Any good Center Consoles For sale?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by |HEX|, Feb 1, 2014.

1. |HEX|

|HEX| Member

Name:
    Hector F
    Boat:
    "Blue Dream II" Parker 2320sl
    I'm in the market for a Center console my budget is $7,500. I'm looking for a Center console that can take me to Anacapa Island and maybe santa cruz Island from Oxnard Channel Island Harbor for mainly Spearfishing & H&L on occasion. Already looked at the Aluminum 21' Bayrunner, 17' Boston Whaler, Invader Center console. These boats seem to be within my budget but people keep telling me I need more boat to travel 15 miles offshore. I do realize I will need to pick the better days. Can I get some advice or suggestions from experienced people please. Thank you

HEX

2. |HEX|

|HEX| Member

Name:
    Hector F
    Boat:
    Any one with some experience wanna give me some insight? Thanks

3. |HEX|

|HEX| Member

Name:
    Hector F
    Boat:
    Bump

4. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    If you plan on choosing the better days to visit the islands, any of those mentioned boats will get you there. I'm not going to suggest any particular boat but the one you decide to buy, get it professionally inspected. The hull might look pretty but it could be in bad shape structurally and mechanically.
    Not sure where you plan to launch from but I've launched out of Oxnard and Ventura many times. The first several miles outside of the harbor, the sea condition can get really choppy with deep swells. The gaps between the islands can also get nasty with high winds and choppy conditions while the center of the island is glassy. I've had the bow dig into a deep swell resulting with a sheet of water flowing over the T-Top at one of the gaps. Not trying to scare you but you just need to be prepared for those "What if's" events when it happens. I've also traveled up and down to the San Miguel Gap on the windward side of the islands in glassy conditions in the same day. Although I pick my days carefully, mother nature can/will throw a can of whip ass at any given moment.

I've been out to Anacapa and Santa Cruz with a 18' Gregor CC which worked out well but it was tough in mixed conditions because of its light weight. I now have a 21' CC which is amazingly better in handling the mixed seas but bigger is always better. I still get my butt kicked when the weather gets nasty out there. By the way, I've read that Channel Islands is ranked as one of the most dangerous water crossings in the world.

Good luck and happy shopping.

NO4NMTL likes this.
  5. |HEX|

|HEX| Member

Name:
    Hector F
    Boat:
    SeaHawk thanks for the advice. That definitely makes me feel better about making a purchase. Safety is definitely top priority, I will not venture alone or without a VHF radio, GPS, Flares, Compass, vests, and other safety gear I forgot to mention. Believe it or not me and my friend ventured off to Anacapa Island this whole last month of January on his 12' inflatable with only a 20HP Honda, we did have all of the safety gear but conditions were so freakin' calm last month. I will make sure to hire a marine surveyor before I commit to a purchase with the boat of my choosing. I have read horror stories of water logged foam filled hulls. Thanks again for your reply it is very much appreciated.

HEX

6. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    One item I would highly recommend to add to the safety list is to purchase a EPIRB and/or a Personal Locator Beacon. This is a lifeline you would want to have when you are in a SOS situation. I don't have a EPIRB. I have an ACR ResQLink+ PLB. It's not only effective for boating but also on land. I take it when I travel, back country, road trips, etc.

7. |HEX|

|HEX| Member

Name:
    Hector F
    Boat:
    I will make sure to add a beacon to my list of saftey gear. Thanks again.

8. 805gregg

805gregg Newbie

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    1991 Skipjak 262 "Mischief"
    Why would you want a center console for this area? If you dive you will be very cold on the way back, find a cheap walkaround for some wind and weather protection for the Channel Islands area. Center consoles are great for warm water and warm weather, which we have neither

9. |HEX|

|HEX| Member

Name:
    Hector F
    Boat:
    I forgot to add to my original post. Fuel economy is high on my list of things I want from a boat, so is low maintenance. This is why I chose to shop for a center console. They seem like they are fairly lighter wait and would need smaller engines to get them going. Being cold on the way back is not a concern for me, just throw on a good jacket or keep my wetsuit on and I'm set.

10. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
  11. BiggestT

BiggestT I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SM
    Boat:
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    For $7,500 you're looking at a 20+ year old boat with a Force pre-mix outboard that's ready to throw a rod through the block at any moment. The trailer will require at least $1,000 in refurbishment and that's just the parts.

Nardo likes this.
  12. Nardo

Nardo Capt. Nick

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    "EL TIBURON" - 25' Anderson
    My 21' Parker will some be available but you are looking at a bit more than $7,500...

13. Nardo

Nardo Capt. Nick

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    "EL TIBURON" - 25' Anderson
    "For $7,500 you're looking at a 20+ year old boat with a Force pre-mix outboard that's ready to throw a rod through the block at any moment. The trailer will require at least $1,000 in refurbishment and that's just the parts."

So true! If you do go this route expect your maintenance costs to be insane.

14. R&R

R&R Member

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    CABO 226
    Maybe a panga would be a good boat to look at, or even a 20ft skipjack.

But I'd get info from nardo on how much for his Parker

15. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    I would be looking for a 21' bay runner or similar. It's going to have a 2 stroke on it but if it's in good shape it will be more than serviceable.

As with any single motor boat you want to take offshore I would suggest multiple batteries and vhf radios/antennas.

I think you're trying to get a lot for $7500 so you're going to have to make some compromises. The biggest thing the aluminums give away is the ride. If it's rough you will get pounded, otherwise they are safe and economical.

16. |HEX|

|HEX| Member

Name:
    Hector F
    Boat:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm still looking around and have found a few good deals but don't want to jump on something and then something better pops out.

17. Danthefishman

Danthefishman Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    19ft aluminum
    No offense but if you are looking for a gas sipping, comfortable ride, Low maintenance Boat I think you are going to be waiting a loooong time for something even close to your price. You are definitely going to have to make some compromises. Find a solid hull with a good motor. Learn that thing inside and out. Coming from an owner of several smaller offshore boats, learning your ride and what she can do is the biggest part. I have been offshore many times when the weather came up in the afternoon and I had no business being out there. I knew my ride and I carried more tools and spare parts then many people have in their garage. Owning a small boat will make you an instant weather nerd. I still check the weather everyday even when I have no trips planned. And remember sometimes they are VERY wrong. Good luck

NO4NMTL and PUDDLER like this.
  18. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    for $7500 id be looking for a 20' skipjack....screw that center console coming back from teh islands is gonna suck, ask me how I know

And I wouldnt buy a bayrunner unless you wanna end up 2" shorter than you are now

19. |HEX|

|HEX| Member

Name:
    Hector F
    Boat:
    I'm pretty sure that a 17' CC is a heck of a lot better to hit up the island than a 12' inflatable with a 20hp outboard which is what I've been doing the crossing with as of late with a buddy

20. |HEX|

|HEX| Member

Name:
    Hector F
    Boat:
    I don't know man I've already seen a lot of decent boats. I'm not going out 30 miles I'm only going to Anacapa and Santa Cruz not more than 15 miles offshore.
    This one needs a bit of cosmetic work but it looks solid for a day trip Local Island boat.
    http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/boa/4332376638.html