Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    I love my JX6.0 as a 50# wahoo bomb reel - however, after frying the pinion bearing with too stiff of a drag setting, I'm swapping it out for a G2. There are better options out there for a 40# bait reel, and 50# is just too much for the (non-Raptor) JX. The 4.8 JX worked well for years as a yo-yo reel, but I've also replaced it with one of the limited release 4.2 ratio HXJ's.

The first gen Avet's are among the most reliable and easiest lever drag reels to service, and last a lifetime if you fish them within their design limitations. Nowadays, everybody tries to get higher drag settings out of smaller reels, which often exceeds the Gen 1 capabilities...

If I were considering an Avet single speed today, I wouldn't look at anything but the Gen 2's - well worth the extra few $$$'s IMO. And if you needed 2-speed, step up to the Raptor...
    Always liked the idea of the "Alaska Special" single speed Hxj. Wish they would produce a few g2 versions.

Reactions: SoCalEDC
    Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Rail is for endgame....up and down.

No kidding, huh? :rolleyes:

I think you and I are saying the same thing. I'm not laying the rod on the rail when the fish is up high and away from the boat. Tough to load up the rod that way... In either case, I'm not pulling with just my arms or fighting with a drag less than 20 lbs, which was the point of my post.

A dedicated 60 lb reel needs to be able to produce more than 15 lbs of drag at strike, and a 6:1 gear ratio is going to suck at the endgame anyway, so a gen1 JX 6.0 is not the correct reel for 60 lb. But the OP already knew it before he posted and corrected his mistake...

Upvote 0

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Thought I would update everyone. I took the JX back and paid a bit more for the 40NLD2, rather than taking the 80#pp off of the JX, the associate said it wasnt a big deal and he could sell the reel all spooled up so I returned that too. I filled the Fathom with about 465yds of 80# Threadlock, I think I could have got a bit more on there but maybe the drag wasn't tight enough when spooling. I am satisfied that I have the reel I need now, and should be able to bump up and fish for anything except a swordfish or cow bft in our "local" waters.

Thanks for the input everyone

Edit: I think for hollowcore what I got was actually higher than advertised. The Seaguar spec is .47mm dia. for 80# Threadlock (~equivilant mono diameter is 30#, while solid core braid is .40mm), per Penn specs the reel hold 410 yds of 30. Sounds like I got 55 more yd's on it so perhaps the drag during spooling was tight enough to compress the string after all.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Larry S and OnoEric
    Upvote 0

Larry S

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Thought I would update everyone. I took the JX back and paid a bit more for the 40NLD2, rather than taking the 80#pp off of the JX, the associate said it wasnt a big deal and he could sell the reel all spooled up so I returned that too. I filled the Fathom with about 465yds of 80# Threadlock, I think I could have got a bit more on there but maybe the drag wasn't tight enough when spooling. I am satisfied that I have the reel I need now, and should be able to bump up and fish for anything except a swordfish or cow bft in our "local" waters.

Thank you for the tip, on an #80lb reel!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen

Edit: I think for hollowcore what I got was actually higher than advertised. The Seaguar spec is .47mm dia. for 80# Threadlock (~equivilant mono diameter is 30#, while solid core braid is .40mm), per Penn specs the reel hold 410 yds of 30. Sounds like I got 55 more yd's on it so perhaps the drag during spooling was tight enough to compress the string after all.
    Seems your original post is about wanting more drag than 15/20. I have a Fathom40NLD. When I was researching (on this site) whether or not it would be okay if I hooked a cow bluefin, I learned that the reel really isn't anywhere near its stated drag capacity of 25/40 without losing freespool. It was suggested that 17-18 at strike would be the max while keeping full freespool. My solution was to keep the reel and get a cow capable reel, too.

Quote from Tunanorth in a PM exchange we had (regarding Fathom60, but same drag parameters):

"He (Mike Lackey on the Vagabond) sets them up at 15-17 pounds at Strike, which gives 22-23 at Full, and 26-27 at Sunset, which are excellent operating parameters for this reel."

Just a head's up as I was a little miffed to learn the 25/40 spec for the reel isn't a reality.

