BurningHeart

Wayward Son
Oct 12, 2010
Bakersfield
Name
Joel
Boat
N/A....I wish
Really new to light line surf fishing and wondered about some ok places to try for perch. I’m going to be in the Avila Beach area and wondered if there were any prominent spots to hit up. I’m not local to any coastlines so its totally understandable if I don’t get any responses. Definitely not looking to burn spots just trying to learn the art and craft of fishing the surf. Honestly I‘d be pretty happy if I only one or two hookup all day. Thank you ✊✊✊

Reactions: jiggermyster
Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Cambria, Pismo, can be good for perch. Sandy beach with some rocks nearby. I like a light spinning rod with a Carolina rid and gulp sand worms and walking the beach and casting. You could also sit and drown bait too if that's what you like to do. Best time to go is when you can really. I like fishing the crack of dawn only because there aren't many people to contend with.
Bill Varney has a great website. Mostly geared to down south but perch are perch. same ideas work up north pretty much

Reactions: BurningHeart
Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Swami gave you good advise, Just go! there are perch everywhere. look for places there are deep spots/holes. Early is best GL

Upvote 0

BurningHeart

Wayward Son
Oct 12, 2010
Bakersfield
Name
Joel
Boat
N/A....I wish
Thank you so much. Yeah I have some of the Gulp sand worms and some grubs too. Sweet, can’t wait to get out there and see what I can hook this weekend. Thanks again 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Reactions: ripped
Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I used to get halibut at Port San Luis.

Small krocodile work but white scampi on 1/2-3/4oz lead heads was best.

Fish around boat lift and up to cliffs.

Upvote 0