Hillbillymad

I’ve posted I enough I can change this
Jun 14, 2020
Upland
Name
Nolan Pianalto
Boat
None
I have a few packs of hammer swimbaits and going to Catalina on Sunday wondering what colors I should throw and if there’s any techniques you guys can throw at me thanks

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Cast, let it sink, feel the line for a "tick" on the drop if it gets bit.

Reel back in. Try slow and steady or burning it back. Some will reel, stop, freespool to let it drop, rinse and repeat.

I prefer to reel back steadily as I'm searching for any following fish.

Reactions: Hillbillymad

Hillbillymad

Jun 14, 2020
Upland
Name
Nolan Pianalto
Boat
None
Cast, let it sink, feel the line for a "tick" on the drop if it gets bit.

Reel back in. Try slow and steady or burning it back. Some will reel, stop, freespool to let it drop, rinse and repeat.

I prefer to reel back steadily as I'm searching for any following fish.
What’s colors do you like to use

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
White 5 inch Mc Swimbait with a 2oz leadhead. Make it weedless by not having the hook come out too high above the back. Reel back slowly and when you get hung up on kelp DON"T pull harder and make sure you get snagged!!? Stop reeling and let it drop back down a bit and you will get unstuck. :food-smil

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
I use a number of the popular manufactures maybe my fav would be Cory's MC baits. Many tackle shops sell them.

In my experience that clear with red flake is generally THE go-to color especially at the island. A red head makes it all the better.

Swimbait fishing I almost always fish a kelp cutter rig - whether fishing the kelp or structure.

Meter the spot you want to fish and get downcurrent to it and slightly off to one side. That way your pulling the bait into the way the fish are facing. Also if there are good size schools of bait up and swimming around there can always be a bunch of bass under them pushing them around. I have had some great calico fishing when they are up chasing bait. Point is the bass are not always sitting right down in the structure. Be aware of everything going on around you.

Reactions: Mtnfshr
Jul 19, 2015
DP area
Name
Oh No
Boat
diff daily
My personal favorite is a Big Hammer bleeding trout. Easily the most bit combo I've used.

You can try anything red to imitate crab or something more natural looking. I've had fish eat the psychedelic bubble gum or Christmas tree looking thing. Experiment.
I've found the Rainbow Trout colors work well, the prisim effect appears as lit-up scales on a hot bait. Xmas tree has similar qualities.
In the end, you just have to try different colors until you find one that they want.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Kman swim baits, Hes a member here!

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
plastic fantastic
So far this year I have not had a color not get bit which might be a first. Just make to sure hit the water then hold on!

Kman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
I poured some glow in the dark swimbaits to try tomorrow before sunrise. Anyone tried them before?

397D0AFE-EA12-4DB6-B832-80927BF2B397.jpeg

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
I like to set up directly down current from the kelp stingers. Cast between them and count down to let it sink. Try to see what depth they're hanging at.
As said above unibutter is your friend.
When the bass are up and feeding. Just about any color works.

Reactions: wallis johnson

Wade K in deep

Fish 4 Sanity, CnR
Sep 24, 2019
Mariposa, CA
Name
Wade Knupp
Boat
Kayak & Kickboat
Haven't had any luck with full glow, and I gave it a lot of time. A friend made some with a small core shot of glow that kinda looked like a belly full of plankton softly glowing and it was money. Wish I could get more.

Hillbillymad

Jun 14, 2020
Upland
Name
Nolan Pianalto
Boat
None
Haven't had any luck with full glow, and I gave it a lot of time. A friend made some with a small core shot of glow that kinda looked like a belly full of plankton softly glowing and it was money. Wish I could get more.
Yeah super slow fishing for me to git 10 calicos on the surface iorn none on a swim bait

Reactions: Noah & Scoot

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
As others mentioned, you will usually get hit on the sink. So you have to really pay attention. They will gulp it down and spit it out in about a heartbeat. That is why adding a scent to it helps, it slows down the "spit reaction" when the fish realizes it is something other than another fish.