Any news from Yakutat?

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Headed up in 2 weeks for 10 days, just wondering how the Silver run is going.
I know I can contact the fly shop, but, I like to hear from you guys from BD's.
We'll be going out on the Sea Raven for a couple of days for the usual suspects.
One of you guys from Huntington Beach have replied in the past that seems to have up-to-date info.
Can't wait! This will be my 5th year, god, I love it up there!

Cheers!

CaptJgray

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Halibut and Ling fishing has been really good this year. Silvers are showing in the rivers and also fish in the salt.

when are you going? I will be back up on the 5th.

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Halibut and Ling fishing has been really good this year. Silvers are showing in the rivers and also fish in the salt.

when are you going? I will be back up on the 5th.
Thanks for the info! We'll be there Aug. 29th through Sept. 8th.
2 of the guys I usually go up with are out this year (one lucky to be alive, he fell 45 feet off a trail in Norcal going surf fishing, broke a bunch of shit, his foot the worse.) so my buddy and I are looking for 1 or 2 guys to share the Sea Raven Charter we have for a couple of days.
We'll probably be fishing the Situk and Lost most of the time unless they are blown out. in which case we always have the bridge to fall back on.

Thanks again.

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Steve,
I will be there starting the 5th, As of right now we have room on the boat on then 7th and 8th. If you would like to join us either of those days let me know.
We are gonna fish the skiff on the 6th and probably fish the river the evening of the 5th. We may fish the river after we fish the salt the other days as well so please keep me posted on what you are seeing.

Surprisingly still a fair number of Reds in the river though they are starting to turn quickly. Lots of pinks all throughout and the silvers are building by the day.

If you guys want to rent a skiff and fish the salt you should give my buddy a call. As long as you have somewhat of a clue it can be pretty fun. start by fishing silvers and then drift or anchor and catch Lints, Blacks, and of course Halibut. Its way cheaper than doing a charter, and as long as you know how to handle big fish safely it can be very rewarding. plus you don't have the 1 fish limit...

We may have room on the skiff on the 6th if you are interested. If its good we will probably fish until around 1, come in eat lunch, re-group and then head back out for the evening, weather and fish permitting...

shoot me an email or give me a call
[email protected]

Jeff

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
As far as fishing from the bridge, Have you ever walked down and fished above or below it? not sure of your physical abilities but it is wayyyyyy more fun...

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Thanks for the info! We'll be there Aug. 29th through Sept. 8th.
2 of the guys I usually go up with are out this year (one lucky to be alive, he fell 45 feet off a trail in Norcal going surf fishing, broke a bunch of shit, his foot the worse.) so my buddy and I are looking for 1 or 2 guys to share the Sea Raven Charter we have for a couple of days.
We'll probably be fishing the Situk and Lost most of the time unless they are blown out. in which case we always have the bridge to fall back on.

Thanks again.
Did the perch bite at least???

Have you ever fished surf perch up there? its pretty amazing!

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Steve,
I will be there starting the 5th, As of right now we have room on the boat on then 7th and 8th. If you would like to join us either of those days let me know.
We are gonna fish the skiff on the 6th and probably fish the river the evening of the 5th. We may fish the river after we fish the salt the other days as well so please keep me posted on what you are seeing.

Surprisingly still a fair number of Reds in the river though they are starting to turn quickly. Lots of pinks all throughout and the silvers are building by the day.

If you guys want to rent a skiff and fish the salt you should give my buddy a call. As long as you have somewhat of a clue it can be pretty fun. start by fishing silvers and then drift or anchor and catch Lints, Blacks, and of course Halibut. Its way cheaper than doing a charter, and as long as you know how to handle big fish safely it can be very rewarding. plus you don't have the 1 fish limit...

