Any Reason NOT To Bring 9' Surf Spinner on 3 Day?

2tuna

Feb 21, 2011
Salinas/CA/USA
Name
Craig H
Boat
le barge
After 40 odd years of thinking about it, I've signed up for my first overnight: Vagabond, July 5-8.

I'd like to bring my Okuma Nomad Travel 9' surf rod with an Azores 55 loaded with 30lb braid ( 20 lb mono topper) to be used as my light rig. Seems for smallish YT's it would be a hoot, and capable of some finesse flylining of small baits. Reading BD, it appears longer jigsticks are quite common so I gather the length would not be a problem in the racks. But as a supposed surf rod (I know, I know - 9' doesn't make the grade as a real surf rod), it does have a long butt and a relatively short foregrip.

Any problems with this? If not, why don't more folks use long spinners for lining anchovies, etc?

Reactions: Yella1

FishAcquisition

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 19, 2005
La Quinta
Name
Dan
Boat
Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
I would take for sure. Hate to be there and not have if the right situation presents itself. Always take it I say no matter what. That set up is no fun at home.

Plus you want to get all the use out of it before the ban on April 1st of Spinners.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I used to be arrogantly opposed to spinning gear for fish over about ten pounds. Sure, they are great for starting out kids, and getting hooked up to a five pound bonito by tossing a lure is a classic way to get a young person hooked on fishing. But a real fisherman moved on to conventional gear, and spent the time learning to cast "properly."

Then decades of life presented me with various issues that I had to learn to deal with. About ten years ago I developed both carpal tunnel issues and arthritis, and now after about an hour of gripping a conventional rod in my left hand my hand starts tingling, and in ten more minutes it goes numb.

So, to stay in the game, I researched spinning gear, and now when I go offshore I take six outfits: light, medium and heavy conventional outfits, and the same types of spinning outfits. When my hand starts tingling I rack the conventional gear and grab the appropriate type of spinning outfit, so that I can use my right hand and the now-numb left only has to move the handle. Adam is right, having the line on the top of the rod gives you more options in the fight. But I have found to my surprise that the fish doesn't know what gear you are using, and both spinning reels and rods can be very strong and capable of handling big fish and long fights. I haven't taken anything over a hundred pounds on spin gear yet, but I toss lures at breaking tuna with confidence knowing that whichever outfit I am using, the fish is the one who is going to lose the battle.

Take your Azores/Nomad combo and enjoy it! And welcome to the fraternity of "Overnight and Longer" fishermen!

InDeepShip

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2017
Ventura/Vallejo
Name
Adam
Boat
In My Dreams
I used to be arrogantly opposed to spinning gear for fish over about ten pounds. Sure, they are great for starting out kids, and getting hooked up to a five pound bonito by tossing a lure is a classic way to get a young person hooked on fishing. But a real fisherman moved on to conventional gear, and spent the time learning to cast "properly."

Then decades of life presented me with various issues that I had to learn to deal with. About ten years ago I developed both carpal tunnel issues and arthritis, and now after about an hour of gripping a conventional rod in my left hand my hand starts tingling, and in ten more minutes it goes numb.

So, to stay in the game, I researched spinning gear, and now when I go offshore I take six outfits: light, medium and heavy conventional outfits, and the same types of spinning outfits. When my hand starts tingling I rack the conventional gear and grab the appropriate type of spinning outfit, so that I can use my right hand and the now-numb left only has to move the handle. Adam is right, having the line on the top of the rod gives you more options in the fight. But I have found to my surprise that the fish doesn't know what gear you are using, and both spinning reels and rods can be very strong and capable of handling big fish and long fights. I haven't taken anything over a hundred pounds on spin gear yet, but I toss lures at breaking tuna with confidence knowing that whichever outfit I am using, the fish is the one who is going to lose the battle.

Take your Azores/Nomad combo and enjoy it! And welcome to the fraternity of "Overnight and Longer" fishermen!
Yea it doesn't hurt to bring it. Honestly I brought one of those little Barbie rods ones rockfishing and it was fun to mess around. Fishing is for most people supposed to be fun. If you have fun throwing that big spinning rod then bring it and do it

Yella1

So Fishy
Aug 24, 2017
San Diego, CA
Name
Jarrod
Boat
Pay to Play
Fishing is for most people supposed to be fun
Hell yes. You paid your money and you are there for fun. As long as your fun isn't messing anybody else up, I say definitely go for it. If you want, you can dangle an earthworm from a giant hook like in the cartoons. You gotta do you, bro.

Reactions: surfgoose

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
I regularly fish the sport boats with a 10' "West Coast Yellowtail Jig Stick" spinning rod made by Black Hole. This rod looks a lot like your typical surf caster, bust has the backbone to pull 20 lbs of drag. I use this to throw surface irons, poppers, and stick baits and have caught yellowtail to 25lbs and yellowfin to 40lbs without problem. I don't fish live bait on spinning gear, but there's no reason whatsoever why that would be a problem on your Vagabond trip.

In fact, that long rod will pitch the sardine out into the chum line farther than most conventionals and you'll probably the guy picked up first!

Reactions: surfgoose

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
I would take for sure. Hate to be there and not have if the right situation presents itself. Always take it I say no matter what. That set up is no fun at home.

Plus you want to get all the use out of it before the ban on April 1st of Spinners.
What chu talkn 'bout, April fool?

2tuna

Feb 21, 2011
Salinas/CA/USA
Name
Craig H
Boat
le barge
Love the replies. And yeah, worst case , gettin' spooled would be like robin-hooding an arrow. Fun the first time; a logarithmic decrease in fun every time after.

Don't wanna screw up anybody else's day though. Forcing them to drink beer while watching the newbie tie his noodle in a knot

But that's what my conventional outfits will be for.

Last edited:

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Ditch the mono and go straight braid with a shorter leader, 5-7 feet. You will be able to cast further than most and your bait will swim well with no mono to pull around. You can catch fish to 30lb or so with no real problem. Might take a while, but it will be fun. The deckhands always borrow my 8-10 foot inshore spinning rods on long range trips to catch fish to 25#. I personally take a 10' daiwa coastal rod with 20# braid (with 15' of 60# for casting), and I routinely cast a surface iron or a coltsniper over 100 yards. Its ridiculous. It comes in handy if the bluefin are going down before the boat gets close to them.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor

I crossed over to the "dark side" about three years ago.

Yolo

Outcasts
May 30, 2006
San Diego
www.sandiegofishingclub.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Relentless
Fun to catch Dorado on that type of outfit. Just reel in nice and slow...perfect for small tuna. i always bring one.

FishAcquisition

Sep 19, 2005
La Quinta
Name
Dan
Boat
Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations

Yes, that is why the IFGA is Banning them 4/1/2019 due to the cruelty to fish as they suffer longer on Spinning Gear and the users of spinning gear are generally less skilled than users of conventional gear, hence the ban.

ripped

Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Since this your first trip on the Vagabond be aware you have 3 assigned rod spots. Everything else needs to go forward or on top. Your 9 footer will have to go upstairs to fit upright. I'd store it soon after boarding to ensure a safe spot for it. Have a fun trip and let us know how your trip goes. I'm with Mike at the end of July.

Reactions: MAG0121 and 2tuna