Any word from Santa Rosalia?

FM-Outside

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat
Anchor Baby
Has anybody heard any recent reports out of Santa Rosalia? I know its a stretch but I cant find a report anywhere. Planning on making the run to Isla Tortuga from the mainland side on Friday if the weather cooperates.

Thanks

Last edited:

ARTURO

Mar 6, 2006
Downey, CA / Punta Chivato
Name
Arturo
Boat
22ft.Striper
Damm ! What’s the distance to Tortuga from the main land ?
It’s a little under 30 miles from Chivato I imagine it’s much more coming from the other direction.

FM-Outside

Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat
Anchor Baby
Roughly 60 miles or so from San Carlos, Sonora. Pretty common for people to make the run in good conditions if the fish are around. I know quite a few guys who will head to Santa Rosalia to spend the night then fish it again in the morning before heading back. I haven’t been there since I was a little kid on my dads boat some 25 years ago. caught my first dorado a few miles off the Island on that trip. Hoping the weather holds and the fish are there, seeing a little wind on the forecast for Friday afternoon but nothing too concerning yet

ARTURO

Mar 6, 2006
Name
Arturo
Boat
22ft.Striper
Hope the weather clears up and the fish cooperate.
Safe travels to ya !!

Actually I remember fishing the San Lucas Cove Yellow Tail Tournament and hearing about a few participants who came from the main land to join.

Charles Fike

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 13, 2019
Newbury Park
Name
Charles Fike
Boat
24’ Skipjack Flybridge (Bella B)
Did your trip produce? I’m headed down in a few weeks.

Never fished this area. Loreto many times but thought I’d change it up. Staying at San Lucas cove in June.

Any help is appreciated.

killerfin

You fight like a girl !!!
Sep 6, 2006
santa ana
Name
Felipe
Boat
Your Mama

Never fished this area. Loreto many times but thought I’d change it up. Staying at San Lucas cove in June.

Any help is appreciated.

are you taking your own boat down?

Charles Fike

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 13, 2019
Newbury Park
Name
Charles Fike
Boat
Yes. Not the big Skippy though. She’s to heavy for this trip. Have a small 19’ skiff I’m taking.

killerfin

You fight like a girl !!!
Sep 6, 2006
santa ana
Name
Felipe
Boat
Your Mama
Yes. Not the big Skippy though. She’s to heavy for this trip. Have a small 19’ skiff I’m taking.
You should contact rigo from San bruno and have him take you out fishing he know that area like the back of his hands. I will be down there may 24th to June 1st. I will be fishing with rigo all that week.

FM-Outside

Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat
Anchor Baby

Any help is appreciated.
The wind shut us down so we fished local out of San Carlos. Did pretty well, there were tons smaller fish close to shore we would play with in the morning then run to San Pedro island for the better grade. hopefully we can make the run in may if the weather cooperates.
Good luck, post a report for us, seems like they're hard to come by for that area.

ARTURO

Mar 6, 2006
Name
Arturo
Boat
22ft.Striper
Killerfin , will u be fishing with Rigo the morning of June 1st ? We plan to be out there around that time, let me know.

Charles Fike

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 13, 2019
Newbury Park
Name
Charles Fike
Boat
Hi guys, I'm really starting to put together details and plan my trip to San Lucas Cove in June. My question is regarding a VHF for communication. Is anyone using them down there? If so what channel? My concern is only for safety communication and covering all my bases.

Thanks

FM-Outside

Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat
Anchor Baby
Hi guys, I'm really starting to put together details and plan my trip to San Lucas Cove in June. My question is regarding a VHF for communication. Is anyone using them down there? If so what channel? My concern is only for safety communication and covering all my bases.

Thanks

Not sure as I fish the mainland side but last trip I could here one side of a conversation with somebody talking to a boat off the Baja coast. Ch 68.
Just as an update... there's still lots of quality yellowtail off San Pedro Island out of San Carlos. We went 12 for 15 this last Friday and 8 for about 18 on Saturday(pulled a lot of hooks). Mostly jigging in 250-300 ft of water and a few trolling rapalas.
Still haven't caught the right weather window to run to Tortuga in my little boat but I spoke to a captain who said he new of 2 boats who made the run recently and didn't do very good. we're hoping to make the run later this month or early June. I read reports of the first few marlin being released out of SC so it looks like things are a gonna heat up here soon.

Charles Fike

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 13, 2019
Newbury Park
Name
Charles Fike
Boat
Not sure as I fish the mainland side but last trip I could here one side of a conversation with somebody talking to a boat off the Baja coast. Ch 68.
Just as an update... there's still lots of quality yellowtail off San Pedro Island out of San Carlos. We went 12 for 15 this last Friday and 8 for about 18 on Saturday(pulled a lot of hooks). Mostly jigging in 250-300 ft of water and a few trolling rapalas.
Still haven't caught the right weather window to run to Tortuga in my little boat but I spoke to a captain who said he new of 2 boats who made the run recently and didn't do very good. we're hoping to make the run later this month or early June. I read reports of the first few marlin being released out of SC so it looks like things are a gonna heat up here soon.
Thank you, all help is appreciated.