Any chance for Sheepshead deep drop rockfishing?

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Heading out on a trip this weekend targeting rockfish. Was wondering if it would be worth bringing some clam to try to add a goat to the bag? I have been seeing that most boats are taking advantage of the new depths allowed for rockfish. My question is do sheepshead hang out down deep with rockfish? I have only personally caught them suspended around kelps, but god to they taste good.

mykiss

(Oncorhynchus) mykiss...
Jul 6, 2014
Name
Wallace Mathes
Boat
'95 Proline 210 Sportsman
Chunk bait (mackerel) outside the kelp at LJ, about 50 to 80' just off the bottom. Here are a couple caught last Sept:

DSCN1910.JPG

gettingbentwithbo

Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS

mykiss

(Oncorhynchus) mykiss...
Jul 6, 2014
Name
Wallace Mathes
Boat
'95 Proline 210 Sportsman
They're good eating; too bad they're not good looking as well.

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    Depends on where the half day boat goes. I was on the premier pm trip yesterday. We fished the ib pipeline, unlike the rest of the fleet.
    80-90feet of water. I pulled a mix bag of sandbass, calico, sculpin. Caught two undersized sheep on sardine chunks, sliding sinker. Saw someone pull out a undersized sheep on dropper loop with squid. That guy was mostly catching Whitefish and perch.

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    As someone else said...in 50 years fishing this coast you better be less the 200 if you want a goat...not saying they arent caught deeper but 250 would be a waste of time targeting them

gettingbentwithbo

Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Depends on where the half day boat goes. I was on the premier pm trip yesterday. We fished the ib pipeline, unlike the rest of the fleet.
    80-90feet of water. I pulled a mix bag of sandbass, calico, sculpin. Caught two undersized sheep on sardine chunks, sliding sinker. Saw someone pull out a undersized sheep on dropper loop with squid. That guy was mostly catching Whitefish and perch.

I am not going on a half day. I am going on a full day catalina trip.

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    I have caught sheephead at catalina down to about 250 feet. Almost all of the ones I have caught over 200 feet have been over 10 lbs. I would not target them that deep though. On an all day to catalina there is a good chance they will fish shallower at some point. So I would take some bait with you if you really want a sheephead.

Reactions: Noms and RicGao

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Wonder how these might work?

I tried similar plastics back East for Tautog (close wrasse relative to Sheepshead that only eat crabs, mollusks and other crustaceans) and they just never produced nearly as well. I think the reason is if you watch them eat they don't swallow baits. They put the crab in their mouth and crack the shell and then swallow so the texture/flavor is tasted before they commmit.

Reactions: Noms and Blackfish

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
    la mesa ca
    Name
    mike de vito
    Boat
    20ft nitro
    If you really want to score on the goats. Jump on an over night to San Nicholas Island Several years ago I was on a Turners charter on the New Hustler to San Nicholas. We scored limits of sheepshead for the boat The pool fish which include lingcod were two identical sheepshead that tip the scale at 19.5 pounds each. funny thing they were both caught by young ladies on either side of me Me dinks

Reactions: jer dog

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    I tried similar plastics back East for Tautog (close wrasse relative to Sheepshead that only eat crabs, mollusks and other crustaceans) and they just never produced nearly as well. I think the reason is if you watch them eat they don't swallow baits. They put the crab in their mouth and crack the shell and then swallow so the texture/flavor is tasted before they commmit.

Brett, how do you rig a crab? I’m a noob when it comes to sheephead

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    If you really want to score on the goats. Jump on an over night to San Nicholas Island Several years ago I was on a Turners charter on the New Hustler to San Nicholas. We scored limits of sheepshead for the boat The pool fish which include lingcod were two identical sheepshead that tip the scale at 19.5 pounds each. funny thing they were both caught by young ladies on either side of me Me dinks
    yep Nic ,is Goat Heaven .

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Thanks Brett! Do you catch your crabs or buy them?

I haven't done it a ton but when I have I've caught them. Just go flip over rocks during a lower tide on any rocky beach or I usually have some in my bait reciever at my dock that I take along. I've also seen people use Spider Crabs broken into smaller pieces.

Reactions: Arima-bob

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    I haven't done it a ton but when I have I've caught them. Just go flip over rocks during a lower tide on any rocky beach or I usually have some in my bait reciever at my dock that I take along. I've also seen people use Spider Crabs broken into smaller pieces.

Thank you again! I’m gonna have to try that.

Reactions: Northeastfshman