Upvote 0

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Seems your original post is about wanting more drag than 15/20. I have a Fathom40NLD. When I was researching (on this site) whether or not it would be okay if I hooked a cow bluefin, I learned that the reel really isn't anywhere near its stated drag capacity of 25/40 without losing freespool. It was suggested that 17-18 at strike would be the max while keeping full freespool. My solution was to keep the reel and get a cow capable reel, too.

Quote from Tunanorth in a PM exchange we had (regarding Fathom60, but same drag parameters):

"He (Mike Lackey on the Vagabond) sets them up at 15-17 pounds at Strike, which gives 22-23 at Full, and 26-27 at Sunset, which are excellent operating parameters for this reel."

Just a head's up as I was a little miffed to learn the 25/40 spec for the reel isn't a reality.
    Thanks, I am going to use a spring scale and set the drag tonight and see how it feels. That is certainly annoying that they market the reel at 40# max. I could be mistaken but on my 25nld2 I treat the "full" marker as strike and the "sunset" marker as full. the sunset is a marketting move imo.

Upvote 0

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover

Thank for the new info!

Upvote 0

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    Thanks, I am going to use a spring scale and set the drag tonight and see how it feels. That is certainly annoying that they market the reel at 40# max. I could be mistaken but on my 25nld2 I treat the "full" marker as strike and the "sunset" marker as full. the sunset is a marketting move imo.
    Please post here what you get. I never worried about it with mine, I just bought an old Penn International 30 from Cal Sheets and it spins like a top with strike set at 30#s. Wanted to handle a cow BF i I hooked into one. Will use the Fathom for up to 60# line...

Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can

Sounds like you are ready to go. Also I never take the manufacturer's stated line capacity for 100% fact. Even on my small baitcasters.

Upvote 0

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Sounds like you are ready to go. Also I never take the manufacturer's stated line capacity for 100% fact. Even on my small baitcasters.
    Yea, I have noticed the same thing. I have 300yds of 40 or 50 on all of my 400 sized bait casters and I don't think any of them claim to hold that much of either sized line but they all do.

Upvote 0

John McKroid

Apr 24, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale
    Name
    John McKroid
    Boat
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    I hope the FTH40NLD2 works out well for you. Penn reels were the reliable staple back in the 80's. Three decades later, I have been disappointed with every Penn I have purchased, just not the same level of dependability that other brands offer today. In SE Florida Avet LX 6.0 are a very common sailfish reel. I can pick them up used (in bulk) for $150/each, and they have been a dependable(except the clickers), ergonomic reel for kayak fishing. For lines above 40lb, I prefer Raptors. I sometimes use an HX Raptor with 100lb braid to pull Amberjacks off the wrecks. Avet makes some great reels.

Reactions: Noms and Larry S
    Upvote 0

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    I hope the FTH40NLD2 works out well for you. Penn reels were the reliable staple back in the 80's. Three decades later, I have been disappointed with every Penn I have purchased, just not the same level of dependability that other brands offer today. In SE Florida Avet LX 6.0 are a very common sailfish reel. I can pick them up used (in bulk) for $150/each, and they have been a dependable(except the clickers), ergonomic reel for kayak fishing. For lines above 40lb, I prefer Raptors. I sometimes use an HX Raptor with 100lb braid to pull Amberjacks off the wrecks. Avet makes some great reels.
    Yea I agree I like Avets quite a bit. I have 3 of them and may pull the trigger on a big game reel for this summer (a ex30w or 50 in 2 speed), and I would have loved the raptor but it was about 2x the price of the penn and offers only slightly performance benefits, plus I was able to get 465 yards of 80# threadlock on the penn, I think I would have got maybe 330 of that on the JX. I'm in no way bashing Avet here.

Upvote 0

SoCalEDC

Almost A Member
  • Apr 9, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Name
    AE
    Boat
    Fisha 500
    Side update. Wanted something to handle the bigger fish out there so I picked up an avet HXW 5/2 Raptor at the SD Tackle Traders sale this morning. Should have all my bases covered for our waters.

Reactions: Larry S
    Upvote 0

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Side update. Wanted something to handle the bigger fish out there so I picked up an avet HXW 5/2 Raptor at the SD Tackle Traders sale this morning. Should have all my bases covered for our waters.
    Nice!

Upvote 0