Any Simrad marine electronics gurus in the Bay Area?

mr_mbuna

May 14, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Name
Ben
Boat
Robalo R227
I recently bought a boat with a complex Simrad electronics package (NSS12 display, 3G radar with RI-10 interface box, SonarHub, WM-2 radio and satellite module) and Yamaha Command Link Plus gauges. The SonarHub is not showing power and the networked devices (radar, sounder, gauges) are not showing up as sources. Hopefully it's just a power or cabling issue. It looks good on a quick visual but a quick call with the experts at Simrad customer support proved the whole thing is way over my head (especially since it was professionally installed and all the cables are tightly bundled).

Does anyone here have recommendations on marine electronics gurus near San Francisco? I've emailed Pete Rowland, Anyboat, Reliable Marine and Johnson Hicks Marine, who were all listed on the Simrad dealer locator. I was thinking maybe you all have experience with one of these shops or know a good freelancer.

img_20200726_094628_3f48d64f21f90d9ec776366425ff15334479469a.jpgimg_20200726_094634_04c62be41e9d658de61ee550835323c00a3ca98d.jpgimg_20200726_100312_4c7a335673cfca85fe2a8740d2e6361f19f3d6fd.jpg

Last edited:

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
It might just be on a switch circuit

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
No response from emails? Or are you just shot gunning until some one answers?

Last edited:

mr_mbuna

May 14, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Name
Ben
Boat
Robalo R227
No response fro emails? Or are you just shot gunning until some one answers?
I'd prefer to hire someone that's recommended, not just the first name in the Simrad directory. Just looking to benefit from others' experience!

mr_mbuna

May 14, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Name
Ben
Boat
Robalo R227
Oh - sorry, I misinterpreted that as criticism. I got quick replies from Pete Rowland and Reliable Marine Electronics. Overall that was a surprisingly good reaction. I'm currently in Solomons, Maryland, (where I bought the boat while visiting my folks) and have either been getting no response from technicians here or am being told it's a four week wait for service.

ShadowX

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
I would start by looking at the power to the Sonarhub first. The connector for the power is shown below. If you can get a multimeter to determine if you have power to the red and black leads first, that would be the first step. The second step is to trace the yellow wire to determine if its powered by the fish finder or if there is a hidden switch to turn on the electronics. It is possible there is a hidden switch somewhere to turn on the power to the sonarhub. If not, you should see the yellow wire on the Sonarhub connected to the yellow wire on the fish finder.

Did you turn on the ignition switch? Most Yamaha link power is connected to the ON terminal of the switch to turn on the power when ignition switch is on. Sometimes, the best thing to do is call the previous owner (if you can) and ask them. It might be something simple you overlooked.

simrad.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mr_mbuna

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Make sure you have power to the NMEA 2000 network itself.
He has a Simnet system with the hub as shown in his radar. It has power cable similar to the NMEA 2000 systems.

Is that a NAC-2 autopilot box mounted on the opposite side?

They did a hell of a good job on the wiring. Not much to pick on other than the stress relief on the radar connector is too tight. They literally bent that thing in in 90 degrees and terminated without much stress just for the looks.

The key is to follow the two green wires first. Make sure it goes to the fuse box below. Use a multimeter and check to make sure there is a voltage across the terminals. The fuse might be blown. If those are good, then follow the yellow arrow since that is the yellow wire. Find out if it goes to the fish finder or to somewhere else.

simrad2.jpg

Last edited:

mr_mbuna

May 14, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Name
Ben
Boat
Robalo R227
Is that a NAC-2 autopilot box mounted on the opposite side?
I wish, that would be sweet. It's a WM-2 weather and satellite radio module.

Thanks for the detailed help @ShadowX. I lucked out big time this evening. I was out for a long slow cruise and after an hour everything randomly booted up. Sounder, check. Radar, check. I was just doing loops in a side creek off the river so there weren't any jolts to put a loose wire back into place. My best guess is that the batteries were a bit low on voltage and needed to charge. 🙏

Screenshot_20200729-215801~2.png

Reactions: yakmandan

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
That's awesome! You should be proud of a boat with an electrical system that is well done like that. Most are just complete messes.

Reactions: mr_mbuna

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
If you already have a hydraulic steering helm, it is very easy to add in the NAC-2 autopilot system. Its one of the best upgrades you can do. It sure makes life a lot easier on long trips.

Last edited:

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
A few weeks ago I couldn't get my auto pilot to work. The screen said something like auto pilot computer not found. I took it to the guy who installed it but was strapped for time and left without getting it fixed. Fished La Jolla the next day and never tried to use it. The following day I went to the corner and 302 area. While drifting a paddy for no takers. I went to make a move to head to a different location and decided to check the auto pilot saw a cancel icon light up on my screen. Touched it and what do you know my auto pilot started working. Still have no idea what happened

aaamarine

Boat junky
Oct 28, 2006
Azores
Name
Andrew
Boat
Snow Squall
I messaged you I can give you a hand. I’m always in Bay Area doing boat work