Anybody been on a 6 day trip and went on to the rocks/ridge?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by matrixx611, Jan 25, 2016.

1. matrixx611

matrixx611 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    none
    I was just curious. I was looking at some 6 day trips and the description states can fish all the way to the rocks.RP has it on their 6 day trips..."Trip could fish as far south as Alijos Rocks, targeting Yellowfin tuna, Bluefin tuna, Yellowtail, Wahoo and Dorado."

2. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    Last June I was on a 6 day on the Independence and we fished the ridge. Blufin in Mexico was closed and the fishing at Cedros and Alijos was dead. We ran south non stop for 50 hours then had almost 2 full days of wide open fishing on 25 lb. yellowtail and yft. I'm sure that if fishing was good at Alijos we could have gone there but the ridge was a better option. Usually the 6 day trips fish offshore then Cedros, Turtle Bay etc. but sometimes you have to run long to find fish.

3. The Reel Grind

The Reel Grind Member

Name:
    kane
    Boat:
    258 Grady White Journey
    Years ago right when they started the permit process for Guadalupe I went on a 6 day on the American Angler that went to the ridge. Caught lots of small yft and my first wahoo on that trip. They turned the trip into a 7 day now.

4. strackle99

strackle99 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    The one on the fish
    Alijos would be four days driving, and two days fishing.

That is a big gamble for a skipper.

It would have to be amazing fishing for a skipper to make that call.

Dr Polynomial and Bill W like this.
  5. bluefin grin

bluefin grin Newbie

Name:
    Jeff Stephens
    Boat:
    Fortune
    The rocks are not a normal destination for a 6 day trip. On the Shogun in 2009 and Norm rolled the dice and we scored. Wahoo, yellowtail and yellowfin up to 120lbs. But if the captain guesses wrong you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and not much time to get anywhere else. Expect Cedros and offshore.

Dr Polynomial likes this.
  6. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Years ago on a six day on the Vagabond Mike Lackey drove down to the Rocks, the fishing was outstanding....and yes we only fished 2 days but it was worth it imo.

jiggyn likes this.
  7. Bigfishhateme

Bigfishhateme Semper Fi

Name:
    Sigmund
    Boat:
    "The Sea Monster"
    Billy Santiago bombed down to Alijos on RP 6 day for killer wahoo fishing..

sierraazuel likes this.
  8. caballo del mar

caballo del mar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    32' Amato cabin
    The RP has been to the Rocks quite a few times on 6 day trips. Frank will burn the fuel.

9. poncherello

poncherello I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    none

In June 2015, the JRI Custom Lures 6 Dayer aboard the Intrepid, bombed down to the Ridge. It was such a great feeling knowing that we were fishing with 3 other boats that were on 8 dayers.

We loaded up on YFT and YT for 2 days at the upper Ridge. Fished Cedros for 1/2 a day and did a few drifts at San Martin Island.

The gamble paid off and everyone on the trip was so stoked.

To fish Alijos on a 6 Dayer, the planets have to align. The conditions have to be good and the most important part is being all by yourself at Alijos.

10. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.

Ditto....when I signed up for a Vegabond September trip....years back.....I figured I was signing up for an extended 5 day...i.e. Guadalupe ...Cedros/Benito's offshore...nothing was happening....Guadalupe sucked.....offshore sucked.... Off we went for a huge gamble....worked out...killed the tuna and got my first wahoo.

Not what you really plan or want on a six day but if everything else sucks its nice to have options!

I have been to Alijos many times when it was so dead we left after a couple of hours....so yeah it's a gamble.

I wouldn't sign up for a 6 day Alijos trip....but if things turn to shit and Alijos is on......sure!

jer dog likes this.
  11. vegasandre

vegasandre I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Any Boat that I can go on
    Last year-sept 2014 on the Red Rooster on a 6 day, Andy made the call to rail down to the ridge.

He said : Do you guys want to use your Christmas rods at San Clemente for a pick or bail down to the ridge and give them a workout?

