Any old guys remember her?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Tar Pit, May 14, 2019.

1. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Miss the boat. Did my first 10 dayers on there in 1998, bought the trip from someone on Allcoast who did website work for the Q. Captain Brian Simms, Armando, Tommy, Cal.

We went first to Alijos rocks and fished YFT. Using a Tiburon framed TLD 20II on a Calstar 765XL. Everyone back then was saying the 765XL was the perfect 40lbs rod and maybe 40lbs for YT. Hooked into a 120 lbs YFT and got my ass worked. I didn't know how to use the rail and fought the fish stand up. After about 30 minutes, Capt Brian asks me if my back was gone. :D Long story short, He taught me to use the rail and helped me finish the JP fish off.

Then we went to the ridge and we came across a football field of dorados and under the dorados were wahoo. I've never seen the ocean turn green and other colors of the Dorado. I got my first two wahoos on the trip on bombs. Back then, Brian wanted everyone to fish bomb only as the wahoo would swallow it whole and have a better hookup ratio. During the seminar, throw the bomb out and let it sink to a count of 30 and wind as fast as you can.

Then we went to the coast and fished for YT and we were all using 40lbs and then those lines would snap like twigs. We hit a school of broom tail groups and some were like 100 lbs+. We all switched to the heavier lines and I got one about 50 lbs. Best tasting fish ever.

Finished up the trip fishing for sand bass and I was unhooking my own fish and Captain Brian comes over and tells me that this isn't a half day boat and unhooks my fish. Talk about LR style fishing.

I fish the Q and meet my good friends there like Jeff Liu, Alan, Bryce and some others. I fished the boat until it had issues and was listing to one side at docks. I remember seeing the Q that way and it was a very sad day. JL and I moved to the Shogun and fished her until Norm and Bruce left and then we fished the Intrepid the first year and then we moved to the Indy.

The Q got me hooked on this LR fishing.

hagridfish, Bubba, Brad I and 3 others like this.
  2. 1steveT

1steveT Member

Name:
    Steve T.
    Boat:
    soon2B
    YUP. Danny.
    I still have that recipe.
    Pretty simple.
    Sliced onion, mayonaise, parmesian cheese, chopped dill.
    Mix the mayo and parmesian in a bowl with spices to taste, lay a bed of sliced onion down in a baking dish, put Wahoo fillets on top of onions, cover with the mayo/cheese mixture, place in 350 degree oven covered with foil for half hour, then last 5 minutes or so take foil off to brown.
    Serve with avocado and tomato slices with a dollop of sour cream on top.
    Unfortunately, Danny had a bit of a problem with the hooch, but one hell of a good chef.

BTW, in response to the wahoo under the dodo thing.
    We pulled up to a paddy on the ridge with the same deal going on, stoooopid amount of dorado, every one was in a clusterfuck on the stern, I wanted no part, so I just stepped back to watch the yard sale.
    Jeff Debouy (sp?) poked his head out the window and told me to go get my bomb rig and head up to the bow and sink it out a hundred or so feet.
    Nobody up there. Sweet!
    First drop and Wham! Fucker ran a hundred miles an hour to the back where the shitshow was going on, I was screaming "hot one, coming through!".
    Everyone was going WTF!
    After about 5 minutes a #72 skinny comes to gaff.
    I went back to the bow and after 2 more casts I'm back on again, this time a #68.
    I went one more time to the bow and there were at least 10 guys throwing bombs. No more hoo's for you, they sunk out and no more were caught.
    I've got sooo many great stories from that rig, miss her dearly.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Thanks, I remember the hooch problem. I think the food he served was better when cooked under the influence.

4. konared

konared Member

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I worked on the "Miss L" in 1974 in the slip next to the Qualifier. A friend of mine worked on there with Garry Black and Bobby Allen. It still ran day trips then. I fished on it a few times that year.
    Also ran into that cook Danny years later on a union merchant ship, still crazy.

5. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I’ll tell you what I know about Bolsa. One day, Sam was apparently having a tough time putting his anglers on the fish, on the radio, speaking with another captain, he said he felt like he was fishing with his head in a bag.