We may have room on the skiff on the 6th if you are interested. If its good we will probably fish until around 1, come in eat lunch, re-group and then head back out for the evening, weather and fish permitting...

shoot me an email or give me a call
[email protected]

Jeff
Thanks for that Jeff!
The guy I go with has been going up there for 26 years now and we've done the skiff deal quite a few times and done well on the silvers, I have yet to get a halibut but Bob has gotten 'em.
Maybe we should hook up one day on the Situk after you get there.
A lot of what happens (and you know this) is weather and rainfall dependent, we've had a few trips where the Situk was out of the question, for some reason it rains big-time the day or 2 before we get there and the river blows out.
I'll have to try the Surf perch thing, who'd of known? Where do you go? out to Cannons?
We stay at the Mooring Inn every year and get a suburban from Leo (we like the self-guided deal)
I'll shoot you an email before we leave.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I should have specified... BIG halibut are biting....
How big of Halibut?? Whats the average size of the halibut?? Do you have any idea how far their traveling for the big halibut? Thank you

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
How big of Halibut?? Whats the average size of the halibut?? Do you have any idea how far their traveling for the big halibut? Thank you
I'll chime in.
The fish I've gotten over the past 5 years range from slot size (28") up to my biggest #160 and everything in between. If I had to guess an average, Maybe #40-#60.
Don't know what's going on right now, guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.
My buddy has gotten 'em over #180 but we tend to release those now days.
The fish are as close as the inner islands to the mouth of the bay all the way over to the other side of Yak Bay (around 15-20 miles) and lots of high spots in the middle.

Reactions: kevina

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
This has been a year of a lot of very consistent above average fish. not saying they are all guaranteed barn doors but... last week my buddy had a trip where the little one was 130, big one went 234 that day. but one of the guys got spooled... backup rig was clipped in and the guy just couldn't let go... that's only fishing 120-140' of water too...

and its a close run. One of the main areas I fish in the skiff is about 20 minutes from the harbor.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
This has been a year of a lot of very consistent above average fish. not saying they are all guaranteed barn doors but... last week my buddy had a trip where the little one was 130, big one went 234 that day. but one of the guys got spooled... backup rig was clipped in and the guy just couldn't let go... that's only fishing 120-140' of water too...

and its a close run. One of the main areas I fish in the skiff is about 20 minutes from the harbor.
Thanks for the Info.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport

I'll chime in.
The fish I've gotten over the past 5 years range from slot size (28") up to my biggest #160 and everything in between. If I had to guess an average, Maybe #40-#60.
Don't know what's going on right now, guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.
My buddy has gotten 'em over #180 but we tend to release those now days.
The fish are as close as the inner islands to the mouth of the bay all the way over to the other side of Yak Bay (around 15-20 miles) and lots of high spots in the middle.
Thank you

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Did the perch bite at least???

Have you ever fished surf perch up there? its pretty amazing!

Are you actually catching surf perch in Yakutat? Used to fish them all the time in Oregon but never even seen one in Alaska. Would love to catch some. Any details would be appreciated.

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
absolutely

small swim baits around the old Coast Guard station out past the cemetery. best bites I've had were around the rock outcroppings.

Reactions: FishRock

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Hey Capt. Gray, how was your trip?
Tried to contact you but unfortunately, Yak only serves AT&T customers (We have Verizon) anyway, we caught all we needed and then some. Halibut. Ling, Blacks and Cojos.
Got to fish the backwaters of the Ankau the last 2 days, it was wide open, haven't been back there before, really pretty area.
The weather was unbelievable for our time there but the level of the Situk is a little bothering, A few good dumps should fix that.

Reactions: One_Leg

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Hey Steve,
our trip was fantastic. Weather was almost too nice. Had to work harder than normal to get the halibut to build on us at anchor, but once they did it was game on. We ended up with 12 over 100 and 6 in the 60-90 pound range. a couple huge Lings and of course plenty of 30-40 pounders. limits of Yellow Eye, only about 30 Coho though. but we really didn't fish them much. we had one day where we sight fished them on the anchor while fishing Halibut that was pretty good. really nice fish too. We didn't fish any of the rivers at all.

Sounds like the weather has been up every day since we left, but it also sounds like Coho fishing got really good. I prefer good weather to Salmon anyway...
Yak 1.jpg
yak 2.jpg
yak 3.jpg

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

1steveT

Nov 22, 2010
Carp, CA, USA
Name
Steve T.
Boat
soon2B
Outstanding, glad you got 'em!
All our Silvers came off the Situk and Ankau, not too many on the ocean while we were there.
The gals had a blast (their first time) and are going back next year.