I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 26, 2010
805 Santa Barbara
Name
jesus
Boat
Fishkilla
I saw online these new truth reels thag seem pretty
Cool, any one have any specs or reviews oR have fished them ?

Upvote 0

cabarkeep707

Oct 22, 2014
Name
Scott
Boat
Duckworth Pacific Navigator 215
I got the chance to fish my friends brand new sg a couple weeks ago... Had it paired with a Phenix black Diamond 808 felt great.... Action SAS very smooth..... I liked the drag very smooth and easy to adjust....

It cast a mile... 65# braid

Upvote 0

cabarkeep707

Oct 22, 2014
Name
Scott
Boat
Duckworth Pacific Navigator 215
I have been using the mxj mcs but I think I might just buy a couple of these and try them out

Upvote 0

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
I've handled (but not fished) the SG and it seems like a solidly built reel. They have not been afraid to make small improvements over the few years that they have been out. I am really curious about their new star drag, but haven't seen one in person yet.

-Connor

Upvote 0

teddy1130

Nov 29, 2011
CA,USA
Name
TS
Boat
none
Great reels, great customer service...have the "release" version of the sg but same thing. Gave it a try on a 1.5 day trip and I was surprised of how smooth the drags were when I was on fish. It's a powerful reel for the cost and size. The customer service was great. Contacted one of their reps due to a spool problem, sent in reel, got fixed, and they sent back serviced and with new parts without paying a dime. I don't know how that worked out, maybe I was just lucky.
If you do purchase the reel, get a t bar handle. I have a knob that just looks like an old shower knob. Overall, great reel.

Reactions: zfish
Upvote 0

Fishingfiends

Aug 17, 2014
Placentia, CA
Name
Blake Hurlburt
Boat
14' Aluminum Boat
Great reels, great customer service...have the "release" version of the sg but same thing. Gave it a try on a 1.5 day trip and I was surprised of how smooth the drags were when I was on fish. It's a powerful reel for the cost and size. The customer service was great. Contacted one of their reps due to a spool problem, sent in reel, got fixed, and they sent back serviced and with new parts without paying a dime. I don't know how that worked out, maybe I was just lucky.
If you do purchase the reel, get a t bar handle. I have a knob that just looks like an old shower knob. Overall, great reel.

Truth reels offers a lifetime warranty on all their reels, that's why you were not charged for the repair/service. They seem to have a lot of confidence in their reels, I may pick one up soon to give it a try. According to one of their reps that I've been talking to, they are working on a Star drag SG reel. May wait until that comes out, don't like lever drags that much

Upvote 0

Fishingfiends

Aug 17, 2014
Placentia, CA
Name
Blake Hurlburt
Boat
14' Aluminum Boat
Upvote 0

hdz805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 26, 2010
805 Santa Barbara
Name
jesus
Boat
Fishkilla
They have a surf reel and a regular star drag reel already
Only compliant it the minor clicking noise when turning the handle, other than that that reel is smooth and super torquey

Upvote 0

rowdyrosco

sancho
Apr 9, 2009
PSL
Name
ross
Boat
Skipjack 20
Got a SG two months ago, so far so good. Got a LG on the way, both are headed to guad island in a week so I'll report back. One thing I will say is that the machining on these reels is second to none, tighter than sissy's thing.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
I've never seen anything quite like it. I have the "Release LG" (now Truth), bought it used, and had a question or two. Sent them an email--and they called ME to talk it over. Made in the US--that alone is hard to believe and the reel itself feels great. I tied the line to a tree and started backing up, tightening bit by bit as I backed off. ENORMOUS drag, smooth as silk. And they make left hand versions.

Upvote 0

Fishingfiends

Aug 17, 2014
Placentia, CA
Name
Blake Hurlburt
Boat
14' Aluminum Boat
For you guys that have the reels, do you mind opening them up and posting a pic of the internals? I want to see how they compare with Avets and accurates

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
For you guys that have the reels, do you mind opening them up and posting a pic of the internals? I want to see how they compare with Avets and accurates
They are definitely well built with durable parts. His name eludes me, but I was taking with a kayak fisherman in LJ after a trip the other day and he has been using them for around a year 2-4x a week. They were still smooth as silk and he said they were at 100% with minimal maintenance, even though they are dunked regularly in the yak.

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    This is the problem with these reels: They don't want you to open them up. They ship with no schematic and the handle nut is secured with loctite making it virtually impossible to remove the handle to examine the pinion bearing, anti-reverse, etc. They have a good service policy -- but you still must package the reel and send it to the east coast. Were it not for these issues, I'd probably like them.

Reactions: arenpilav41
    Upvote 0

buckeye

Almost A Member
    Jan 7, 2008
    Florida
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    none
    Release Reels changed its name to Truth Reels. I don't know anything about Release Reels or why they changed the name but if you are familiar with Release Reels it might give you some insight to Truth Reels.

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
    Mar 28, 2013
    Encino, CA
    Name
    Pilav
    Boat
    No Boat
    I used to have the SG... It was a very very nice 20-30lb reel. Yes, they advertise a shitload of drag, but the reality is that when you get to over maybe 10-12 pounds of drag, the handle starts binding. Ive opened it up a few times, and messed up the screws every single time lol, i eventually had to request that they replace the screws with stainless steel ones. The handle is impossible to take off, so you can not see the pinion area or examine it. The reel reminds me a whole lot of an avet SX. The drag plate is about the same size, but mine was not glued down to the spool like my sx is. Also, when i got it back from their factory from service, these guys slathered the grease like no tomorrow all over the drag plate. Im not saying thats bad, but I guess thats how the manufacturer reccomends you fish them.

