Anybody hear what happened to the Tomahawk?

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
1632335953759.png

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
I was out at the Tanner on Saturday on another boat. That night the weather got pretty bad. We tried to flatfall fish but the drift was so bad that you couldn't get down even with a 500g flatfall. I was on a top bunk and I almost got tossed out a couple of times. We sat there all night and the next morning it was so bad that we didn't even try to fish and we ran to SCI to get out of the wind. The weather turned out to be much worse than they were predicting.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I was out at the Tanner on Saturday on another boat. That night the weather got pretty bad. We tried to flatfall fish but the drift was so bad that you couldn't get down even with a 500g flatfall. I was on a top bunk and I almost got tossed out a couple of times. We sat there all night and the next morning it was so bad that we didn't even try to fish and we ran to SCI to get out of the wind. The weather turned out to be much worse than they were predicting.

The forecast for that day was horrendous all week. It was supposed to blow 20+ by 10 AM Saturday. We were out on Friday and I couldn't believe how many people were going to stick it out overnight and stay Saturday like they hadn't even looked at the wether.

Our original plan was to go Saturday but we changed it based on the weather. We got our fish Friday and high tailed it home.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
  • Jul 19, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    Yup that swell cost me a big fish on the 400g knife jig as I came tight and rod loaded up but had to brace myself against the rail and the line went slack for a second and fish gone. We stayed out on the bank and got beat up. Not sure how a wave could damage the boat like that. It was bad but wasn't Perfect Storm type shit. I mean we fished in it.. Sucked but we did it.

Capt Devo
    Capt Devo
    Whatever the boat is constructed with here's the main point if you have passengers aboard as a Captain it is your job to keep them safe and comfortable as well as minimized the wear and tear on the vessel so in a big swell.
    Always best to simply turn off the auto pilot, reduce speed, get out of the chair stand up and steer by hand while throttling back on the comers and swell bottoms.
    Upvote 0
    gettingbentwithbo
    gettingbentwithbo
    Boat going full steam into a headwind taking on a big wave. I also heard that the boat had bow damage in the past that wasn't properly repaired the first time.
    Upvote 0
    mogambosquid
    mogambosquid
    I can't comment on any repairs done, but one morning at the Coronados, around 1988-90, I distinctly remember that boat, under it's original name, limping by with a 6' hole in the starboard bow, from above the waterline through the cap rail.
    They had hit north island, for the usual reason.
    The coast guard offloaded the passengers, and the boat idled back to SD. Conditions were total grease.
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Waves can certainly do some damage. I was on a local boat that was running upswell and we took a big one that really did a number on the house. The heads were smashed in, and there was other damage to the superstructure. That boat has a steel hull so no issues at the water line, but it was out of commission for a while for repairs.
    Hoping that they can do all the work on the Tomahawk quickly and safely!

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    Waves can certainly do some damage. I was on a local boat that was running upswell and we took a big one that really did a number on the house. The heads were smashed in, and there was other damage to the superstructure. That boat has a steel hull so no issues at the water line, but it was out of commission for a while for repairs.
    Hoping that they can do all the work on the Tomahawk quickly and safely!
    Quickly or safely pick one ...........

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    I have been on a albacore trip that the boat cracked a A frame in rough weather. Limped back to port. You could not tell externally any problem. The keel is strong at the bow, it has to be broken there.
    Looking at the website the boat runs water out of the front normally. What was the name of the boat before?
    CAT SPECIAL out of Ventura, then Newport Beach at Davey's Locker

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Bob Fletcher former SAC prez bought the started boat from Izor,finished it and named it Cat Special as I remember.Ran out of San Diego for years.If you look at it straight on, look of the boat it is pretty wide at the deck leaving it IMO to be able to stuff the bow in big swells.FWIW,Tom

Ratshirt
    Ratshirt
    With both forward bait tanks full she would plow like mad. Usually without bait water weight she would ride over moderate swells without so much pounding. This happened on the way out so they probably crossed their fingers.
    Bad break.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    The forecast for that day was horrendous all week. It was supposed to blow 20+ by 10 AM Saturday.
    I guess it is all relative, but from my perspective, the reports never looked horrendous, and certainly 20 knots of wind isn't so bad that a decent sized boat would cancel a trip. In fact, I wouldn't use the word "blow" to describe 20 knots. More like "puffing 20 knots".

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    I guess it is all relative, but from my perspective, the reports never looked horrendous, and certainly 20 knots of wind isn't so bad that a decent sized boat would cancel a trip. In fact, I wouldn't use the word "blow" to describe 20 knots. More like "puffing 20 knots".

The comment was that the weather was unexpected and came out of nowhere. The weather was exactly what I saw on several forecast models.

You are right 20 knots is no big deal for a sporty or your boat ... for the 20-25' boats that were all over the bank 20 knots of wind on the bank 90 100 miles from home is pretty awful. Everyone I spoke to who stayed said it was utter dog shit which is exactly what I saw coming in several of the models.

Reactions: marlyn
    MYNomad
    MYNomad
    I agree. My buddy was out there on a 38' boat and was miserable. And for the record, being prone to seasickness, I would have been miserable on my boat, even though it is stabilized.
    Upvote 0