Any try an Eastwood welder

Discussion in 'Camping & 4x4' started by willyok, Feb 10, 2019 at 8:49 AM.

1. willyok

willyok Member

Name:
    Will
    Boat:
    Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
    Hey guys I’m looking at getting into making some repairs to my aluminum boat. I wanted to see if any of you have tried the Eastwood ac/dc tig 200 welder. The few reviews I’ve seen, make it look pretty decent.

I know it’s not a miller or Lincoln but at the price it goes for I can’t even touch a used blue or red brand.

Again not looking to use this welder for a business. Only to make repairs on my bayrunner and other occasional use.

I’d appreciate any feedback or opinions.

Will

2. stank

stank Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    I don’t know anything about the Eastwood, but depending on your level of experience, you may want to consider an oxyacetylene outfit, more versatile and much more forgiving.

3. willyok

willyok Member

Name:
    Will
    Boat:
    Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
    I have used Oxy acetylene in the past and actually own a small set. At this point im only considering repairs to my bayrunner with TIG welding methods.

4. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Plastic navy
    Tigs cool. Mig with argon and a spool gun is easier though. And possibly cheaper. Swap with co2 and you can do steel. I’ve heard just ok things about Eastwood. I would see if esab or Hobart have anything in your price range first though.

5. willyok

willyok Member

Name:
    Will
    Boat:
    Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
    Ive run a spool gun on 1/4" and and thicker aluminum but again i do not think it would be anywhere near ideal for the thin skin on the Bayrunner. Hobart makes an entry level AC/DC TIG that would work but almost double the price of the eastwood.

I looked into the ESAB Units and they do look great but seen any reviews on any AC TIG machines that can actually weld aluminum.

I actually just signed up for a two day TIG course. He says he has several machines on hand to test that range from cheap to extravagant

6. stank

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    Hobart no longer makes equipment, it’s Miller equipment with different stickers.

That said, Miller (ITW) makes fine equipment.

7. yakdout

yakdout Professional

Name:
    Brandon
    Boat:
    Plastic navy
    Actually, Hobart is not Miller equipment. ITW owns Hobart, as well as Miller. Miller does not own Hobart, nor are miller and Hobart the same machines.

8. stank

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    None
    The only thing Hobart still makes is filler metal.

9. ajon

ajon Newbie

Name:
    andy
    Boat:
    freebait
    I started with the eastwood 200, good unit for entry level, takes a little practice before you get used to it. BIL still uses it. moved up to Lincoln

10. willyok

willyok Member

Name:
    Will
    Boat:
    Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
    Thanks for the response. It’s super useful hearing from someone that’s actually used it. I’m gonna attend a TIG course/workshop. The owner says he has multiple welders to test drive before I make a decision. Again I appreciate it. If your contemplating selling it now that you have moved up LMK.

Will