On another mote, they do have superior customer service... But it can add up. Theyre located in Virginia, so shipping to them costs you about 15$. If they have to change any parts for you, they will charge you for the parts but not for the labor. Then, you have to also pay for it to get shipped back. Thats why i departed from mine. Too much hassle for me. But if your ok with shipping it once a year to get beautified, you will not be dissappinted in this reel. Smooth, great freespool, tons of line capacity... Good deal!
    -Aren

Reactions: FlatPack and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    One of the only potential downsides I have heard is that there may/may not be some use of locktight--I know. So far, most of the people have commended the company for receiving and servicing them at a modest price. Here is one post from an Alaskan and the site with video of the SG (small game) in action: http://guidesak.blogspot.com/2015/09/review-of-truth-sg-reel-formerly-known.html
    Current specs on the reel are:
    SPECIFICATIONS
    • WEIGHT: 13.2 OZ
    • GEAR RATIO: 6:1
    • 34” PER CRANK
    • MAX DRAG: STRIKE 18#, Full 25#
    • CAPACITY: MONO 20# 275 YDS
    • CAPACITY: BRAID 50# 375 YDS
    • CERAMIC SPOOL BEARINGS
    • CARBON DRAG WASHER
    They have a limited life time warranty which I got to test. I absolutely abuse my gear more than I should. I love my Avet reels but after a while, even several nights of continued saltwater exposure they tend to seize up. The Release/Truth reels were MUCH more tolerant. Yet, after several years of heavy use and frankly abuse, there came a time where I had to send the reels in for repair and maintenance. They have a standard $25 fee to cover shipping and handling as well as the repairs. It was 100% my fault for the damage I had caused, yet they only charged me an extra $25 and I got back a reel that was as good as new. Given the components they replaced, I thought it was a SUPER good deal.
    The bottom line, ever since I started using my Release/Truth Sg reels I have yet to use my Avet reels. I highly recommend these reels! Quality appears to be very high and their service was outstanding.
    I used to have the SG... It was a very very nice 20-30lb reel. Yes, they advertise a shitload of drag, but the reality is that when you get to over maybe 10-12 pounds of drag, the handle starts binding. Ive opened it up a few times, and messed up the screws every single time lol, i eventually had to request that they replace the screws with stainless steel ones. The handle is impossible to take off, so you can not see the pinion area or examine it. The reel reminds me a whole lot of an avet SX. The drag plate is about the same size, but mine was not glued down to the spool like my sx is. Also, when i got it back from their factory from service, these guys slathered the grease like no tomorrow all over the drag plate. Im not saying thats bad, but I guess thats how the manufacturer reccomends you fish them.

On another mote, they do have superior customer service... But it can add up. Theyre located in Virginia, so shipping to them costs you about 15$. If they have to change any parts for you, they will charge you for the parts but not for the labor. Then, you have to also pay for it to get shipped back. Thats why i departed from mine. Too much hassle for me. But if your ok with shipping it once a year to get beautified, you will not be dissappinted in this reel. Smooth, great freespool, tons of line capacity... Good deal!
    -Aren
    Aren, I have to commend you for writing the most fair (both sides) of the deal that I have seen. Now that I own one (the Release LG) and have read a ton of posts---I must agree with you, on both the good/bad, thanks. I would only kick in--that for me, and for people like me, not being able to take it apart is OK--providing I don't NEED to have it taken apart much---or at all. That remains to be seen of course. Over the years, nearly every reel I have ever owned has not required much service--I've kept them clean, backed off the drag each and every time after use, and all I have ever needed to do was upgrade my drag system on a few of the reels with the new Cartontex washers. But this reel has such a smooth drag--and so damn strong--if it fishes great and holds up, I won't mind at all not being able to take it apart.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    wonder why the changed names ???????
    I gather it had something to do with copyright laws--the word "Release" already was in use somewhere for something or other. I think--don't know, but think Release may have been in reference to the absolute "release" in free spool of this fine reel. Mine free spools as good as any reel I have ever had.

Upvote 0

princefredo

May 23, 2010
    Lakewood, Ca
    Name
    alfredo
    Boat
    13” Whaler, 6DEUCE (my first ship CV-62)
    Yes Release was a fighting chair company. I just got my SG in the mail and can't wait to fish it.
    image.jpeg

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

Taxi

Nov 26, 2011
    Lacenter wa
    Name
    Tip
    Boat
    Roosterfish
    These reels are the bomb. Bought 4 of them for albacor this summer. We have been using Avet MXJ's. The Avet drag is not enough for the Tuna. The Truth SG have a much stronger drag. We bring home more fish each trip by landing them faster at each bait stop.

Upvote 0

DanTheFireman

Mar 15, 2016
    Palm Beach FL
    Name
    Dan Lubinsky
    Boat
    two bass boats
    Beautiful reels and made in the USA, I'm hoping mine is a fluke (not a flounder).My LG has less than 8 hours of use drifting and with nothing larger than 10 pounds caught the drag would intermittently go to almost no resistance and then catch. I thought it was me but the last trip out it did the same thing and made a loud screeching sound, leaving me to use an inexpensive backup rod, and that's the Truth.
    I now get a chance to try out their customer service, my new reel cost another 41 bucks for the return and fee, and I have a beautiful naked matching custom rod waiting for another chance. From what has been posted, I am sure they will make good, otherwise it will be a pretty paperweight.

Upvote 0