Any Lake Mojave Cottonwood cove advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by spear-fish, Jul 11, 2009.

1. spear-fish

spear-fish Something smells fishey

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    77 Skippy 20 Open OB Spear-Fish III
    Would like to fish for stripers on Lake Mojave Cottonwood cove area while on vacation the end of August. Does anyone have any advice as far as baits, depth, fishing main lake vs fishing coves? I would appreciate any tips as I am more of a saltwater guy. I have fished Silverwood for stripers with anchovies but that is a pretty small area compaired to Mojave.:notworthy

2. Afry

Afry Capitán

Name:
    Arnie
    Boat:
    38 Mediterranean, 23 Key West
    All I know is that it's illegal to fish off the gas dock. Oh, and don't let your friends little girl try and hit the carp with a baseball bat - sometimes she gets lucky.

I don't know crap about fishing those stripers but we did slow troll small minnow type lures and slayed the stripers in the coves just after sun up. In the shallows near cover in the heat of summer.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  3. socalkid

socalkid Newbie

Name:
    socalkid
    Boat:
    Looking
    Hello,

Fish big plugs and swimbaits around deep drop offs. If that isnt working down size to 4-6" swimbaits in the same area. If thats not working go into the shallow coves right after sunrise and sunset and try working slugos with no weight on a 5/0 offset hook, make sure you glue them onto the hook. If all else fails cut bait will always catch something. I dont troll much but crocadils down 20-40' works. If your feeling lucky throw big topwater! BIG BAIT= BIG FISH!

Oh and a good rod and reel setup is a Calcutta 400 with 20lbs mono and a 8' trigger stick. Anything you fish Calicos with would work.

Goodluck,

Chris

4. spear-fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Thanks for the quick replys. Gives me a starting point. Any particular color/type of swim baits?
    Thanks.

5. moto110

moto110 TEAM B-SQUAD

Name:
    Kevin Jansen
    Boat:
    17cc B-Squad
    rainbow trout color from what i hear up there. If worse comes to worse soak a piece of chovie on a dropper loop rig. Worked for me every time i tried it.

6. 1:11

1:11 WMDcustoms

Name:
    Boat:
    Try the big lures if you want, but that time of year at cottonwood id try to get down in the lake and fish cut chovy and chum like a mad man. 10# flouro size 1/0 owner wide gap hook, bb swivel, 1/2 oz egg. Good chance of finding some biters with this set up.

7. Tailwhipped

Tailwhipped AMS

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    ABSOLUT 38 Silverton, O.K. Prowler 13
    I have always had good luck slow trolling the points with Rapalas. Make time to fish first light and just before sun down. We always fish up from Cottonwood (6-8 miles around power line) but have had good luck just outside Cottonwood Cove. Set out a few lines and idle around the points. Once you find the school, turn back and troll again or throw castmasters or small swim baits. Good luck.

8. riverplayer

riverplayer Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    Osprey 30' Long Cabin "Into The Mystic"
    Up river for sure in the quiet zones away from the boat traffic if possible.....As said....BIG BAITS in trout patterns. Fish chovies in the coves for the smaller versions. Usually will go wide open once you chum them in and get um going!

9. yot_fish

yot_fish Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Hobie PA 14
    a few words AC Plugs.

10. spear-fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CCOMPAQ%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thanks again for the dope. Definantly different from how I fished for them at Silverwood (basically soaking bait near the spillway). I&#8217;m pretty stoked to try all your suggestions.
    <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Ill</st1:place></st1:state> let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again.

11. nearbrt

nearbrt Newbie

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    kayak & 20'bass boat
    its 113 now[9:30 pm and 116 inthe day better be ready!!!!!!!111111