asalas0684

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 31, 2016
Madera ca
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Hello I’m looking to buy a boat here soon and by soon I mean in 2-3 weeks. So with that said I have never been a captain of my own rig for the ocean. I have owed a bassboat in the past. So with that said any tips on driving a boat in the ocean? Any tips on how to find good spots for tuna? Any help will be Appreciated

Shimano Penn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Take a salty ho with you a few times, should be easy to snag one off these boards.

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Wear a life vest. Pacific=Largest body of water on earth.

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
Socal, Poway
Name
Lou
Boat
Lund alaskan
Check the marine weather report before you go. Start out on relatively calm days. Spend sometime on your boat before venturing offshore 40-50 miles. GET TOWING INSURANCE

Reactions: strackle99

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
youre going to buy a boat in the next 2-3 weeks. Have you been shopping for a boat? have you picked one out? sea trial?
I remember switching from fresh to saltwater. Its a WORLD of difference

Reactions: terryc.

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Once you find a boat have a certified mechanic check out the drive drain , then have a coast guard inspection after you buy it , learn your electronics , then fond a buddy boater the first couple of trips the the catching will fall in place , if you fish san diego I'll buddy boat with you

asalas0684

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 31, 2016
Madera ca
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Once you find a boat have a certified mechanic check out the drive drain , then have a coast guard inspection after you buy it , learn your electronics , then fond a buddy boater the first couple of trips the the catching will fall in place , if you fish san diego I'll buddy boat with you
Thanks yes I will be fishing out of San Diego. I would really appreciate that Michael.

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Lots of good advice already.

Try to buddy boat, especially for your first time going out farther. Having friends on the water is always a good thing.

Remember to compensate for washing time after each trip. That's one of the biggest things I miss about freshwater. Just drive off and go home.

sueno

Go Fishing!
Jun 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
Parker 2310
Make sure you contact somebody with some knowledge before you buy any boat! Have it checked out thoroughly and don’t be in a hurry! Make a list of pros and cons. Talk to some salty people about what boat to buy and what boat to stay away from! Do lots of research! Don’t be in a hurry! Always ask why they are selling the boat! Always do a seatrial in the water!

asalas0684

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 31, 2016
Madera ca
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Make sure you contact somebody with some knowledge before you buy any boat! Have it checked out thoroughly and don’t be in a hurry! Make a list of pros and cons. Talk to some salty people about what boat to buy and what boat to stay away from! Do lots of research! Don’t be in a hurry! Always ask why they are selling the boat! Always do a seatrial in the water!
Oh shit Doug how are you? Any boats I should stay away from?

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
Take a Coast Guard class for sure. Do it online or in a classroom whatever works. You will not only get knowledge you will get a discount on insurance which is a nice bonus.

NoLDR

OG BD member
Mar 26, 2003
Sherman Oaks
Name
BRAD
Boat
29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
I grew up fishing and sailing on Lake Michigan while it isn't the Pacific it has very intense conditions. Upon moving to California some 25 years ago I got a 21' boat I took a class and have taken a class every year since. California law will soon make it mandatory for some people to have a license so do some research as I believe within the next 10 years EVERYONE will be required to have taken a class in order to be on the water.

You will have some incredible days on the water and you will have some very challenging days, best to be prepared for both as once you back the boat out you assume responsibility for everyone on board. That can be very overwhelming at time so best to be prepared.

NoLDR over and out.

Brad

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
Safety should always be your first priority. Things like life jackets (have whistles on them), radar, radio (know your emergency channels), GPS, EPIRB, flares, first aid kit, etc....

socaldieseltech

Jun 5, 2006
Santa Ana, CA
Name
Clyde
Boat
25' Wellcraft Coastal "No Reason"
Pay attention to your compass heading on the way out in case your electronics fail

Have a handheld gps and radio as a backup

Get vessel assist

Pay attention to the weather and use a few different sites to cross reference

Don't be afraid to turn back if the weather forecast is wrong

Let someone know where you are going and what time you will be back. For instance I tell my GF we be going out of mission bay to the 226 and the 302 and maybe out to the corner. We should be back by 3pm but of you don't hear from me by 6 something is wrong.

Do a radio check before you leave the harbor.

And lastly..... but very important....when you see a boat offshore just slide in slowly and get some!

There's nothing like catching pelagics on your own boat with no land in sight!

Good luck!

Reactions: stephen campbell

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
What’s EPIRB?
EPIRB in short is a transmitter that will signal the coast guard of your exact location. If you are running at night and hit an object and your boat sinks. You are floating in the middle of the ocean and will likely not be found. If you activate your EPIRB, your exact location can be found.
http://epirb.com/how_does_an_EPIRB_work.php

asalas0684

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 31, 2016
Madera ca
Name
Alex
Boat
None
EPIRB in short is a transmitter that will signal the coast guard of your exact location. If you are running at night and hit an object and your boat sinks. You are floating in the middle of the ocean and will likely not be found. If you activate your EPIRB, your exact location can be found.
http://epirb.com/how_does_an_EPIRB_work.php
Thank you. This is why I asked for info.