fish Slapper

I would love to be your Captain for a day!
Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
www.markyoungbloodsportfishing.com
Name
Mark
Boat
30 Ft "Pacific Addiction". 26.5 ft Alumaweld Columbia "Turbos Palace"
I just bought a 300 RUM and need to get set up to reload and was hoping I could find soemone to show me the ropes. I have reloaded pistols stuff in the past so I know basic stuff like which end the bullet goes in but nothing about case trimming and other more technical stuff. would love to find someone who could come over (after I buy everything) and help me set it up and dial it in.

okie man

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
i don't know if you can reach factory velocities with a 300rum. they load a proprietary powder in that caliber.hope someone who knows alot more chimes in.

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
i don't know if you can reach factory velocities with a 300rum. they load a proprietary powder in that caliber.hope someone who knows alot more chimes in.
Without busting out a manual, I think you're right.
Of course you can still tailor a load or loads for your gun and needs.

Feb 6, 2010
Grenada
Name
Brian
Boat
Kayak
Velocity, schmelocity. You should have FPS to spare w/ that cartridge. Work up a load for accuracy. I recently found a site... longrangehunting - com. Check 'em out.

BTW, it's been a while, but if I recall trimming cases is only important after you've used them a few times and they start to stretch and create chambering probs. It was the last thing I ever worried about. I spent a lot of time cleaning cases, deburring the case rim, determining a good overall cartridge length/bullet seating depth, finding a hunting bullet that would fly straight, working up loads w/ 3-4 powders to see what shoots well, then glass bedded the action, floated the barrel... And in hind sight, I'd have been better off if I'd spent 1/4 the time practicing shooting at long range under hunting conditions (not at the range).

My $0.02

Fish Slapper

Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
The rifle I bought has been glass bedded, accurized and has a match grade barrell..the seller has a great 180 gr load worked up but I was hoping to maybe work up a load for a larger bullet...I am used to using a 338 win mag with 225 grain nossler but really limited in range. I am focused on 600 yards and less with great accuracy and knock down power. I am presently purchasing everything needed to start reloading and looking forward to seeing how this monster shoots, shes a heavy girl for sure.

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Mark, 180 gr bullets are near optimum for that caliber but 200 grainers even have higher B.C.'s and better sectional densities. Find an accurate load that pushes a 200 gr. Nosler Accubond to about 3000 f.p.s. and you will have a devastating load that just about perfectly matches a Burris ballistic plex scope. I have not reloaded for that caliber but I have loaded for the 338 RUM. I also load for many other calibers and I can definitely get you pointed in the right direction with the loads. When I get home tonight I will look in my notes and manuals and Pm you some starting data.

Fish Slapper

Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
Mark, 180 gr bullets are near optimum for that caliber but 200 grainers even have higher B.C.'s and better sectional densities. Find an accurate load that pushes a 200 gr. Nosler Accubond to about 3000 f.p.s. and you will have a devastating load that just about perfectly matches a Burris ballistic plex scope. I have not reloaded for that caliber but I have loaded for the 338 RUM. I also load for many other calibers and I can definitely get you pointed in the right direction with the loads. When I get home tonight I will look in my notes and manuals and Pm you some starting data.
Thanks for the info! currently I have a new Swarovski 4x12x50 with the ballistic reticle for the rifle but was considering trading up to a 5x25x50 with the ballistic turret.....

9/0NASTY

TEAM AWESOME
Jun 3, 2010
Oak Harbor/Wa/ United States
Name
Don
Boat
24' NR Seahawk O/S BALLSDEEP
Me and my buddies all shoot the 300 ultra and the 338 ultra. We use 190gr berger VLD for the 300 ultra and we are pushing that bullet at 2975, we shoot long range primarily. The load we have shoots less than .5 MOA at 200. The 338 Ultra we shoot 250 and 300gr bergers, my latest load at 100 for this gun is .397 at 100. If you want to shoot heavier bergers than the 190 you are probably going to have to get a Wyant magazine box thrown in it for around 350 by benchmark barrels that is who we use. Shoot me a PM if you want our recipie for the 300 ultra. No body other than Matrix bullets out of canada makes a better BC bullet than Berger.

