Any lobster recommendations for Oceanside area?

"Shoe"

Boats and Camaros (and fishing in between)
Jun 26, 2017
Fallbrook, CA
Name
Jeff Schumacher
Boat
20' Skipjack open, 30’ flybridge
Are there any lobster spots around Oceanside harbor? This year I want to keep it simple for the opener.

Last year we towed the little boat to Mission Bay with great plans and high hopes. Being stupid that day I just visited as we motored out and failed to notice I was overheating...until we reached open water. I immediately shut her down and flagged down another boat that towed us just inside the jetty. I threw the hook to determine the cause, and decided not to risk engine damage so we just parked right there and enjoyed the weather. At nightfall we threw 5 pots around the boat and set up a rig to haul them without moving the boat. Though we only landed 4 legals we had a ton of action so it was better than being stranded in open water in the dark. I forget the time, but somewhere in the middle of the night we called BoatUS and got towed back in shame. Not a bad night for a total fail, but this year I’m looking for better results, on the other boat.

Shoe

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Lobster are like roaches!
They live in rocks all over the coast... The depth is dependent on what they like at the time. Find 1 and they will all be close.
Learn how the current affects your presentation into their house before they crawl out looking for food... And you won't be in the fray with a hundred other idiots!

Reactions: "Shoe"

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
OS breakwater is a decent spot, anywhere with rocks. The lesser known structure gets hit less, artificial reefs, wrecks, etc. structure that’s visible gets hit harder and quicker like breakwalls and kelp beds.

Reactions: "Shoe"