Any experience with single hooks on LC lures?

TanstaaflSD

Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Tanstaafl
Boat
n/a
Hey Friends,
I am thinking of doing this......should make catch & release easier......if it still catches???
Does anyone have experience switching single hooks for the stock trebles on the LC lures?
Any discernible bad effect on action?
Is release easier....or, do they self-release on the way in?
Thanks.
Tight lines

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor

Jon Cook

Sep 28, 2017
San Jose CA
Name
Jon Cook
Boat
n/a
Hey Friends,
I am thinking of doing this......should make catch & release easier......if it still catches???
Does anyone have experience switching single hooks for the stock trebles on the LC lures?
Any discernible bad effect on action?
Is release easier....or, do they self-release on the way in?
Thanks.
Tight lines
Yes, definitely works. I use VMC Inline hooks. Depending on what you're targeting, 1/0, 2/0...
I don't notice a change in action. Works great.

-Jon

alldaylong

Mar 20, 2019
point loma
Name
Rodrigo
Boat
no
I have been replacing the treble hooks on almost all my jerkbaits since march and not going back. I mostly fish halibut, calicos, spotties, croacker, and corvina from shore and haven't really notice much, if any, difference on hook up ratio or fish breaking free on the way in. On top of that, it is so much easier on the fish and quicker to release it too. No change in action of lure as well.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Did you use 1X or 4X hooks? I'm thinking maybe 1X so it will bend if hung on a rock or something? I don't use very heavy line surf fishing
What's the best split ring pliers for those small rings?
Is it helpful to change the rings too?
Thanks

alldaylong

Mar 20, 2019
point loma
Name
Rodrigo
Boat
no
For the LC flash minnow 110 I use VMC size 1. I haven't upgraded split rings yet but not a bad idea. I fish 15-20 powerpro with 12lb mono leader.

Reactions: Cubeye

GLcustomrods

Jun 15, 2013
Arcata, CA
Name
Graeme Lock
Boat
Grumman 17ft
I use the 4x hooks on everything they weigh a bit more and the owner 4X are the ZO wire which is awesome. I weigh out my trebles first as I take them off, and put on the corresponding weight singles. You end up with a wider gap, which is nice, and the lure keeps the same action, lucky crafts can be very picky I've noticed. SW pointers I use the same weight, FW pointers, staysees and other models I go one size up. FW lures are meant to suspend in FW, so they float slowly in the denser seawater. I like mine to suspend.

Alternatively, use whatever size you would like for gap, wire thickness, etc, and add suspenders or strips to the belly until it does what you want it to

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I am positive my LC lures don't run as well on single hooks.

Probably not true, but you know fishermen.

Reactions: Cubeye

Pesca714

Feb 16, 2019
Orange County
Name
Perry
Boat
Fat cat
No, but Thanks for the post. After seeing how alot of surf anglers that use the LC 110's hook fish in the bodies and face, I was also thinking of trying out single barb hooks to reduce this.

Reactions: alldaylong