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Velocity, schmelocity. You should have FPS to spare w/ that cartridge. Work up a load for accuracy. I recently found a site... longrangehunting - com. Check 'em out.

BTW, it's been a while, but if I recall trimming cases is only important after you've used them a few times and they start to stretch and create chambering probs. It was the last thing I ever worried about. I spent a lot of time cleaning cases, deburring the case rim, determining a good overall cartridge length/bullet seating depth, finding a hunting bullet that would fly straight, working up loads w/ 3-4 powders to see what shoots well, then glass bedded the action, floated the barrel... And in hind sight, I'd have been better off if I'd spent 1/4 the time practicing shooting at long range under hunting conditions (not at the range).

My $0.02
I've seen some win mag rounds that needed trimming after 1. It only takes a second and you should check every casing.

tinmanxx

Jun 6, 2009
McCleary, WA
Name
Mark
Boat
7 Meter Donzi / Thunder Rat
I load for my 300 RUM. I found that my gun likes the BarnesX in 180 gr. coated with 96.5 grains of H1000. Kicks them out at 3170 fps. My longest kill was at 545 yds right between the horns and still traveled close to 20 in down the neck with 85% weight retention. That is the only recovery made as all others have been clean pass thru's. If you can't find help PM me and I will come help you get started.

blackelk

Wishing I was Tuna fishing
Sep 11, 2010
Montesano, Wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
I load for my 300 RUM. I found that my gun likes the BarnesX in 180 gr. coated with 96.5 grains of H1000. Kicks them out at 3170 fps. My longest kill was at 545 yds right between the horns and still traveled close to 20 in down the neck with 85% weight retention. That is the only recovery made as all others have been clean pass thru's. If you can't find help PM me and I will come help you get started.
mark
you ever try retumbo? I have my 300 rum shooting in the upper 3300's with 180grn accubonds pretty good. At that velocity the barnes x bullets fouled the barrel pretty good. the 300 rum is not as good as my old 30-378, I had that in the 3500fps but the rum brass is dirt cheap.

Fish Slapper

Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
Name
Mark
Boat
mark
you ever try retumbo? I have my 300 rum shooting in the upper 3300's with 180grn accubonds pretty good. At that velocity the barnes x bullets fouled the barrel pretty good. the 300 rum is not as good as my old 30-378, I had that in the 3500fps but the rum brass is dirt cheap.
I have NEVER reloaded for a rifle in my life, just pistol so this is all new to me. I just want to find a good load and have everything set up so I can crank some out when needed. I ordered 300 pieces of new unprimed brass yesterday so i plan to keep some ammo around. I want to have a real custom rifle built if I end up liking the 300 RUM (which I think I will) so I will be calling on all that offered their help...lol...

blackelk

Sep 11, 2010
Montesano, Wa
Name
Mike
Boat
I have tried reloader 22, reloader 25 and retumbo. I have shot 180 grn acubonds, barnes x, swift scirroco's and hornady bonded bullets. My gun seems to do best with 180grn accubonds and retumbo powder. retumbo comes with reloading data on the side. My dad has a 300 rum, his gun shoots reloader 22 with 180 grn hornady bonded bullets best. I have a precision mic gauge and both guns have different freebore. I had custom work done to my gun and had a new barrel installed with less freebore. some said the 200grn acubond is good. I had good results as well but like the 180 grn as it is a all around load. I have shot several elk and muledeer with great results. As far as reloading, I would start lower and work up to the best load it will shoot. my gun seems to like hot loads and still shoot under 3/4" at 100 yds. my dads shoots tighter but is only 3200fps

blantz

Mar 26, 2009
Pierce County
Name
Brad
Boat
1994 26' ClipperCraft Mark V

My $0.02
You always want to check case lengths since a case that is too long can crimp onto the bullet when chambering causing high pressures even if it isn't a maximum load.

magnumb

Apr 10, 2011
BELLINGHAM, WA USA
Name
KEN
Boat
SUSHI SLAYER
My buddy and I each bought a 300 RUM when first introduced. I've handloaded for 30+ years and found the 300 RUM to be an easy cartridge to load for.....easy as in finding very good accuracy with several loads and different components.

