TheJollyRoger

aaaaaarrrrgggg
Jun 7, 2019
Newport
Name
Jon
Boat
None
Interested in going to try and catch a thresher shark from the Newport/Huntington pier. Any suggestions on best times to go, and what kind of bait to use? I plan to use some frozen bonito on a 4/O hook. Plan to catch and release.

Last edited:

Hiimhaiii

boner loaner
Sep 18, 2018
Orange county
Name
Haime
Boat
Malibu Ocean kayak
Last season at HB pier, on my way back to land, maybe 10 ft closer in from the bait and kite store is; I saw a regular setting up two rods and hooked up to a 3ft smooth hound before he had a chance to even get his second rod out.

He was using thick mono(50% I guess) to swivel and steel wire to a big hook. Mustv’e been 7/0 or 8/0...he baited a partially filleted mackerel.

I usually catch small leopards and sand sharks there and seal beach before the construction. Those guys eat anything, I used 2 oz Carolina rig for those.

I would love to catch a big one-off the pier. I’ll be putting more time out at HB pier this season.

Reactions: TheJollyRoger

TheJollyRoger

aaaaaarrrrgggg
Jun 7, 2019
Newport
Name
Jon
Boat
None
Last season at HB pier, on my way back to land, maybe 10 ft closer in from the bait and kite store is; I saw a regular setting up two rods and hooked up to a 3ft smooth hound before he had a chance to even get his second rod out.

He was using thick mono(50% I guess) to swivel and steel wire to a big hook. Mustv’e been 7/0 or 8/0...he baited a partially filleted mackerel.

I usually catch small leopards and sand sharks there and seal beach before the construction. Those guys eat anything, I used 2 oz Carolina rig for those.

I would love to catch a big one-off the pier. I’ll be putting more time out at HB pier this season.
Thanks! I’ll be trying out a few different methods now!

Hismosa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 15, 2016
Burbank, CA
Name
Glenn
Boat
20' Skipjack, 14' "buckets"
The same way as catching a 300 lb. Mako shark from a kayak. The only difference is that you have to throw the flying gaff an extra 40 to 50 feet.
You're gaffing a fish and then releasing it? What?

garlicsalt

Jul 18, 2014
pitted.
Name
jed
Boat
''the twisted ducker''
Make live macs from the pier and try a balloon to float it out and away from the pier. Put the clicker and wait and hope.

Reactions: 909MARIO