seaquinn

Time on the Water
Jul 17, 2008
San Diego / El Cajon
Name
Clif
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
I want to take my kids to some kelp paddies, if any action, and the Mex. License issue is a hassle. Any reports from local 9-mile bank area?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Albondiga

Jun 22, 2012
Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
www.youtube.com
Name
Andrew
Boat
Albondiga
Went and looked Saturday 6-23-2012. Lots of life; birds (terns, gulls, pelicans, cormorants, and shearwaters), dolphins, whales.

Water temp was between 64 and 65 degrees, with some nice solid current breaks. The warmer water was on the inside of the escarpment. The coldest water was out by the buoy (63.8).

I found very few kelp paddies, and the ones I saw had no game fish. They were loaded with YOY (baby) rockfish, and halfmoons. Lots of salps and other jellies around, and there were schools of baby jack macs that were cruising by.

One area had no kelp paddy, but there were birds working, so we hopped in. There were huge dense balls of krill. Swimming through those I saw that there were thousands of baby squid (about 4 inches) annihilating the krill from below, and pushing them up to the birds above. Quite a sight to see, but still no game fish.

We saw a huge mole cruising and one guy hopped in and rode it like a bull. He did not make it more than a few seconds.

Nice day to go out and take a look, but nada but cool videos to show for it.

Attachments

• Blue_Water.jpg
    Blue_Water.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Halfmoon.JPG
    Halfmoon.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Upvote 0

cjacobs

Almost A Member
Jun 20, 2008
Corona
Name
Chris
Boat
Tisha J
We trolled around there yesterday on way home from San Martin for nothing..The water was warm and blue.. We bought the mexican visas for $37 a pop, wont do that again. Was told nobody is checking them. We didnt see any Mexican officials on our 400+ mile trip. ID's and passports or birth certs should be brought. Good luck!!

Upvote 0

Albondiga

Jun 22, 2012
Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
www.youtube.com
Name
Andrew
Boat
Albondiga
My report was from the US side of the bank. Boat not insured in Mexico, so I wait for the fish to come to me to avoid the hassle.

Latest Tempbreak image is looking promising. Looks like it is getting hot all over on the 1-day composite image. The food was there, so the fish should head in as soon as the water is ready.

Upvote 0

Albondiga

Jun 22, 2012
Arroyo Grande/CA/USA
www.youtube.com
Name
Andrew
Boat
Albondiga
My video from Saturday's diving out there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrs0OopgTrI&list=UUugmTTdnC6PNI3IyAzbl3Ew&index=1&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrs0OopgTrI&list=UUugmTTdnC6PNI3IyAzbl3Ew&index=1&feature=plcp[/ame]

Upvote 0

Bane1

50T Captain
Mar 20, 2010
Dana Point
Name
Eric
Boat
32' Luhrs 'Mako-Wish'
Nice vid! Question though... not afraid of large toothy critters? I dive kelp beds, but have only been in the blue once to clear kelp from a through-hull.

Upvote 0

caddoctor

Feb 16, 2007
RAMONA
Name
MATT FORD
Boat
OCEANMASTER
The VISA THING is not a scam they are boarding people at times---I know this first hand they were making there rounds -boarded three boats next to us -we left before but confirmed by the other boaters-----the more of you that say its a joke the more itS pissing the mexican boys off-DONT YOU THINK THEY READ THIS--

Upvote 0

smassey1

Jun 9, 2006
Pacific Beach, San Diego CA
Name
Steve Massey
Boat
Blackjack 29' Mirage blackjackcharters.com/Wellcraft 250 Coastal "Mistress"
It is a scam
boat is coming out of San diego bay to check visas
people on boat will not present ID when asked
boat is not even registered
in order to get valid visa you need a passport and mex immigration official to stamp it.
not avail on scam boat
until the mex navy actually enforces it
which they are not
it is very obvious that Mx Tourist Assist is running a scam
If you are within 72 miles of boarder you don't need a visa i believe if staying for less than 3 days. NAFTA agreement

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
It is a scam
boat is coming out of San diego bay to check visas
people on boat will not present ID when asked
boat is not even registered
in order to get valid visa you need a passport and mex immigration official to stamp it.
not avail on scam boat
until the mex navy actually enforces it
which they are not
it is very obvious that Mx Tourist Assist is running a scam
If you are within 72 miles of boarder you don't need a visa i believe if staying for less than 3 days. NAFTA agreement

"I quote from the Visa Thread " see below........
<table border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="6" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td nowrap="nowrap"> Andrewdavis34
user_offline.gif

New Guy

Name: Andrew

Vessel: 170 Montauk

Job:Fixing people

</td> <td width="100%"> </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Hi all,

I have been doing been some research and fishermens landing is no longer selling the visas or requiring their passengers to have them. Call Dana Landing to inqure. I was told that the Mex Assist boat was apprehended off the coast of San Diego earlier this week, taken into customs and it was discovered that they were doing illegal business.

Now lets see what happens next...................:hali_olutta:

Last edited:
Upvote 0