After going through many different combinations of powders, 180 and 200gr. pills, seating depths and other 'love of labor' testing, I've ended up with the 200gr. Nosler Partition, Reloder 25 powder, Federal Gold Match Mag. Rifle primers (#215's) and Rem. brass. A 4.5 X 14 X 44 (adjustable objective) Zeiss scope sits atop this rifle. All of my several big game rifles have this same scope mounted. It is a comfort to always have the same view/reticle and adjustments available to you when a shot, especially a bit faster one, offers itself. As the OP said in one of his posts.....consistency is the key to accuracy, this includes all aspects of your hunting equipment, from your loads, rifle/scope, trigger pull, breathing to how you assume the many different shooting positions one may encounter (easily practiced on your living room floor). This particular rifle also sports a Jewell trigger, has a laminated stock that is glass bedded and has a Limbsaver butt pad. As always in the elk country that I hunt, attached to this rife is a Harris Bipod of the swivel base variety.

As has been mentioned, RL22 is also a fairly suitable powder, but RL25 is a slower burning powder and takes up more of the case (powder column) than RL22. RL25 was made for these very large cases. If I could have found a powder for these cases that allowed me a compressed load with the 200gr. NP, I would have been even more satisfied, but it's just not possible. RL25 comes as close as only a very few and bunches closer than most to filling up this very large case. It is always prudent to try several different powders as with most all other components, but the slower burning powders in extra large cases were designed for one another.

My 300 RUM was purchased as solely a dedicated elk and larger round. I like velocity, but I also put performance/accuracy ahead of all else, as most do. Most are likely too young to remember when one of the first, big game polymer tipped bullets was introduced with a higher than usual BC. Swift put it out and it was the father of the current Swift Scirroco II. It was introduced as the Swift Scirroco and was first offered in a 180gr. pill. Before I started purchasing and working up loads for it, I called Swift and asked if this bullet was designed for big bodied game such as elk or was this bullet more a deer pill. As we might all expect, the answer was "yes" to both. It wasn't.

I've taken my share of bulls in 36 years and took about a dozen before owning the 300 RUM. The ole '06 accounted for that 1st dozen, shooting 180gr. NP's @ 2,750 fps using a full load of IMR4350. Not sure why I ever changed cartridges because that load, when I did my part, was a one-shot load, each and every time, without fail. As with most things in life, we're always looking for a better mousetrap, whether real or imagined. In that regard, I'm certainly no different.

So that first year with my new 300 RUM and 180gr. Super Duper Swift Scirroco's, I get my shot on a bull that I'd followed with it's herd for about the last 1 1/2 hrs. They screamed behind my camp at 5,500 ft. all night long which didn't allow me much sleep, if any. But I was sure as hell that there were bulls in that group......I mean screamin' within 150 yards of our tent. Cold, clear 20 degree nights doesn't muffle much at 5,500 ft. I absolutely love elk season.

After being made by a few cows on a few different ocassions during my 1 1/2 hr. stalk, I finally ended up about 80 yards downwind of the approx. 60-70 animal herd. I picked out a broadsided bull and aimed for my typical double lung area, At the shot, which was offhand due to not being able to kneel or sit and feeling quite comfortable shooting offhand, I couldn't find that same bull in my scope after the initial recoil. As per usual, they immediately headed out with the lead cow quickly assuming her position up front. I made it to the top of a little knoll and immediately assumed the prone position and scoped each one of the elk from the lead cow back. All cows, 5 bulls, but not mine. WTH! So thinking that I again might have not seen mine gimping along with the rest of the group, I gave chase. I chased them for the better part of 1/2 mile and had another opportunity to really see them all together.....still my bull wasn't with 'em.

I hustled back to where I took the shot knowing that I hit that bull and had hit him hard. Every bull before that was a one-shot deal and never traveled over 15-20 yards with most being DRT. As I passed a large blowdown, which was almost to where I took my shot, my bull staggers to it's feet not 5 yards in front of me and faces me. He had laid down behind this blowdown when first hit and with all the elk commotion at the shot, I couldn't see him. So he takes off like a drunk sailor and I kneel down and put one in his left shoulder.....he goes down at only maybe 20 yards max in front of me. Again....he gets up!! Again, I aim for his driving gears again (left shoulder knuckle) and he goes down at that shot too. I run over to him and he's doing the 'flop around thing' trying to get up yet again. I employ a 'brainer' and we're finally good. SOB!! What the hell!

