Any Long Rangers who Fished Frontier Lodge in Sitka?

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by sierraed, Jan 18, 2017.

1. sierraed

sierraed Long rods and big boats

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Royal Polaris and Intrepid
    I'm planning a mid August trip with my wife to fish Silver Salmon in Sitka this year. I'd love to hear from any long Rangers who've fished the Frontier lodge or fished silver salmon in Sitka. I've never fished Sitka so any information on the timing or what to expect at the lodge is appreciated. And yes I will leave the long rods and surface jigs at home for this trip. :p:

Thanks,

Ed

2. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    Ed, May also want to check the Alaska forum, may be some good gouge there to. Should have known better...you had already done that! Disregard!

3. CV-Wayne

CV-Wayne Newbie

Name:
    Wayne Feagley
    Boat:
    Independence, Excel, Royal Star
    Hi Ed,
    I fished Sitka twice, most recently about 9 years ago. Both times I fished with Kingfisher Charters. My experience both times was excellent on accommodations and the fishing. Back then they provided an option to stay at the Sitka hotel in town rather than the lodge a couple miles out of town. They provided meal coupons for local restaurants when staying at the hotel. I enjoyed this option as it allowed me to meet some locals in the bar at night. I don't know if that Sitka Hotel accommodations option is still available through Kingfisher.

sierraed likes this.
  4. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Have no experience with these folks but they look well established and ready to provide a full service experience. Sitka is one of the best fishing spots in the state with lots of options once you hit the water. If this is the sort of experience you are looking for then you should have fun. The timing is OK but not prime for anything in particular. But since there is a variety of fish around you should be able to stay busy. If you have never been to AK then you will have fun no matter what.

If you are a hardcore angler looking to kill lots of big fish then you need to talk with all the charter operators in the area and see who is focused on killing fish for their clients. Sorry I don't have more specific info.

Their web page gives a good overview with regard to timing. http://frontiercharters.com/faq/

sierraed likes this.
  5. mowitlow

mowitlow Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    21 ft. Mastercraft
    i fished frontier out of sitka with my dad and bud 3 yrs ago.
    we went up in august and had a blast!
    it was my first and only trip to sitka so i cant really compare it to other lodges.
    we really enjoyed ourselves tho!
    lodge and guides were great!
    we caught halibut,black bass,and silvers.
    no complaints!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    sierraed likes this.
  6. sierraed

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Really good insight and I'm glad that you had such a great trip. Long-range fishing folks generally have high service expectations so your insights and comments are sincerely appreciated.

7. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Unless you are fixed on Sitka, I'd check out Elfin Cove as well. Tanaku Lodge is absolutely first rate and they catch lots of fish too. You should know that the state is in the midst of a king salmon drought...

sierraed likes this.
  8. sierraed

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Thank you for the insight, I was not aware of the king salmon drought. I may have to just focus on Silvers.

9. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Silvers haven't been great the last couple years but they are definitely around. I'd go in August if I wanted to target silvers.

10. Hossdave

Hossdave Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    World Cat
    I've been to Sitka once and many other places in Alaska. One positive is that Sitka is a very nice town with some shopping and sights. Might be good for your wife. We were there in August several years ago and the silver fishing was just ok. Im sure it varies by season.

Before you decide, make sure to familiarize yourself with the regulations, which vary by region. Southeast Alaska, including Sitka, is the most restrictive I think, at least with regard to halibut. With the slot limit you can only keep one halibut per day below about 36 pounds or one over about 250. Maybe you don't care about halibut but that is the primary species for many. We couldn't keep ling cod when I was there.

I've had good experiences at www.highlinerlodge.com , www.icybaylodge.com , and www.crackerjackcharters.com . None are cheap but good quality boats, equipment, lodge, etc.

Good luck.

sierraed likes this.
  11. Cubeye

Cubeye I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kub
    Boat:
    17' Gregor
    I have a friend who fished Kingfisher Charters once. Next year they fished with Frontier. They never went back to Kingfisher Charters. It had something to do with the size of halibut that they were catching at the first lodge.

12. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    My husband went, service excellent 5 star, fishing was ok but salmon very small.

13. sierraed

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Elfin looks beautiful.

14. Tim Turis

Tim Turis Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tim Turis
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hi Ed:

I can vouch for Outbound Alaska Charters in Sitka; they are great people (and fisherman) and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

I've not fished Silvers with them (only Kings), but I've got friends who've fished with them every August for the last 10+ years and their stories always make me wish that I had gone...

Great operation and I recommend them highly!

http://www.outboundalaskacharters.com

I hope you're doing well my friend!

sierraed likes this.
  15. waldocod

waldocod Member

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Legend
    I was in Sitka last August. The silvers were big and fat. The first day was flat calm and were able to get to the hot area. The next few days were windy but we filled in the count with lots of rockfish, lingcod and halibut. The lingcod slot is tough but we managed limits, which is not very common.The halibut slot is also tough but we did manage limits. Our guide kept us out well past our return time.
    We had to move quite a bit when all we caught we're Yelloweye as the limits are really restricted. The halibut fishing was slow with slack current but when that started moving, it was like ringing the dinner bell.

16. terryc.

terryc. Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    20 ft. Marlin cc
    I've been to Elfin it certainly is beautiful take into consideration you have to float plane in and out it's a pretty cool place I was there in July 2015 the Kings are thinning out about that time silvers still around short boat ride to fishing grounds for both Salmon and Halibut.

17. AKSalmon

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Elfin Cove is spectacularly beautiful. The town has, I believe, 26 year round residents -- many more in the summer with lodges and fishermen of course. The town has exactly one bar and one store. But the lodges are fully equipped with alcohol and pretty much anything else you need. Personally, I'd rather fish Elfin but there is something to say about being in a "city" the size of Sitka. It has a half dozen restaurants and at least two are pretty good.

18. sierraed

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Thank you Tim. Think I'll take my wife to Sitka in mid August for 4 days of fishing. There is a floatplane option for trout that sounds like much fun. John and I are on the RP 7/7 this year. Hope 2017 is a good one for you Tim.

19. sierraed

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    A friend had Elfin Cove as a client so I expect to go their in 2018. Looks beautiful.

20. Halfprice

Halfprice Member

Name:
    Jerry
    Boat:
    Independence
    I fished Kingfisher about 5 years ago. Great service great fishing. To many boats for me. There are lots of charter services in Sitka. We were trolling in between boats. I'm going back to Alaska this year in July but going to Pybus Point Lodge. Fly to Juneau then get float plane to Admiralty Island, 50 minute flight. They are the only lodge on the island and in the area. I prefer the less crowded fishing grounds.

Have fun on your trip

Jerry

sierraed likes this.