Any Advice re Putting Boat in SF Bay?

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by MYNomad, Mar 1, 2015.

1. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    In the fall, I will have two daughters going to school in the bay area and am thinking it would be fun to have the boat there for a few months. Sequoia Yacht Club and Westport Harbor would be convenient. Anything I should know before making the trip?

2. pelon2

pelon2 Newbie

Name:
    Marco
    Boat:
    various
    If you don't need to be in the city, I would recommend trying out Sausalito. It has been a while for me but when we ran up there it was always nice to make that left turn under the gate and into the sunshine. Much more laid back than the city.

http://www.schoonmakermarina.com/

We stayed here often, walking distance to nice restaurants and shopping.

bparker1225 likes this.
  3. chamackO

chamackO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    none
    Dont see many sportfishers up here. There is a Mikelson Nomad in South Beach Harbor, which is right behind AT&T Park.

4. dorado50

dorado50 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    Stay within the channel markers! Emeryville is pretty cool...........

5. brokeass boater

brokeass boater Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Gregg
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack w/Pilothouse, 21' Marada, 15' Boston Whaler
    In the fall the weather up here on the coast is the best time of year. Summer on SF bay is cold, windy and foggy most days. SF bay is huge, lots of micro climates. Sausalito is a upscale community and has a pretty nice harbor/small town that's more protected from the summer's wind and fog. It's a short drive into SF. Plus in the fall, the Albacore should still be around and Sausilto is close for getting out the gate (Golden Gate Bridge). Richmond is a PITA because its channel is narrow and easy to ground in the mud flats if your not paying attention to the markers, and so ghetto driving thru Richmond to the harbor. If you want the city experience any pier close to fisherman's wharf will put you into the middle of all the city's attractions. You can walk to pretty much all of it from there. No knowledge of the south bay, lots of harbors. Emeryville is on the east side of the bay, but I think you'll have a better home base for visiting and exploring from the SF side of the bay, plus I-80 sucks balls all along the east bay,,,gregg

6. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I mentioned it to my daughters and they weren't exactly thrilled to know that they might be seeing a lot of us (but if they get a key to the boat, it sounds like they are willing to take the bitter with the sweet). We will see.

7. DC61

DC61 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Paul L.
    Boat:
    33’ Blackfin
    Might be worth buying a condo for them to live in when you factor four years rent x2.

wils likes this.
  8. DoubletroubleII

DoubletroubleII Fish On!

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    19' Harbercraft
    You might want to consider Berkeley Marina as well, very short jump to S.F. and if you need to drive in the city "BART" (Bay Area Rapid Transit) is right there. The public transportation is much better than trying to find a parking place in S.F.

9. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    I wanted to explore that, but they both like living on campus / sorority.

10. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Not if you know how much realestate cost up here. Ridiculous.

I like the idea of you bringing the Nomad up and leaving the keys with your daughters.....can I get their digits?

I would second Sausilito. I have some friends in the Yacht Club and a few on live-aboards. Weather is always better there and it's the closest port to the open ocean.

marlyn likes this.
  11. BrianS

BrianS Boatswain's Mate

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Stringari
    I think Gregg summed it up pretty well, another advantage of berthing in SF in the bait barge is usually so that makes it easy. I typically went out of Richmond or Bazerkly picked up bait in SF and then headed out the Gate. If you are in Sausalito you will still need to go to the City for live bait. If you wanted to try the South Bay Oyster point has a nice facility just a little further to the Gate is all

12. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    :rofl:

13. willyok

willyok Member

Name:
    Will
    Boat:
    Aloha Lady 33' K&C.
    sounds like a fun time. I liked sausalito more than SF just for the ease of getting to and from the marina without going into the city. Berkeley is also not far. Have fun exploring the bay area. Go up the delta and maybe to Napa, Stay in the channels and watch for debris in the water on the outgoing tide. Every trip Ive made north got pretty snotty after Pt. conception so good luck with that.

