Any suggestions or advice for a fly down/ fly back - verses a ride down trip?

Dexter Outdoors

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
Sep 28, 2011
Mountain View
Name
Jonny
Boat
SD landings
I was booked on a ride down/ ride back 15 day trip this spring; however, it was canceled due to several cancellations that the boat was not able to fill. I am extremely fortunate that my personal life and my work allowed me to re-book last minute onto the RS fly down / fly back trip that leaves San Diego on Saturday - i'm meeting the boat in Cabo on Tuesday.

i've done two 12 day trips to the buffer zone, so I have a decent idea about the fishing, but is there any advice or suggestions? (im leaving it open ended because i don't have anything particular in mind)

Thanks BD!

Jonny

Upvote 0

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
Since I live on the East Coast, transporting gear and fish is a problem with the fly trips for me. If you live close enough to San Diego to take your gear to the dock to load on the boat and pick gear/fish up from the boat after the trip, this is probably a good option. Personally, I like the ride down to de-stress, build leaders, swap stories, get ready. I use the trip uphill to clean tackle, read, swap stories.
You could plan for a couple days in Cabo before and/or after the trip - do a little fishing, meet the wife for a mini-vacation, etc.
Don't forget your passport!

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    I like the ride down to rig gear.
    The ride uphill can be a bit tedious.
    I like the ride down, fly back best.
    But i live in SD, so meeting the boat is not a problem.

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    If possible ride down and fly back. Unless you really need some downtime then ride and ride. Hope you have a great trip.

Brad

Upvote 0

bbuck

Dec 20, 2005
    On the Water
    Name
    Buck
    Boat
    sunk
    When all the islands were open prior to 2002 the fly/fly or ride/fly tripe made a lot of sense. They could motor out to the H. bank or Clarion then fish Roca Partida, Socorro and finish the trip at the Lunker Hole at San Benedicto. Then one day of travel to Cabo and your home late that same day. Different story now days. Unless your one of those unfortunate guys who cannot be gone longer then 7 days at a time, your much better off with a ride/ride trip. If sea sickness on the way back is an issue then book the larger boats like the Excel, Indy, Intrepid.

Upvote 0

timmyd3853

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Sep 27, 2011
    Temecula, Ca.
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
    Don't like leaving the fishing grounds 1.5 days early to take the handfull of guys back to Cabo and then another 3.5 days home for what your spending. A straight out 15 day trip with no fly options gives you more time fishing than a 17 day will or the same with the extra 2 days for travel. 7 travel days 9 days on the ground's. So a 12 day with the travel days including a stop in Cabo should give you a full 5 days on the fishing grounds. So if a 15 day trip buys you 9 a 12 day trip with fly options may give you 4-5 days of fishing.

I almost signed on for a trip that offered the fly back option until I looked at the prices of similar trips that offered no such options and after calculating the travel days decided I was basically paying extra for a shorter trip on the grounds if I chose a trip with these offerings.
    red rooster dont charge any extra for the fly option trips AND its only an extra 1/2 day or travel time if you ride.

Upvote 0

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
    irvine
    Name
    mikegooing
    Boat
    none
    if you are at clarion,you have to leave by 8pm to get to cabo on the second morning after you leave. with a ride /ride you only get to fish that extra morning,unless your charter master or skipper decide to fish their way back and leave early

Upvote 0

Halfprice

Aug 10, 2006
    Whittier
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat
    Red Rooster 111
    I want to do a ride/fly back trip. I hate the up hill ride back home. I'm looking at the Excel 16/13 trip in January. If flying back home means losing a day of fishing that is ok by me.

Jerry

Reactions: vegasandre
    Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Any Boat that I can go on
    I want to do a ride/fly back trip. I hate the up hill ride back home. I'm looking at the Excel 16/13 trip in January. If flying back home means losing a day of fishing that is ok by me.

Jerry

For myself a ride down fly back would be optimal .
    Ride down = all excited ,chilling ,getting rigged up ,maybe stopping at alijos .
    Not too shabby.

At this point in my life the "ride home back to reality " would preferably be shortened by a flyback Option. Though I will also have to say that "beggars can't be choosers"-I would take any Opportunity to fish down there if it presented itself and had admiral approval.

What the hell am I supposed to do with all this tackle and the additional stuff I am going to buy this week at the fh show? Need to put it to better use.

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
    Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    I've never been smart enough to fly home. Have enjoyed a couple ripper poker games though.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Care to explain this a little further? I don't even see the problem that you speak of.

there is a company that takes care of the logistic problem of this

Reactions: NaplesJohn
    Upvote 0

The Right Kind

Slave to a Boat
  • Jul 9, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
    I guess some of you have never ridden uphill when the wind is blowin' 25, gusts over 30 with 15' + seas. You can't sleep because you keep flying into the ceiling when the boat falls off the back of a huge wave, the bow bait tank is crushed and leaks into the bunks below and no one shows up for dinner.
    I like the fly home trips!

Reactions: HAMBONES
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    I guess some of you have never ridden uphill when the wind is blowin' 25, gusts over 30 with 15' + seas. You can't sleep because you keep flying into the ceiling when the boat falls off the back of a huge wave, the bow bait tank is crushed and leaks into the bunks below and no one shows up for dinner.
    I like the fly home trips!

Gary been there done that…….it is OK by me as I'm at sea ……just me.

Reactions: Fish Asassin
    Upvote 0