Anybody Else Not Fishing Guadalupe This Year?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Abaco, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Just checking. I'm doing a 4-day, freezer-loader, trip mid-summer on the Royal Star. Fun fishing...cruising the paddies and chasing some breezers. Looking forward to it. Best of luck to all my fellow BDers as we get this season rolling.

2. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    Could be that none of us are! I'm signed up for a trip that should go, but no word on permits, yet. At least no word that I've heard. Either way, here's to another great season!

Andy253 likes this.
  3. chef tom

chef tom Member

Name:
    tom waggoner
    Boat:
    none
    If Guadalupe island is out we will be at the rocks and the ridge . That works for me !!

4. carloscafe

carloscafe Member

Name:
    Darrin
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hey Dave, long time no talk. I'm booked on the Star for October 1-8. Don't really care where we go as long as its South of San Diego. LOL Just knowing that I have the possibility of the Rocks, Lupe, or other points south keep me from going insane at work.
    So as time goes by and the fish reports start to come in, I will just sit back and bite my nails as I chomp at the bit for my chance to pull of whatever decides to pick up my fresh sardine.
    Darrin

5. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    In the old days a trip to Guadalupe was either for a shorter trip or a checkin on the way down or back. You might stop there on the way back from a 10 day but you sure wouldn't start there. Such a fun place...but when it was available for every trip back in the day....it was just like any place....hot at times...with a real chance at a jumbo within short range....or cold...kind of like Alijos now...sucks when you make the trek out there and the captain says he is metering nothing......we gotta make a move....for a day! Very Cool place....I have dove and spearfished most of the island....wild...beautiful ....dangerous place!

That being said...I'm fishing a 10 day on the Indy this year in December....I really hope the fishing is good enough to not have any reason to have to fish Guadalupe!

Fishybuzz, Bill W, Olddog8 and 2 others like this.
  6. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats

Well I look forward to your always great report on your Indy trip Dave. I love those December 10-days. Best wahoo fishing of my life a couple years ago. Ripper YFT as well some years. Good Luck!!!

Pangamaster likes this.
  7. Uglybones

Uglybones Take a step to the left.

Name:
    Ian
    Boat:
    the big one with 30 other people
    Spearfishing the Lupe? That must have been awesome. I hear the Calicos are prehistoric down there. What was your experience spearfishing the Lupe like?

8. reel man

reel man Common sense

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure
    Back in the day the Lupe was kinda automatic for 4 days, or more, but with all the BS from Mexico it has disappeared from my want list. Went there on the Apollo in the early 2K, after JJ bought the boat, and found the fishing was great (scored an 85# YFT), tails and hog calicos, but alas no more.

I'll do the longer trips, and get as good or better fishing.

Fishybuzz and Bill W like this.
  9. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    I used to work on the Horizon and we did a few 7 - 10 day trips each year to spearfish and dive Guadalupe. This was pre Great White shark cage diving days. What an amazing experience each and every time. I have too many stories to post here. Gin clear water, filled with yellowtail, yellowfin and wahoo....and sharks. The under water geography is amazing....like a giant lunar land scape with various flora and fauna found in this unique boundary area of the temperate oceans. We never had much luck on the tuna but we saw them all the time and picked off a few. We would get wahoo every trip....even when the long range boats fishing all around us were not catching them....they were always there. Some of the yellowtail we got were just amazing. One of our crew picked off the largest ever for California Yellowtail at around 72#'s. (Spear fishing ) I think it's been beaten since? We saw and swam with whales, Dolphin, Huge Manta Rays....just an amazing place. Very spooky though....you always felt like eyes were on you.....watching you. When you finally saw a shark it was a relief because you knew where it was....no one ever got hurt on our trips and we saw very few great whites.....even though the long range boats would radio us telling us the taxman was in their chum line eating all there fish....sometimes less than a mile away.

I have since done one of those cage diving trips and seen 5 or 6 GWS's at the same time.....it would be really hard to free dive that island now after seeing all that....

And there I was .....got dropped off up current on the North end of the Island. About 2 miles from the boat....bend down and pull a couple of bands back on my gun.....looking down I see a few 30# tuna really close.....I get excited and follow their path...... Looking down to load the rest of my bands a 10 foot bull shark glides between my legs....holy shit! I finish loading my bands and watch her swim off into the distance....I'm a little rattled... I wave my gun in the air which is the signal to get picked up.....the Mexican Navy chooses that time to board the boat....I'm forgotten about for a time.....it was a long swim back to the boat with visions of sharks and the feelings of being watched.....made it. Won't ever forget it.

These trips is where I picked up my name PangaMaster.....all day long was spent in the skiffs shuttling passengers around to various dive spots, hauling in there catches...and picking up the free divers before they drifted past the boat.

Mangisda, scott v, Bill W and 9 others like this.
  10. Uglybones

Uglybones Take a step to the left.

Name:
    Ian
    Boat:
    the big one with 30 other people
    Absolutely epic. Thanks for the story.

11. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Holy Smokes

12. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I can't say for sure, yes or no. I'd say unlikely on my Spring 8 day,but it could happen. More likely on the September 6 day. Many of the boats have applied for permits and we all remain hopeful.

13. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Hey Darrin! I'll be out a couple months before you so I'll try to leave some fish out there for you.

I had one trip to the rocks about 5 years ago that was pretty epic tuna fishing. I miss that. Out there on the last trip we SLAYED the wahoo (and battled some sharks). But, I miss the experience of anchoring there, getting up in the morning and doing battle with the yellowfin. Someday they'll return, I figure.