What about Bacon? How did he earn his nickname? I only fished with him one time. A 5 day on the Angler, last season that Don Sansome owned the boat, the year before he sold it to Sam and Brian.

solid72 likes this.
  6. OIF VET

OIF VET Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    nope
    Where is John klein now? Last I heard he was going over to the spirit of adventure? Don’t know if that was just a rumor or not.

7. 1steveT

1steveT Member

Name:
    Steve T.
    Boat:
    soon2B
    Jimmy (Bacon), great guy and a hell of a lot of fun to fish with.
    He put me on the biggest yellowtail I ever caught at Chester's one AM (BTW, my first LR on the Q).
    I had this big ass T540 Calstar 10' jig stick with a Newell 338-5 spooled with #30.
    He was on the bait tank chumming and could see some big ass YT's busting on the chum too far back for a lot of the guys throwing shorter rods.
    He looked at me and handed a good sized mac and said, "get that fucker out beyond where everyone else was casting."
    I did.
    Boooom!
    Hooked up. BTW... it was 5:30 am and I was nursing a 'bit of a hangover. After 30+ minutes and a bunch of trap line crap, he gaffed my fish. A #50 brute. Absolutely worked me.
    Last I heard, on this site, Mr, Bacon is running tugs out of LA.
    Jimmy loved a place here in SB called La Superica.
    A couple of times I brought a small playmate with 2 #16's down to Cabo on some fly-downs to the Revilla's on the plane down to him. Never saw someone so happy. He would stop whatever he was doing and chow down.
    Got lots more if 'yall want to hear.
    Jimmy, if you're still lurking, some of the best fishing times I've ever had.
    Cheers big ears!

solid72 likes this.
  8. solid72

solid72 "Fishhard"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Some day. I'll hustle to fish on yours.
    Jim is still running tugs and I heard a rumor that’s where Sam Patella went on to now, again just what a shop manager who knows Bacon told me.

middleofnowhere and HK Fwik like this.
  9. reellady

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    I heard John was commericial fishing, but don't know for sure.

10. 1steveT

1steveT Member

Name:
    Steve T.
    Boat:
    soon2B
    OK, no one bit.
    If you looked closely at the YFT's eye, Chuck very cleverly painted the reflection of the flying fish it was chasing in it.
    It was fun asking guests that haven't been on the boat, or even guys that had been fishing her for years, "how many flying fish do you see in this picture?"
    It always got a "whoa, that's bitchen" response.
    Chuck was a very talented artist, right up there with Guy Harvey.

solid72 and ZZZZZ like this.
  11. reellady

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Anybody remember Paul the chef back in the early 80's?

12. broton

broton Member

Name:
    KC
    Boat:
    23 Cobra Performance
    The Q105 is was a great boat. But IMO the worst long range crew in the fleet. Bacon was an A-hole, the rest of the crew was blah. My first and last trip on that boat was in ‘97, later in the year, I got on the AA and have not looked back. There is one thing you can control on a boat, and it is not fishing. The boats that i go on, get that and have personable professional deck hands.

13. Luke

Luke Uses alot of bait!

Name:
    Luke
    Boat:
    none
    Bruce Barnes had a number of boats and part of the name included “Qualifier.” The Qualifer 105 was the last and the largest. The first Qualifer was a 65’ Ditmar and my dad put the first Albacore on the deck on her maiden run. She was renamed the Fiesta and had an unfortunate ending. I always thought the name Qualifier was tied to qualifying for the famous San Diego Yellowtail Derby, I could be wrong. The Qualifier 105 was first an overnight boat that would take up to a 100 anglers Albacore fishing. I never fished it as an overnight boat but remember seeing it fishing Albacore with anglers all around the entire boat. I can only image the tangles. Later it was modified for long range fishing and the rest is history. She was a great fishing platform and helped to proved aluminum boats got bit.

Bubba and Tim Turis like this.
  14. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    Q105.jpg Q!105.jpg

Bubba, solid72, Tim Turis and 2 others like this.
  15. reellady

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    Armando must be in the crow's nest

moorefish likes this.
  16. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    Talking about Armando. I remember on one trip, he was on the deck and a new guy was on the bait tank and the new guy threw bait and splashed water and scale all over Armando's sunglasses. Armando had a bit of a temper and threw his sunglasses on the deck, stomped on it and then threw it overboard while giving the new guy the dirtiest look. LOL