By this time, there were 4 other hunters that had watched this scenario from maybe 100 yards away, drawn to this area initially by my very first shot which was about 20 minutes prior to this live fire training exhibition. Two of these guys were my camp/hunting partners. They couldn't believe what they saw either, 'cuz both have seen me dispatch elk much more easily for many, many years. All 3 shots to the body landed where intended. The 2 shoulder shots could have been covered with a fist. After gutting and skinning, which is always interesting for me anyway as far as terminal effectiveness goes, we discovered that none of the 3 bullets exited, not even the double lunger shot, nor did any hold together enough to even be able to recognize it as a bullet. Total separation and bullet failure....not cool.

I felt bad and still do about that kill. It went on waaaay too long. I called Swift when we got out of the hills and made clear my disappointment. I sold all the Sciroccos I had to guys that only hunted deer and varmints and informed them that these were clearly not elk pills. The Scirroco II's have been out for years and I truly hope that they prove to be an elk worthy bullet because the initial Sciroccos clearly weren't.

These 'super duper' large case capacity cartridges can and do allow us to do some amazing things, but they can't make up for marksmanship, knowledge of vital areas nor the quality of the components you use in regards to the game that you have chosen to pursue. My story was hopefully helpful in that regard. I also wanted to let those know that might still be toting around some of those early 180gr. Scirroco's and intend on hunting elk or larger that your results may from than mine, but I wouldn't count on it. My experience wasn't rare during those early years as lots of similar experiences were told on different hunting forums, unfortunately.

Sorry for going on about this unfortunate and disturbing experience, but if it can save another hunter and another elk that pain, it was well worth it.

A 200gr. NP out of your new 300 RUM will do nicely.....best of luck and please feel free to pm me with any questions, concerns or just plain 'rifle loonie' chit-chat.

swiveljig

Dec 29, 2011
Moxee Washington USA
Name
Kirk Poeggel
Boat
Sea Squirt - 22' '79 Cruisers Inc. Barnegat
Me and my buddies all shoot the 300 ultra and the 338 ultra. We use 190gr berger VLD for the 300 ultra and we are pushing that bullet at 2975, we shoot long range primarily. The load we have shoots less than .5 MOA at 200. The 338 Ultra we shoot 250 and 300gr bergers, my latest load at 100 for this gun is .397 at 100. If you want to shoot heavier bergers than the 190 you are probably going to have to get a Wyant magazine box thrown in it for around 350 by benchmark barrels that is who we use. Shoot me a PM if you want our recipie for the 300 ultra. No body other than Matrix bullets out of canada makes a better BC bullet than Berger.
X2
I've been hunting with this round in Washington and wyoming for the last 8-9 years, started out with 200 accubonds, then 190 sierra's, even tried 130 coated Barnes at 3800 fps.But for the last 5years I use 190 bergers exclusively. They are vicious!! Overkill for deer and antelope, but puts them down every time and with authority! I use a lot of retumbo powder and definitely use federal magnum primers, preferably the gold medal (benchrest) style. They were made for the big magnums. You will get factory speeds. I have a 26" lilja barrel and I have gotten 3300 fps but was loosening primer pockets, so I dropped to 3150 and have no problems. I use a huskemaw scope (way overrated) and have killed several antelope at the 550-650 yard range. Go to reloadernest.com and find a load there that matches the gun you shoot. You can PM me if you want for some recipes, I load for mine and my brothers rifle.

blackelk

Sep 11, 2010
Montesano, Wa
Name
Mike
Boat
I shot my bull this year with 180 grn accubonds. I have shot 3 bulls with them with similiar results. My dad calls them exploding bullets but everyone has shot thru and not able to recover the bullet to weight it. The bull I shot this year on a rainy wet day, I shot it about 150 yds and the picture below is of the exit wound.

Attachments

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I have shot a dozen animals with Nosler Accubonds and recovered 4 of them. Bullets that is. The average weight retention is around 70% and the mushroom looks textbook. They have never let me down.

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
Got a buddy who you has a 300 rum. He reloads exclusively and has played around a lot with that cal. He found that Rotumbo close to the max charge allowed with 180gr Acubond was most accrate. Please remember to start at the min and work up to max charge for your safety though!