It was a great choice. We clobbered the fish first day at the ridge. Good wahoo fishing too. My buddy and I had Non stop popper action on decent size YFT all day and evening . Caught more wahoo next AM then started heading north and had great YT fishing on way up.

matrixx611 likes this.
  12. DMcD

DMcD Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dennis McDougall
    Boat:
    None
    Way back when, I used to fish 6-8 day trips with JJ on the Apollo that were limited to 10 anglers. I think maybe out of all of those trips, we only had 2 that ran with 10...usually it was 8 people and my buddies and I comprised 6 of the 8. JJ had no qualms about pushing the envelope.

One 6 day trip...nothing much was happening anywhere and JJ told us that no one had been to the rocks for about 10 days, and asked us if we wanted to take the gamble..."Hell Yes!" We killed the tuna, wahoo, and yellowtail on that trip for 2 days straight, and then bee-lined it home. Funny thing...on the way down to the dock the morning of departure, my buddy and I were listening to Let Talk Hook-up, and they had a story about a marine biologist who had just tagged a bunch (100 comes to mind) of juvenile yft at the Rocks 2 weeks earlier. The tags were worth $500. The second morning we were swamped with small yellowfin, and as I'm trying to shake off this little guy someone declared that there were "worms" hanging out of the fish. Turns out these were spaghetti tags, and the fish was worth $500. I gave the fish to JJ and asked if this would cover my beer tab and tip..."no problem, Dennis."

Fast forward to next year...another 6 day on the Apollo and JJ said we were going to the Ridge. We never got there. About 30 miles outside the Ridge, we hit a current/temperature break that was lined with kelps every 1/4 to 1/2 mile or so. We fished these for 2 days and put over 100 wahoo on the boat...all big ones 50 to 76 lbs (the latter being the jackpot fish). The dorado were thick as fleas...hard to get past them to get to the wahoo. Photos from that trip made the cover and inside photos of the Apollo brochure for a couple of years.

Very memorable trips...JJ was (and still is) one of the best, IMHO.

DMcD

13. TakeItEasy

TakeItEasy Member

Name:
    Michael
    Boat:
    Sold
    Nice story!

14. matrixx611

matrixx611 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for great stories and feed backs!

15. backlashjack

backlashjack Scallywag

Name:
    Jackson
    Boat:
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Yes, brief stop at the rocks on a 6 day once, even bombed down to the ridge on a 5 day one time.

matrixx611 likes this.
  16. Otis2527

Otis2527 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Excel
    A bunch of years ago on the Excel we ran to Alijos on a 6 day trip. Justin was running the boat at the time and he was talking to Bill Poole on the dock about making the run. Poole told him, "your the captain, you do what you think is right." Poole wasn't concerned about the fuel cost as it was about catching for the customers. Justin was stoked because it was likely the only game in town.

We fished two short days but caught 275 YFT from 25-70 pounds and a handful of YT. It was definitely an all in situation.

matrixx611 likes this.
  17. jiggyn

jiggyn Do you even fish?

Name:
    Jerr
    Boat:
    That boat!
    Roll dice you never know

18. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    On a 6 day, generally speaking, the rocks isn't the first choice or even usually on the menu. BUT if the skipper has solid intel that the rocks are going off and the stuff up north is lack-luster, they'll make the run.

DMcD, Fishybuzz and Bill W like this.
  19. Noah & Scoot

Noah & Scoot Wishin I Was Fishin

Name:
    Scoot
    Boat:
    18’ CC Baja
    Many years ago 3 day on the 105 to Benito's wide on the yellers for about 6 to 8 hrs back home!

20. SCHeadhunter

SCHeadhunter Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Sold to the man with $$$
    Did a 6 day trip with Tommy on the Polaris Supreme in the late 1990's and we opted for the Rocks.
    Insane YFT and wahoo during the day, jumbo Yellowtail in the wee hours of the morning in 250 feet of water on the Dropper Loop.
    Long ride but it was So Worth It.

DMcD likes this.