Will

14. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Well, I have been floating the idea with the family and there is some degree of support. I really need to be close to campus (my daughters are on the sailing team so they are at the school's boat house several times a week, and I need to be as close to that as possible, so I think Sausalito is out, Sequoia yacht club and the the Port of Redwood City is in. Next step is to confirm that I can get a slip, and if that works out we should be there this fall. Before I arrive, I will post again asking for fishing advice and seeking fishing buddies willing to go out on my boat.

I should mention that I lived in Moraga for a few years during my youth (the late 60's, early 70's) and fished the bay at that time -- and had a great time; I remember catching salmon and always wanting to catch a sturgeon.

Thanks to all for their advice and encouragement!

15. fishe

fishe Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    none
    Are you asking about Serra point marina?
    Sierra Point Yacht Club
    500 Sierra Point Parkway · Brisbane, CA 94005-1896
    650-952-0651 · www.SierraPointYC.org

Member Login

Add Me To Your Mailing List

[​IMG]

Weather (Courtesy Allen Edwards)
    Manuals (Courtesy Allen Edwards)

Welcome to

Sierra Point Yacht Club

at Brisbane Marina

[​IMG]

The Sierra Point Yacht Club was established in 1984 to promote social interaction among the membership and other yacht clubs, with the intent of encouraging safe, enjoyable pleasure-boating. We are located in Brisbane California on San Francisco Bay, north of the San Francisco Airport and south of the city of San Francisco.

Breakfast at SPYC
    Join us 9 to 11 a.m. for brunch

1st Sunday of every month
    (check Calendar)

This is the best deal in town: Eggs, sausage, bacon, vegetables, fruit, waffles, coffee or tea. Check Calendar for special menus.

All are welcome!

Members: $7

Guests: $9

Upcoming Events
    3/13/2015
    Weekly Potluck

3/16/2015
    SPYC Board Meeting

3/20/2015
    Weekly Potluck

3/21/2015
    Monthly Dinner

3/27/2015
    Weekly Potluck

16. BrianS

BrianS Boatswain's Mate

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Stringari
    No he means Sequoia............ http://www.sequoiayc.org/node/63

The only issue I see it that is a long way from the Gate, I am not super familiar with that area but the water is pretty shallow around there so you need to watch your a** when moving around. I know the Cuanang brothers used to fish for Sturgeon down around the San Mateo Bridge and their book outlines some good areas. Over around Oyster Point you can also catch Halibut while drifting the flats.

The best thing might be to just rent a slip somewhere you like and the beauty of it is you can always move if it is not working for you. There is no shortage of marinas and Yacht clubs

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  17. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Correct -- Sequoia YC -- very close to my daughters' boat house and not far from campus. I would try to spend a long weekend there every two or three weeks.

Looks like the channels are narrow, but there is enough depth for my boat. It seems to be almost 30nm to the Gate, so too far for a day trip fishing, but probably not bad for sight seeing. That would be an adventure for my family and So. Cal. friends.

Thanks again to all for the advice.

18. agarcia

agarcia Member

Name:
    Art Garcia
    Boat:
    rowboat
    The South Bay ports are a completely different "experience" from those in the central or north bay. There's not a lot of waterfront development down past the san mateo bridge, the majority of the bay front is tidal marshland. As far as scenery goes on a cruise, you got a nice view of the mountains on both sides and the swampy shoreline. Its pretty cool sometimes to know you're completely surrounded by millions of people but away from it at the same time, downright peaceful most of the time. The shipping lanes in and out are the only place you'll be able to run though, there's a lot of shallow water down here.

The Port of Redwood City in general is pretty industrial, there's not much in the way of amenities, shopping or entertainment. The area actually looked pretty depressed last time I was down there (a couple years ago, may have changed now that the economy is bouncing back).

The fishing options,well the close ones anyway, are limited. The spring halibut/striper window is still a bit of a run to reach the Oyster Point or Alameda areas, I'd guess a +14 mile run. A lot longer if you want live bait since you'll have to run into the city then back down. We do get sturgeon in the fall winter but its not the most exciting game in town if you're not a highliner.

The only real advantage is having the on the water hangout for the kids after a sailing cruise. If you're looking for a cool weekend getaway condo on the water that is close to entertainment (hotels, restaurants, sightseeing, cruising) for you and guests.....it may disappoint.

BrianS likes this.