Any thoughts on this?

Jul 19, 2015
DP area
Name
Oh No
Boat
diff daily
I've always been particular in the "butt to reel seat distance".
Some rods seem to require an awkward stretch to use, while others
fit perfectly.
Certainly inshore may be different than offshore preference.
What is it, is there a general rule of thumb?

Reactions: fishin_kid

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I'd say you need to get your hands on the rod and reel combo in person to make that judgment.

skrilla

allirks
May 26, 2006
San Diego
Name
Len
Boat
plastic fantastic
If casting is a priority usually a longer rear handle may be preferred. Some go by the length from the palm to the elbow then micro adjustments from there.

If fighting a fish and sticking the butt in your gut is a priority then a shorter rear handle may be preferred. The reel should be lower and closer in to your body so your not reaching too far. Low reel position gives you an advantage so when you crank the handle you can exert more force.

If fighting a fish on the rail is a priority then you may want enough rear handle to comfortably fit under your arm/body. Find the leverages that best work for you here.

fishin_kid

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 5, 2012
riverside
Name
David
Boat
nada
I’m the same way. Factory rods with reel seats always had me slightly hunched over when fighting a fish. So I started building my own rods and prefer the elbow —> palm (where you will be cupping the reel) distance. Makes it so much more comfortable to fight a fish and easy to drink your beer.

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
Dec 15, 2008
Menifee
Name
Scoot
Boat
18’ CC Baja
I’m the same way. Factory rods with reel seats always had me slightly hunched over when fighting a fish. So I started building my own rods and prefer the elbow —> palm (where you will be cupping the reel) distance. Makes it so much more comfortable to fight a fish and easy to drink your beer.
Art on the searcher did a vid on that ! Seems very logical